Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

"New" magazines and construction articles for 1/2A-A

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

"New" magazines and construction articles for 1/2A-A

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "New" magazines and construction articles for 1/2A-A

I just inherited a bit of model stuff through a friend, whose uncle passed away earlier this year - she thought I would appreciate it and give it a good home, which I do and did respectively.

Leafing through a small pile of mid '60's RCM's (I love old magazines!), it was tough to find an issue which did not contain a 1/2A construction article, or at least a small model for .09-.15 engines. What a far cry from today. I scribbled a quick list of the articles I found so far, see below. All of the magazines are in excellent shape. I could be coaxed to scan these articles for interested parties..

In no particular order, except that in which they were stacked:

July 66

Top Dawg, Ken Willard, .09
RCM "Name the Plane" contest design, .09. There was also a beatifully built example of this model in the collection with an OS PET .09.

April 66

Pipsqueak, Dave Robelen, .010
Wolfmeister LR-3, Don Dewey, .049-.09 (think Stiks and DNU's)

May 67

Profile Champ, Herman Geller, .020 (kinda ugly but funcitonal - profile with a boxy bit on the nose, micro gear would fit easily on it now)

Oct 68

Not 1/2A, but a very intersting article by Robert Reed, where NASA Flight Research Center was beginning to look at the R/C model market as a resource for sub-scale research using relatively inexpensive off-the-shelf gear. The article focussed on a 15 pound "mother ship" powered by twin .60's used to carry up test models of lifting bodies. Reminiscent of University/College heavy lifter designs. He described the difficulties of inertial and aerodtnamic scaling, esp. of supersonic aircraft. Neat stuff.

Also I spotted, in all these issues, the ads I remember and used to ogle back then as a kid, and to this day I still want a DMECO Acrobat.

June '67

Tern, Chuck Anderson, .020 powered glider.

Nov 64

Gnat Bipe, Dan McClain, a 7-1/2" span .010 bipe to compete in a local contest against Ken Willard's 8" span record mark. The early to mid .60's seemed to be a prolific period for Ken Willard, much to everyone's benefit of course.

Can someone shed some light on Ueda engines? Did they come and go in the '60's?

Mar 66

Tee Dee Bee, Loren Dietrich, .049

Oct 66

Mo-Jo, Ed Simpson, .09
Li'l Bipe, Arthur E. Schultz, .020 - cute!
Pfiff bipe, John P. Garde, .15-.23

May 66

Revolutionary new product reviewed - Monokote!

Nov 65

Good Neighbor (that's "neighbour" up here..), Ken Willard, .010 - pylon mounted engine and sponge rubber nose, designed not to break neighbour's windows, always a problem with dodgy small gear and urban flying.

June 65

Royal Coachman, Don Dewey, .09-.15

Feb 66

Pikolo, Hoh Fang-chuin, .09-.15 high wing cabin model reminiscent of Esquires and the like

Mar 67

An article describing the problem of losing fields due to noise and pissy neighbours. This is certainly not a recent phenomenon - some things never change do they?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM
tri-pacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "New" magazines and construction articles for 1/2A-A

MJD,

How about scanning the Li'l Bipe and the Pikolo: Those are two I don't have. By the way, nice find!

chuck
Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: tri-pacer

MJD,

How about scanning the Li'l Bipe and the Pikolo: Those are two I don't have. By the way, nice find!

chuck
Yeah, no problem. I don't have a scanner, but my buddy does. Maybe I'll blitz through the lot and have them on the ready.

There are three more mags I lent to him, and I'll see what's in there as well. Those three all contain mentions of Lou Andrew's Aeromaster, which was announced in 1965 and kitted soon after by AAMCO. He has a flying example built from an original AAMCO kit, and was thrilled to find out it's origins as he seems to be in love with it. He also has one more AAMCO kit of which only one wing has been built, which he said he'd give to me to finish (DROOL DRIP PANT [X(]). His flies on a Kraft .61, and is a bit heavy with maybe 0.8:1 thrust to weight. It is still a joy to fly and of course is a good exercise in energy management for aerobatics. Mucho coupling in knife-edge, I still need to wrench it away and check wing incidences.

I wish I had my late brother's old ST .56, I'd love to put it in there, or in an Acrobat. My memories of that engine are from about age 7-8, when at our cottage it pulled a large glassed-foam "free flight" airboat around in huge, fast circles which would - go figure - often end up heading straight back at the boat which was never running when it really ought to be. Luckily he had a tiny tank in it or it would have got us. We made several airboats out of those small foam flutterboards, with Pee Wees and Babe Bees on them.

In the same era, he was building small R/C equipment and flying float equipped Tomboys very succesfully with Pee Wees and Babe Bees. Oh yeah, then there was that FF sheet balsa P-38-ish thing with a Babe Bee, that he'd also launch from the same boat, and which liked to loop back and try to take our heads off. At least it floated.

Ahh, my youth.. cue Barbara Streisand: "Memories.. may be beautiful but yada yada yada"..

Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

How about adding this data to the post I started a few years back? Getting it all in one place saves the searching through all the posts and forums.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2259664/tm.htm

This will help people locate every 1/2a model we can find info on.

Great find!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Andrew

I had forgotten about the thread. Kinda fun rereading the list of available models.

Maybe Bruce can "sticky" the thread since it is a real resource for plans.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:35 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Remby
How about adding this data to the post I started a few years back? Getting it all in one place saves the searching through all the posts and forums.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2259664/tm.htm
Done!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 PM
MJD

Here's a few more:

RCM

Nov 66

.049 - .09 pusher "Formula 4" RC cars. Powered RC soapbox derby racers to my eyes, looks fun.

Apr 67

Hoosier Hot Shot, Owen Kampen, .049 Goodyear racer styled sport plane, single channel, Midwest foam wing and stab.

Jan 67

Shearwater, Ken Willard, 1/2A seaplane, I like the lines!

and get this:

Dec 66

B-24, Frank Baker, 4 x TD .020, single channel! Whee!
Whiz Kid, Owen Kampen, .049 single channel trainer, Midwest foam wing.
Cessna 150, Owen Kampen, .049 2nd model, Midwest foam wing.

The Whiz Kid and Cessna 150 were designed to be the first two steps in a successful program for an RC beginner, and the idea behind them is as sensible now as it was then. Keep it simple and don't scare them from the hobby, use models that bounce.

MJD
Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 PM
ffkiwi

ORIGINAL: MJD

June '67

Can someone shed some light on Ueda engines? Did they come and go in the '60's?
The Ueda engines did come and go in the 60's. They were also imported into the UK-and one or two were tested in Aeromodeller (and possibly in RCM&E) The Ueda 45R/C was tested in the March 1967 issue of AM and the 09 R/C in the March 1969 issue. Both were pleasant handling but appreciably below average in power output. In the case of the 45, the cylinder port timing was well off-and when this was corrected by the UK importer the modified 45 produced quite acceptable power-without the loss of any of the pleasant handling characteristics. IIRC 15 and 19 displacement models were also produced in the Ueda range. The 45 looked very much like a Veco, and the smaller 09 not unlike a Max 10. It seems that the manufacturer did not entirely grasp the subtleties of small 2-stroke design.
In the UK at the time, they were cheap motors-competing with the Fujis rather than with the OS and Enya range.

'ffkiwi'
Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 AM
gcb

Here are a couple of pics of the UEDA .15 RC. The throttle came with an exhaust butterfly (in the box). As mentioned, smooth running, moderate power.

Sorry for the poor pics. BTW, they were also known as "Cougar" engines.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15716.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	975244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51987.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	975245  
Old 06-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

MJD;
Thanks , you added to the base of power for your fellow 1/2a flyers!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:25 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Remby

MJD;
Thanks , you added to the base of power for your fellow 1/2a flyers!
No sweat, I love poring through old magazines. Over the next few days I'll get all those scanned, and then I can send them to interested parties.

I missed the Curtiss Wright pusher that is in the same issue as one of the above, I'll add that in when I am sitting in front of the PC with the magazine which I'm not at this moment.

There's 3 or so out of this lot that really catch my eye, maybe I'll think about building them for a while.. . Maybe I'll actually do it sometime. [sm=lol.gif]

MJD
Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
logair

I quit flying control line around 1962 or so and got into RC single channel with a Cox 049 baby bee and a mini mambo. I remember having the plans to a nice looking plane called RADIO ROGER never did build it and the plans have since been lost or loaned out years ago. It appeard in one of the sixties mags. If I am not mistaken it was powered by an 074 of some kind, Anyone remember this one? logair
Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: logair

I remember having the plans to a nice looking plane called RADIO ROGER never did build it and the plans have since been lost or loaned out years ago. It appeard in one of the sixties mags. If I am not mistaken it was powered by an 074 of some kind, Anyone remember this one? logair
Post deleted.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Yuu

Ahhh.... Question. If RCU does not support .pdf images, then WHY does the RCU screen have a "pop-up" urging me to install the Adobe Acrobat stuff so I can view .pdf ???? For the past four months my confuser has had a 'hate' relationship with Adobe. It will not open any .pdf..... EVER !!! It says it will install Adobe 5.0.5 ... then does that.... then will install something else.... then............... Nothing!! It never will open any .pdf. Before Christmas everything on RCU opened worderfully. Since then..... nothing. I have deleted ALL Adobe stuff at least 10 times... and 'reloaded' straight from the Adope website... still, no luck. There must be a virus in my confuser somewhere, but,,,, I can't find it. And we run four virus killers every day, including Cyberdefender and AVG. Anyone else with this problem? Sorry to post this in a 'old magazine' thread, but I would like to open the pictures and plans.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Falco250

Hi Huu, What error message do you receive when installing freeAdobe Reader or when attempting to open a .pdf file?
The latest free Adobe Reader version for WXP is V.9:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Falco250 ///
Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, I'll remind you that we will not tolerate posting of plans or full articles from magazines that are still in publication or where the plans are available from proper sources. As such this means ALL of the RCM plans since they still offer them going back to their first issue. Please respect this and do not copy such material.

It's a different issue where the magazine has become defunct and there is no authourized follow on source for plans or for where permission was obtained. Even there we're skating on thin ice and I would have to respect the wishes to delete the material from someone if they can show they have the rights to the material.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Guys, I'll remind you that we will not tolerate posting of plans or full articles from magazines that are still in publication or where the plans are available from proper sources.
Since posting a reduced version of an available plan violates RCU guidelines, I've removed the Radio Roger from a previous post. After some extensive searching, I was able to locate a source: AMA plans, plan #33340 for $12.00. The original plan was published in the now defunct American Modeler in 1958; it designed by Frank Ehling. AMA plans lists Howard McEntee with the plan set, but probably because he was editor of AM at the time.

The original was powered with a CUB .075 diesel. It has a 50" span and very pleasing lines which is why I posted it initially. With a .074, it should be a superb flyer. If any reader would like to see a layout, PM me.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Plans with the AMA may be a grey area. I'm not sure about the ramifications of that one. Especially the old historical stuff like this. But anyway thanks for pulling it voluntarily just in case. I was more worried about the RCM stuff discussed earlier but the AMA plans may be in a similar situation.