Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Conquest Piston Liners

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Conquest Piston Liners

Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cox Conquest Piston Liners

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

I got one of these from Devious Dave a while back and have recently pulled a kit off the shelf for it. I've got a header sticking out the back, but that's it. Is there a pipe or something I should be looking for?

The stock pipe was a 1/4 wave, but some folks have been putting tuned pipes on them. I called RJL to see what people were doing with this and was told they were using MAC's header and pipes. So, I called MAC and he sounded like I was from mars or something. Dunno what to tell you on this one.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

I got one of these from Devious Dave a while back and have recently pulled a kit off the shelf for it. I've got a header sticking out the back, but that's it. Is there a pipe or something I should be looking for?

The stock pipe was a 1/4 wave, but some folks have been putting tuned pipes on them. I called RJL to see what people were doing with this and was told they were using MAC's header and pipes. So, I called MAC and he sounded like I was from mars or something. Dunno what to tell you on this one.

Got a smile, from the RJL response to you. A few years ago, I purchased one of those anemic K&B .18 engines from Mecoa. After break-in, tried some different props & fuel combos, but the engine was always a dog. Went to the Mecoa forum & stated my case, that the engine ran just a tad better than a well used $25 Enya 15, that I got off of the 'bay. Instead of giving me a reply about the K&B, the mecoa rep told me that I wasn't getting those kind of RPMs out of the Enya. He then told me the max RPMs that the Enya would give using an 8x4 prop. !!! I replied back & mentioned the super performance figures that they (RJL/MECOA) advertised. These figures were with a pipe installed. I asked for specifics about the pipe measurements. After all, if they are advertising a product making these kind of huge numbers, then they should be able to tell their customers how to get there. (Am I wrong with this kind of thinking???) Their (mecoa's) response was to list the MAC site. Like an idiot, I went forward, bought the header, pipe, & tubing. Played with that for quite awhile, & finally gave up. ........ I've got several Conquests. If & when I should need something for one of them, I'll either try to fab myself, or deal with Ron Y. Mecoa seems to be too busy to talk to a customer. ............ George K.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Conquest 15

I got your PM and let me know how many engines you are sending,do you want A.B.C. set up?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Conquest 15

Hi George.

What are you looking for your Conquest 15? I do have alot of parts.

Ron.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Conquest 15

The Conquest 15 A.B.C. will fit the MK I and II Rossi and if you need any let me know.

Ron Young
Old 07-25-2009, 08:13 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll either try to fab myself, or deal with Ron Y.
George,
I agree wholeheartedly! I have received great service and quality from Ron. And he is just a good, all-around no-BS guy! Ron flys his conquests on his F1J (?) freeflight models. These are all carbon very highlevel ships - $$$. I've been hoping to get out to watch one of their competitions but the travel and commitment is a bit much.

Ron recently performed a "Phase III" version upgrade on two of my engines and I've got to spend some time with them. Unfortunatly it won't be this weekend.[]
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
RocketRob

Ran up the Phase III Ron Young Conquest tonight at the hanger and can hardly contain myself.

APC 7x4 23,500
APC 7x5 20,600
and my new favorite a Steve Wilk carbon 6x6 24,000 up to 24,400

The Thrust program reads between .750-.890hp
No muffler or pipe,
Venturi and case pressure
and some of Ron's secrets.

Seriously though the ABC piston/liner sets Ron made up may not be made again and once they're gone, they're gone.[&o]
Now I've got to find just the right airframe for this baby! Might replace the Irvine 15R in the JMGlasscraft Penetrator
Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome!

Anything below 6.5 in diameter sounds ridiculous, but that's the exact nature of what fast is. Stuff that sounds ridiculous ...
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Conquest 15

The P/L sets he has are the old centered iron piston sets that do not run very good. If you are looking for A.B.C P/L I have what you need.

Ron Young
Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
FX4L2CX
My Feedback: (10)

Hey fellas,
I need a little help with my conquest...I just put in a new piston and liner (iron is all that they had) and now my compression is better, but nNow I can't get it to idle or come up on rpm. My perry carb is a little off (circular wise) where it goes into the crancase so it may be leaking there ..I just can't seem to get fuel up to the carb..do these engine need a pump? I know the backplate has a nipple made into it and can be tapped...any suggestions

I have a header and tuned pipe on it now too...
Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 AM
RocketRob

FX4lcx,
It seems you are loosing crankcase pumping action either through your carb or perhaps backplate.
My engines seem to draw well on no pressure, muffler pressure or case pressure.
They don't need a pump.
You suspect the perry, so I would start there - if it doesn't fit, either true it up, turn it down and make an adapter or get another carb as they go fairly cheap when they come up.

As a down and dirty initial check to see if you are heading in the right direction you might try to clean it well and use some silicone sealant. If it works and you are comfortable with it you might just leave it in this condition for a while

CP, the 6x6 prop in the thrust program reads 136 mph pitch speed and 2.24lbs thrust - this ought to be plenty thrust for any sleek airframe - and north of 3/4 hp[8D]
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 PM
FX4L2CX

Thanks,
I will try that or maybe a new carb...I wish I could have gotten an abc piston/sleeve, but they were out...it took me since May 1st to get the new iron one.

I just installed an os .18 11-J carb on it and with a little shim modification... 15/32 .014 wall copper tubing.... it seems to fit perfectly with no leaks...I'll try again soon.

That did the trick! ...works perfectly now ..nice...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Conquest 15

If you are looking for A.B.C. P/L I have them and what ever you need in parts, I also have iron piston and liners.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 AM
FX4L2CX

Ok great ..thanks..when this new liner goes, I will contact you...I wanted an ABC liner. Do you have the nicer con rods too?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Conquest 15

I have whatever you need for your Conquest 15.

Ron Young
Old 08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waiting on delivery of this one for myself. It is the first time I'll see a Conquest in my hands.

Only bench run ten years ago, cleaned and oiled and put away with extra parts. We'll see.

The seller said it was purchased as an R/C version, and extras to convert it to C/L.

It's going towards a Sterling Real Sporty that's still in the box.

I want to ask about the instructions.

What is a carbu-extractor? LOL! Is that really a name? If it means just the header pipe I guess I know what it is.

There is a section that is explaining how to tune the R/C version and is refering to the seperate instruction sheet (?) from Perry concerning the pipe I think. Not sure.

Can anyone share what they have on this?

I know it takes the 1/4 wave pipe or the muffler, but thats about it.

Can the Perry run good with just the header pipe?

I want to put a bend in it to dump out the bottom of the cheek fairing. The straight back exhaust lands straight with the leading edge. I will probably have to make my own tube for that trick to come out right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58810.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1263785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35922.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1263786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10036.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1263787  
Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 PM
faif2d

Ron is the man to go to for anything Conquest. He built several for me back when I was doing faif2d combat. Last time I ran one was 6-7 years ago on an old time stunt ship. It had a rather new steel piston and liner so I ran it on 5% nitro 28% Castor stunt fuel. With a .250 dia venture and a 8-3 prop it turned 24500. It went the same speed going straight up or down.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An 8x3 turned at 24500rpm, really?
Was that a .40 engine...?