Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Source Fox 049's

Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
ebeneezer3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source Fox 049's

Doug Martin is assembling Fox 049s out of parts. The engine is a single bypass sport. It can be gotten with or without a tank. Peter Chinn reviewed the engine in the September ’69 issue of MAN. Does anyone have this issue or do they know any thing about the engine?

The engine without tank is $55 and with is $62.50 with a $6.00 shipping charge by USPS priority mail. Pricey if a dog.

Might be another source for 049s. He can be reached at: [email protected] . I don’t know if he can assemble any other type. I saw a reference on another forum and contacted him. I got a prompt reply.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 PM
ffkiwi

Default RE: Source Fox 049's

From memory it produced about 0,08 BHP-about the same as a Medallion or a Black Widow. What you really want is the Fox 049 FAI Special-which is what H&R (Randall Hopkins and (Richard Rikel) were assembling from Fox parts inventory before the death of one of them and the subsequent sale of the business to the current owner.
The 049 FAI was very nearly the equal of the TD, but peaked slightly lower at 19,000-so could turn a slightly larger prop-and is Nostalgia legal. It does NOT share many parts with the std sport engine-other than the backplate/tank, prop/spinner nut,gaskets and possibly the head. Key components-crankcase, shaft and piston/liner are different.
Another thing to remember is that Fox glowheads are not compatible with Coxes and vice versa-and no aftermarket heads are available for the Fox.
Doug Galbreath does a nice radial mount for the Fox

'ffkiwi'
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Virginia Hobby Sport lists the FAI Fox:

Click on the Engines button (Doh!)

http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/index.htm

He also lists the glowheads under Fox parts.

I have purchased Brodak Dope from them and talked to the owner on the phone who is very helpful. It's a first rate shop.

David
Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM
gcb

I got two of the FAI .049's when Randal Hopkins was running the business. They had been test run and test figures were supplied, including date, temp, humidity, fuel, prop, and of course, RPM. A note was included that I could send them back for ones that had not been run if I wanted them for a collection. I bought them with the tank. All of the "fixins" came to use it without tank.

Don't know if Doug Martin is still doing all of this. I understand that he is doing the .049, .07, FAI .049, plus glow plugs and spares. There is a pic of them in the new issue of Flying Models.

Oh yes, both of mine run very well.

George

Here are mine: The ones with spinner cones are the FAI .049's (with and without tank.from Randall Hopkins, the other one is a Fox .07 bought new when they first appeared in the fifties.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14414.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	846472  
Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
jessiej

My understandimg from years ago was that some of the FAI Foxes ran very well indeed, but that Fox had difficulty with maintaining precission of fit. I gather that Duke finaly became disgusted with trying to make money with small enginee.

jess
Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

Doug Martin is also assembling the FAI Fox. (as well as the regular ones) The great thing about his engines is that he hand fits each engine, sets it up for the buyers specific purpose, then tests the engine on the stand. I just ordered one. It takes a while, he is swamped since being mentioned in the AMA magazine. I ordered the sedate version, set up for duration. For a little extra, I ordered it with the spinner used on the FAI engine! I can hardly wait...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

yea its great but what do you about glow heads with cox you have all kinds of after market heads to choose from thats the only thing keeping me from buying one
Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 AM
ebeneezer3

Good to hear about their performance, after tax time I'll try to get one. I'm gonna owe this year. Perhaps a burned out head could be drilled and tapped for a turbo plug

Ted
Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
gcb

ORIGINAL: gabe200

yea its great but what do you about glow heads with cox you have all kinds of after market heads to choose from thats the only thing keeping me from buying one
I would give Doug Martin a call. Perhaps the plugs are not left-overs.

BTW, does anyone know if one plug fits all three engines? I do not have the regular .049 version.

George
Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ebeneezer3

Good to hear about their performance, after tax time I'll try to get one. I'm gonna owe this year. Perhaps a burned out head could be drilled and tapped for a turbo plug

Ted

Yes, and here's how it can be done with just a drill press and the right tap and a Phillips screw driver tip. The advantage here, is that there are a number of manufacturers for turbo plugs in a good variety of heat ranges.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...tm.htm#4533758

Incidentally, I have two of the FAI Fox .049s and on 25% fuel and a 6 X 3 prop, I got a decent 19,000 RPM. What I find interesting is that the Fox engine is a bit of a long stroke.