Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

H.O.B kits any good?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

H.O.B kits any good?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:24 AM
skyraider71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.O.B kits any good?

Has any one built the H.O.B. Spacewalker or Decathelon? Did ya like it?
I'm looking for small sporty model in .09-.15 size.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: H.O.B kits any good?

Bought the Spacewalker kit. Opened it up & started to put stuff on the scale. Guestimated that the completed plane (with Enya .09 power) was gonna be 32+ OZs. Put the stuff back into the box, & the box far back up on the shelf. It's too easy to just order another Mini Super Sportster. (About 19+ OZs with the .09). ....................... George K.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 PM
rbeluche

I built the Force One many moons ago and I liked the kit. It went together well and the die cutting was great. It was not too heavy, but then the balsa in the kit was not flimsy either. It flew very well with an OS 40 bushing motor. Had to have the stock muffler pointing towards the nose of the plane as it requires a pusher configuration, but no problems with performance, just a bear to fight ground effect upon landing, which needed to be slightly on the hot side. Originally had an airtronics 4ch but someone talked me into using a FUTABA, PTUI,PTUI. INterference caused a tragic attempt at boring a hole to China. SOB, sniff BOO HOO!!!
Frank
Old 07-01-2008, 08:03 AM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

House of balsa kits are great and fun to build. Balsa USA kits are nice too, just finished a Force One, but HOB kits are from a different company. I've built the Chea-Pass Float plane .10, Chea-Pass Stick .10, and the PT-19, with Saito 30. All fly very well and none are heavy. I've also got the Spacewalker in kit form as well as the P-51 .25, and a 2x2 glider. All of their kits are very well made and designed. The instructions tend to be good if you've built other kits before.

Have Fun!
Larsen
Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old HOB kits are what Sig would call "Craftsman Kits." The boxes contain a bunch of balsa blocks that must be shaped my hand. Personally, I love creating mounds of wood shavings on the floor. But, if you want a quick build the Ace Simple Series is probably a better choice.

Here's a HOB ad from the 12/79 RCM; the kits have been around for a while.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43305.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	982133  
Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM
fritzke

Dave,
Thanks for reminding me that I am missing that Pete kit!
I'm with you, love to carve them blocks of balsa! Beats vac-formed
plastic any day. Of course, the fuselage tops of all those warbirds
ARE vac-formed plastic.
Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 03:36 PM
rainedave

That's right, I almost forgot about the fuse tops. I liked the way they printed plans on both sides. My Chipmunk had the Bonanza plans on the back. I sold it before ever even starting it. Now, I wish I still had it.

David
Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
longdan

Those wing loadings are quite high compared to what we would consider a 'normal' 1/2A loading for a .049 today. I guess the RC gear of the day is to blame for the excessive weight. I'm sure the same kits would turn out quite a bit lighter with micro RC gear.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
eroc144

Of course, the fuselage tops of all those warbirds ARE vac-formed plastic.
I never liked that detail - kinda hard to sand plastic so the joint has to be absolutely perfect. Luckily it's an easy task to cut replacement formers out of balsa, then sheet and sand it to a smooth finish!

EG
Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
rainedave

The only rc kit I've ever started and didn't finish was a Lanier Stinger .10. Man, I hate vaccuform parts.

Two of my most used tools:

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71628.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	982272  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

I just finished a HOB P-51. I also just added an inch to my biceps. If you want a good workout, these kits are great.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
build light

My only HOB kit was the ME 109 when they had the special Norvel combo deal.
I was used to the simpler kits like the Ace series.
Boy was I surprised how full that box was and all the balsa! First thing I noticed was the plastic cowl was missing! Of course it wasen't missing once I looked the plans over.

David, nice ad for thr HOB planes.
Anyone have the ad HOB ran for the Norvel combos? Was it just the warbirds in that promo?

Robert
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 AM
cortacesped

IĀ“m building the HOB Beechcraft Bonanza form plans. A lot of work in the wings, but they look very good. I stil donĀ“t know what to do with the vacuum formed canopy (maybe 1/32 balsa sheeting), but letĀ“s go step by step.

Claudio
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

I am doing a Decathelon right now. teaching my girls on how to build them. these kits have great laser cut wood. the fus is laser marked where all formers go and bits of wood has a line to glue down to make sure everything is correct. this balsa isnt anywhere near contest grade at all. but the kit will be very strong. it has bass wood dowls for leading edge and a two piece solid spar that the ribs glue all laser maked for correct spacing. there is allot of design that went into these kits.

If you want a really light kit call them to see if they will cut you one out of some contest grade balsa. the only thing i will change on the balsa for this kit is one of the fus sides is made out of 8-10 pound balsa and the other is out of 14-16lbs stuff. I will use a OS 30 FS or a Saito 40.

the warbird plane all do very well with OS/magnum 15 in the nose and theHOB 20 size mustang will easily handle the OS32 size engines. A good engine for the 20 size stang is a webra .36 Hint Hint
Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: build light

My only HOB kit was the ME 109
I built one of these twenty years ago, it built so easy and the plans where so good it turn out great. I took it o the LHS to show my friend, he loved it so much he traded me a built .60 Drity Bridi straight up for it and hung it up in his shop, five years later I went to another LHS and saw it hanging up so I asked about it. The owner of the LHS saw it hanging in the other LHS and just had to have it, so he bought it. I'm not that good of a builder, it was just that easy to build well.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
flyinrog

I got a mustang years ago and after the shock of the wood in the box I decided to tackle it anyway,,,very quickly my 10 year old brains attention span said f this and I gave it away....I bought the stick and spacewalker...again in a bad move while epoxy was setting the wings slid and set about a 1/4 of an inch apart....the stick , well it flew once into the swamp, but it flew fine till a gust hit it....but if you build it you will find there are well built kits, sturdy......Rog
Old 07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

I must be too old to remember that these were 'hard' kits to build. Built most of them in the 70's as HOB released them. All were TD powered 2 channel with pressurized fuel systems. Done that way they were light and fun to fly. Building was not much of an effort and believe it or not at the time the plastic top was considered a real time saver. Not very hard to build that top flush into the box structure of the fuse.
Given the current condition of todays sport flyer kits, heavy, interlocked and non descript, made to the lowest common denominator, I can see why these kits would not find favor in todays market.Try looking at them as an excuse to improve your building skills, not a pathway to instant gratification.
Dennis
Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: dennis

I must be too old to remember that these were 'hard' kits to build. ......Try looking at them as an excuse to improve your building skills, not a pathway to instant gratification.
Dennis

Well said![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

They really are good kits. A useful change I made to the wings was to substitute 1/8" sq spruce for the spars, vice 1/8" sq balsa. Little bit of weight gain, HUGE strength gain. I added 1/32" sheet webs to one of them once, but didn't see a big difference in stiffness.

Speaking of the 1/2A Pete, I still have one I built years ago, powered with a Golden Bee. The fuselage on this design is totally overbuilt. Couple that with heavy wood, and you end up with a dog as I did. [:'(]

John
Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 PM
CC_Brown

The ad for the Norvel and H.O.B. combos was published by Nothern Velocity, not House of Balsa. "House of Balsa" is a Frank Tiano Co. located in Yucca, Calif., "Ace R/C Distributing is located in Higginsville MO., the two are not related.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I am doing a Decathelon right now. teaching my girls on how to build them. these kits have great laser cut wood. the fus is laser marked where all formers go and bits of wood has a line to glue down to make sure everything is correct. this balsa isnt anywhere near contest grade at all. but the kit will be very strong. it has bass wood dowls for leading edge and a two piece solid spar that the ribs glue all laser maked for correct spacing. there is allot of design that went into these kits.
I also decided on a House Of Balsa Decathlon. I called up the company, and they said that it's designed for 1/2A and school yard scale, so my OS 10 LA should work fine with it. I'll upload some photos when I get it. Has anybody else built one?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: CC_Brown

"House of Balsa" is a Frank Tiano Co. located in Yucca, Calif., "Ace R/C Distributing is located in Higginsville MO., the two are not related.
Ace is no longer in Higginsville. According to http://www.telehobbies.com/news.htm a 10 year old news item on 6/16/97, Thunder Tiger purchased them and the operation is now in Lake Forest, California and is called Ace Hobby Distributing ( http://www.acehobby.com/ace/index.htm ) . I was trying to find a couple sets of their foam wings for a couple 1/2A kits that I built in the late 70's from RCM plans but they do not appear to be available (at least from Ace) any more.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Yuu

Mooney... you're in luck... sorta. Somewhere in these threads there is talk of currently available foam wings simular to the old Ace products, but the new foam weighs 1/3 LESS !! Someone will join in....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
John C

Since the original question included the Spacewalker I'll chime in. I built mine with a Norvel .074, a 350 mah NiMh pack, Spektrum 6100 Rx and HS 81 servos and covered with Monokote. This is a good flying combination. I subsequently put it on floats and it remains aerobatic and takes off well from grass or water.

It's a reasonably docile flyer I'd recommend to anyone who wants to build.

John C
Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
John C

Since the original question included the Spacewalker I'll chime in. I built mine with a Norvel .074, a 350 mah NiMh pack, Spektrum 6100 Rx and HS 81 servos and covered with Monokote. This is a good flying combination. I subsequently put it on floats and it remains aerobatic and takes off well from grass or water.

It's a reasonably docile flyer I'd recommend to anyone who wants to build.

John C

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.