Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any Good Fathers Day Loot?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any Good Fathers Day Loot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:32 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Good Fathers Day Loot?

Anyone get some goodies for Fathers Day? My Pop sent me a new drill press from Harbor Freight! I feel bad now that all I got him was a card[sm=red_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66834.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	971169  
Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Dan Vincent

Default RE: Any Good Fathers Day Loot?

I got something pricless from Abby, my ten-year old grand-daughter yesterday.

She is at the World Pinto Championships in Tulsa, Oklahoma and yesterday she took first place in one of her classes which makes her a World Champion.
She followed up with a 7th in another class.

Needless to say this is one proud Grandpa.

Here's a picture of her at a local contest last year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53273.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	971229  
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim,

I have one of those drill presses from Harbor Freight too. Not what you'd call a "precision instrument" but more than adequate for my purposes.

My mothers brothers (Frank, Tony, Pete, and Phil) took me under their collective wing when my father deserted us when I was a kid. I was the first grandchild - and a male - and the result was that I had outstanding male role models from that time on.

It always seemed like they were trying to keep up with the others when it came to sharing their "manly skills" with me. They were always building something; boats, ham radio equipment (my first R/C), houses, furniture, you-name-it. So I was exposed to it all. They often argued as I suppose brothers are genetically engineered to do - but one thing they agreed on (and drilled into me) was that you should always buy the best tools you can afford. Well, as much as I benefitted from the rest of their instruction and care, in this case I guess the lesson was lost on me.

If you looked around my "play room" (as my wife calls it) you'll see other tools from 'the Harbor'. The best tool among the usual bunch is my scroll saw. For what I use it for precision is a necessity. The rest, not so much.

Jeeze, I didn't mean to get so long winded. All I intended to say when I sat down was that since I retired I have doubled the number of power tools I use regularly and they have made a huge difference in the projects I tackle and the time it takes me to "get it done".

Enjoy your new tool - and check out the sanding drums they sell at the Harbor.

Dan,

Ain't grandkids the greatest?! I feel your joy.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Mr. Mugen

I spent the day with my kids. We went 4 wheeling and then off to the flying field. I only brought one plane but flew the wings off it. My 2 older daughters came along and rooted me on to do stuff a sukhoi wasn't meant to do....I did it anyway....they loved it. As far as loot.....nope. Just lots of love and quality time. I asked them not to buy me anything......so they made me some stuff. Like a 4 foot card!
Old 06-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worked my routine shift at the plant, followed by a great meal cooked by my 15 yr old daughter. Then I went outside and repaired the landing gear mount on my Four Star 60. All in all a good day.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
uliner

My boys (14 and 16) got me a new shop stool, I only had one, now they have a place to sit when working with me.

We do a lot of rockets and science projects in the shop.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Jburry

I got a card and a steak from the wife and 1 year old daughter, that was nice. The best part tho, came the day before. We went garage saling, usually a bust for stuff I want, but I found the most amazing thing! A COX SandBlaster .049 powered sand racer. It came in an old tube amp box with a few unrelated bits and pieces, but the car itself was complete. The exhaust side rear tire is hardened and brittle, but I covered that with a piece of inner tube for now. I'll have to find a decent replacement.

I tried turning the engine over, but no go. This is the smallest pull-start unit I've ever used! I wrapped the first inch of starter cable with thread and clear nailpolish to keep from stabbing my fingers on the freyed steel cable. It's not bad and should hold up a while.

I disassembled the car to pieces, and cleaned the dried castor off each piece. It had seen some running in its day! Efforts to coax the piston outta the cylinder were frustrated, so I resorted to a hammer, dowel and drilled maple block. 30 or 40 sharp blows of the hammer finally shifted the piston free. Folks, run your engines dry after each session!

Cleaned up the cyl and piston with paper towel and waste glow fuel (jug dregs) and they fitted OK. The piston will almost come right thru the cylinder, but somehow compression is acceptable.

I threw 'er all back together and put about 15ml of Omega 15% in the soldered metal "Perfect" tank. Held the glow driver to the head and began priming/pulling. Burp.... Burp.... Thwudda.... BRAAAAAAA!!!! Off she went! The wife just watched, me not the car.... Said the look on my face was priceless.

I've never had a free running car that took anything but batteries. This was soooo much cooler, once you got her fired. Power is just shy of unlimited (when it hits something, the rear tires simply dig ruts, no bogging out here!), and the lean song at the end of the tank is sheer joy!

I was forced to add a head gasket to make it easier to start (was overcompressed), but otherwise this 36 year old chunk of plastic and COX fury is running great.

Cost to me: $5 and an hour's cleanup.

Priceless.

J
Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 PM
propbuster

Glad to hear so many good Fathers Days events! Raymond, more positive male role models are what this country needs. My Pop instilled way too much good stuff in me to even start writing about. I think model aviation was one of the best. It encorporates so many skills I find necessary in my day to day life. I'll also always remember when he bought me a 4' wood lathe after I won the industrial arts award in the 7th grade. Many hrs were spent in the basement making lamps, table legs, bowls and more lamps!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Since this is about Father's Day and role models I am happy to say that I personally know of one exceptional father who posts in this forum. I'm sure there are many more but this guy and his son I know first hand. I have flown with them both (as have others in the Crew) and broken bread with "pop" on several occassions. Every time we get together he always has some anecdote about a joint project in the workshop or an experience at the field. Makes me smile every time I think of them.

(Alas, this father is not entirely normal in many other respects but hey, ya can't win 'em all.)
Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
propbuster

Raymond, I know who mean and what you mean. He is a great guy and just a little interesting to say the least.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]