Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Start 'Em out Young!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Start 'Em out Young!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start 'Em out Young!

My son Greyson, third generation Aeromodeler, almost 6 yrs old, first time at the sticks. First lesson went pretty good, working on making a 180 degree turn from strait and level flight without losing too much altitude. He's pretty good on the sim, but we all know that it's not the same as the real thing Starting him out on a big, high wing .40 size trainer, but have a Cox Cessna Skylane and an Ace ME 109 waiting in the hangar for when he's ready.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61938.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1000698   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43586.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1000699  
Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Start 'Em out Young!

Very cool! Maybe for the next lesson, he should wear some shades, or a brim hat....or both. Teaching kids to fly takes some patients.....your a good man.

Kevin
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The hardest part with younguns is getting the point across about angle of attack and air speed. Especially the part about monitoring airspeed.
The manipulations to keep a plane from crashing is what I was taught and it was enough to fly gliders and trainers.
Good luck with your Son........don't forget to hook him up with a control liner someday, too.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
skyraider71

My six year old daughter has asked me more than once to build her a plane!
I wonder how a H.O.B. 2X4 will look in pink? LOL![sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim,
You need to alert the police! There is some weird looking guy hanging out with your son

CP, I dis-agree. The hardest part is keeping them intrested. My little guy was flying an oval pattern at 18mo and still can fly around for fun. It's just a lot harder to get him to go to the field these days. He likes hanging out with his buddies a bit more than me anymore.

Both my kids love coming down into the shop though and I am very greatfull for that.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 PM
propbuster

Kevin, GOOD point about the shades! I wear transitions and didn't even think about his eyes. Won't forget next time! His biggest distraction was a swarm of bugs what keep flying around his legs.

Chuck, He noticed that the plane goes faster when it's decending (like in one of his turns ) Butf For right now he's only working the right stick, we'll get to throttle control and co-ordinated turns later

Vic, Yeah, but that weird looking guy's a better pilot than ME[sm=tongue_smile.gif]. I do hope he keeps up the interest, and I also can't keep either him or my daughter out of the shop when I'm working on something. So, yeah, just the hanging out together is cool too[8D]
Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Vic, remember........ you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. As a youth, I only had a passing interest in planes. Baseball was #1, Football was #2 and soccer was a girl's sport.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was all the things my parents didn't let me do that I do like crazy as an adult....like r/c planes, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers........ Glad they didnt let me ...might have got tired of it by now.....
Old 07-31-2008, 07:24 AM
propbuster

Hey skyraider71, You mean something like this?

Name:	Ca82289.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1001226  
Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Wow, I must admit, it takes a confident man to walk up to a flightline with a pink or purple plane. I'd get my a$& kicked and humiliated if I showed up with anything that color, unless it was a sig extra 300, but I'd still get ribbed for that as well. Hat's off to ya...., you have bigger nads than me!

But gliders are an excellent way to get them started, slow and very forgiving, add a power pod and tripple thier flight time, then go to trainers and then low wings. I learned soo much from my GP spirit that I'll never forget, especially the part about wearing sunblock to keep from getting blisters in the sun.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:26 PM
propbuster

That was my first Ace High MK ll I learned to fly on. The color scheme hot pink and purple was requested by my llittle girl. How could I say no to my little sweetie?

Name:	Hf98920.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1005208  
Old 08-05-2008, 06:35 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I still have a roll of hot pink, everytime I look at it I get dizzy from the glow it radiates! I olny have the covering because I built a midstar .40 for a friend about 13 years ago, back when hot pink and lime green were in style on planes.