Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Conquest Piston Liners

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Conquest Piston Liners

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cox Conquest Piston Liners

I've recently been in contact with Ron Young and he mentioned he was thinking about another production run of ABC Conquest piston liner sets.
Yes "The Ron Young".[8D]

I sent him my conquests to run through - he is getting some good performance in freeflight trim.

Is there any interest in additional P/L sets - no I have no cost info, wanting to test the water and gauge interest.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cox Conquest Piston Liners

potential interest here.. $$?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
ffkiwi

I'd be a starter Rob, if the price is still reasonable-I have 3 Conquests. [Doesn't MECOA do an ABC P/L option for the Conquest though?]

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 AM
RocketRob

Thanks Dave and Chris.
I beleive Mecoa has a lot of items listed but they don't seem to be manufacturing or shipping anything[:@]

It really is a shame as they have bought a lot of manufacturing rights to vintage engines but nothing seems to be happening.

I understand Ron's piston/liners will be to his spec - not OEM - he was the factory works guy for Cox in Santa Ana and turned out some really hot conquests for QM15 among other uses.
He has mentioned his engines are spinning 29k in free flight trim- (with the correct bits - of course)
Old 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like two (2) if it doesn't break the bank. Working part time in a machine shop owned by my brother, I know the work and cost involved in a project like this. Been there done that.

Rick
Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
RocketRob

Rick,
Thanks for weighing in.
Yes the greater interest we can generate the better the run and the set up gets spread across more pieces[8D]

Any one else want to take their Conquests to the next level and loose that heavy slug of a piston?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Toad

I'll take one set
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Conquest 15

MECOA charges as much for a P/L as they do for a engine and you dont know if these A.B.C. P/L are any good or not,you would think that Randy would let someone that knows what they are doing test a set,You would think that this person who has everything needed to make what people need for this engine would do something intead all he does is sit on what he has but I gett when you have $$$$$$$ it makes no difference if you make parts or not!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Toad

I just want one of Young's, I have a Glenn Dye made one . I want to see if they are different. plus it gives me an excuse to get the .15's out again. I gave up on Mecoa a few yrs back, seems they just want to make sure no one brings back the better engines of old or maybe it is just a collection thing they have. I dunno. I can make a Conquest scream, I just want to compare, its the hobby for me. God bless the small 2 strokes!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Yuu

Someone please post a photo of the Conquest so we know what it looks like. I have three Cox .15 in the storage, but I don't think they are the "Conquest".
Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Andrew

Here is a link to Martin Hepperle's site: http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm . It has an extensive
COX history with pics of most of the models of engines.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
RocketRob

Look under "Special Engines"
Old 08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Conquest 15

Its very easy to make a Conquest better than what Randy at MEOCA is doing, seams like all he wants to do is mill the COX name off the case and take some credit for something he had NOTHING to do with!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put me down for some too. let us know when and how much. thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
East RC

ORIGINAL: Conquest 15

Its very easy to make a Conquest better than what Randy at MEOCA is doing, seams like all he wants to do is mill the COX name off the case and take some credit for something he had NOTHING to do with!
As quoted from the website linked above:

" This company, owned by Randy Linsulato, continued to manufacture the Conquest (after being produced by K&B) under its own RJL label (currently out of stock)."

Looks like he may have had something to do with it?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

Rick,
Thanks for weighing in.
Yes the greater interest we can generate the better the run and the set up gets spread across more pieces[8D]

Any one else want to take their Conquests to the next level and loose that heavy slug of a piston?
I might, if it isn't priced out of reason. I have an original, high timed version.

MJD
Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Yuu

Thanks, Andrew, and Thanks RocketRob. I found ther picture of the Conquest under 'special engines' and that is not what is in the drawer. [tears comes to eyes...]
Old 10-04-2008, 08:16 AM
RocketRob

Update!
No official word on the production run if it will be pulled off yet. Ron is still working it all out.

In the meantime I boxed up all 5 of my conquests and shipped them out to Ron Young to sort out.
Now understand these 5 were all auction site purchases [X(] 1NIB, 1 well used and 3 basketcases. Ron disassembled them, reworked the cranks and cases, fitted up new piston/liners, the good bearings, and replaced what ever parts were missing, installed new brass base gaskets and reset the head clearances.

Received them back and they look better than new. I did a comparison on the rc/muffler engine which previously turned an acp 7x5 at 18,200 - last night on the exact same prop spun up 19,100-19,200rpm

I was really impressed with the 1,000rpm increase on the exact same prop and fuel. And Idle was unchanged.

So whether or not Ron is able to pull off the ABC piston/liner production run you can PM him as member Conquest15 if you have an engine or two to be gone through. As for cost, I think it is dependant on the work performed, seeing as mine required extensive work and parts to get tuned up I was plesantly surprised how reasonable the charge was.
Count 'em baby, 5 Ron Young Conquests[8D]
Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

So whether or not Ron is able to pull off the ABC piston/liner production run you can PM him as member Conquest15 if you have an engine or two to be gone through. As for cost, I think it is dependant on the work performed, seeing as mine required extensive work and parts to get tuned up I was plesantly surprised how reasonable the charge was.
Count 'em baby, 5 Ron Young Conquests[8D]
There's a NIB Conquest on fleaBay right now.. make it 6!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:03 PM
gcb

A couple of things come to mind about the Conquest:

I think a few parts were changed when K&B took it over from Cox so some parts may not be interchangeable. I have no idea which ones. I think MECOA continued with the K&B version, plus some of their own touches.

I remember reading (years ago) about a guy who switched piston/liners between a Conquest and a then current Rossi. Both engines gained RPM...no idea why.

Mine is a stock Cox RC version.

George
Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

any chance these p/l sets would fit a Rossi .15? I have one that's pretty worn, a new piston / liner might be just the ticket.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

those are good numbers for a 15 but for a 7-8 ounce 15 not good at all. I want a set of P/L too. Not to burst your bubble but a stock FP 15 will turn very close to 19,000 with a 7x5 My old OS turns a bit more though lol maybe about 2000 more.

I plan to run a short pipe and retime it for a pipe maybe around 175-180 or so and clean up everything. looking for 24,000-25,000 on a 6.5x5 prop
Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Toad

there is a new piston/cyl set for the Rossi .15 on that bay site right now
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 PM
rainedave

I just ran across this article from a '77 MAN comparing the Rossi and the Conquest. If anyone wants it, PM me your email address.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89833.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1048372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62529.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1048373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71726.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1048374  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
RocketRob

Thanks Dave, Looks like an interesting article.

Airrapter,
No my bubble is not burst. And yes I'm aware there are stronger and lighter .15's (I have some myself).
The thread is intended for Cox Conquest owners/flyers/collectors as a discussion for replacement piston/liners and I mentioned having Ron go through mine and freshen them up as the pistons have not been sorted out just yet. And to pick up an extra 1,000 rpm on a fresh 32year old engine definatly inflates my bubble.[8D]

Good luck with your little OS's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.