Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Old Sterling kits anywhere?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Old Sterling kits anywhere?

Old 03-26-2005, 12:46 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old Sterling kits anywhere?

ORIGINAL: rikidee

In the sixties as a teenager, I built and flew a Sterling Corsair control line plane. The kit was a C-9, 36" wingspan sorta scale model. I've been looking for the plans for this model. Got any ideas?
You need the kit, not the plans, as the parts are not shown on the plans. A pretty desireable kit, as it was for carrier competition. Hard to find.
Expect to pay $100-175 for that one, when you see one.
Beware, there is another sterling 36" corsair, from the late seventies, for CL or RC, much easier to find.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:49 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: gunkel04

I just opened my new (1963) Sterling Bonanza kit. I plan on starting the build this weekend. I plan on converting to electric 3 channel, the plans show an option for a gas cox .020 tee dee engine. The plans are very thorough, every thing seems in excellent condition, the only thing I am unsure about is the silkspan tissue covering, I am concerned about the resilience.
Great kit, I have built several from that series for RC. Latest one was the Stearman. Just a great model.
Silkspan...don't do it. Like you figured, it's not resilient enough for RC, especially for a low-wing plane. The stearman is down for re-covering now. Any landing in the weeds means holes, bigtime. Any number of different alternatives, including plain old monokote.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
rikidee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

georgee......

Have you visited the Sterling Models site? It is run by Jeff Coons and is visually interesting.

http://home.mindspring.com/~jeff.coo...els/index.html

Wm.
I was indeed excited to find the Sterling site several months ago with the plans listed that I need. I have registered, requested, patiently waited, purchased a FS-36 kit on Ebay for lots of money, traced the entire kit for templates, offered to send them to him but the only reply I ever got was when I asked a question about comparing the FS-36 kit to the C-9 kit. It was a well thought out wonderfully informative note. Then......nothing! Dunno why. Have you had dealings with Jeff? I don't know what to think when I get no answer at all. You?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-26-2005, 02:06 PM
rikidee

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

In the sixties as a teenager, I built and flew a Sterling Corsair control line plane. The kit was a C-9, 36" wingspan sorta scale model. I've been looking for the plans for this model. Got any ideas?
You need the kit, not the plans, as the parts are not shown on the plans. A pretty desireable kit, as it was for carrier competition. Hard to find.
Expect to pay $100-175 for that one, when you see one.
Beware, there is another sterling 36" corsair, from the late seventies, for CL or RC, much easier to find.

I would try to buy the kit if it ever comes back up for auction. I did buy the FS-36 kit, same size but not as robustly constructed. Aparently the crutch is horizontal on the C-9 too. I figure I could build a reasonable facsimile of the C-9 kit with the FS-36 dimensions and the C-9 plan sheet. I think I am up for the challenge, anyway. Thanks a bunch for your input. I really do appreciate the help. Hey, my wife says I'm beyond help. :-)
Rick
Old 03-26-2005, 02:47 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

georgee......

Have you visited the Sterling Models site? It is run by Jeff Coons and is visually interesting.

http://home.mindspring.com/~jeff.coo...els/index.html

Wm.
I was indeed excited to find the Sterling site several months ago with the plans listed that I need. I have registered, requested, patiently waited, purchased a FS-36 kit on Ebay for lots of money, traced the entire kit for templates, offered to send them to him but the only reply I ever got was when I asked a question about comparing the FS-36 kit to the C-9 kit. It was a well thought out wonderfully informative note. Then......nothing! Dunno why. Have you had dealings with Jeff? I don't know what to think when I get no answer at all. You?
Thanks,
Rick
Maybe he just ran out of time, or your email got lost.
Hard to run a site like that, lots of time, for no money!
I would get in touch again, see if you have something he needs in exchange for what you need. A very nice fellow.
As far as turning one into the other, well, you know what you are up against. It's not REALLY the same thing.
I'd ebay the RC kit and wait for the CL one, they are pretty different animals in so many ways.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:03 PM
ninjinscreed

Thanks for all the info,It will help alot
Thanks again
Dave
Old 03-26-2005, 04:04 PM
ninjinscreed

Thanks for all the info guys, it will help alot
Thanks again
Dave
Old 03-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Dan Vincent

I haven't read all the posts on the Sterling Corsair but I know a little of the history.

Back around June of 1977. RC Modeller magazine published an article on a .10 powered Corsair that was written by a Marine.

When RCM received the article, it was a sketch of a Corsair on a piece of brown paper with some major measurements and a picture of a finished model. With that, Dick Kidd, who was then the Draftsman for RCM drew up plans and the RCM staff made a finished article because they thought the subject would be popular. Dick Kidd later became editor of RCM.

Later Sterling adapted the RCM plan into their kit.

I still want one of those kits and never picked one up. Someday...maybe.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:20 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

It was a very cool kit, but in a lot of ways, it was sterling at their worst, really bad wood and such. They came out notoriously heavy. I think, though, you could do a really nice job of it with modern radio gear.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:01 PM
rikidee

It was a very cool kit, but in a lot of ways, it was sterling at their worst, really bad wood and such. They came out notoriously heavy. I think, though, you could do a really nice job of it with modern radio gear.

Which Sterling kit are you speaking of here?
The C-9 Corsair was control line only .15 to .40 power (2 stroke of course) 36" wing
The FS-36 was R/C .09 or .10 power OR control line .15 to .40 power 36" wing
There were also the 24" models for .049 or rubber.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:57 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Talking about the FS36 more modern one.
The old CL one, weight was not an issue, of course.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:03 AM
rikidee

Talking about the FS36 more modern one.
The old CL one, weight was not an issue, of course.
Easytiger,
Glad I took your advice. Jeff has returned my most recent email with an offer to help. You must have great influence. Now I'm watching my other mailbox.
Thank You.
Rick
Old 03-28-2005, 09:11 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Yes. HUGE influence. I married into the Mob. Everybody does what I want, or I tell my wife, she tells her dad, and somebody ends up in seven different dumpsters!
So everybody be nice to me!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 AM
rikidee

Hmmm? Never thought to look in the dumpster. :-)
Looked most everywhere else, though.
And it was an offer I couldn't refuse.
My day has been made!
Rick
Old 03-28-2005, 11:22 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Godfather II was on last night. My advice? NEVER go fishing with anyone with an Italian name. Period. Just too risky.
Corsairs...the RC one is just so very different from the old CL one that it would not really be the trip down nostalgia road you are hoping for, in my humble opinion. The metal cowl, the fully sheeted construction, the beam mounts, the tailhook, all that stuff is part of the "deal" with that kit, you know?
Somebody will love to take the RC kit off your hands, though, I'm sure, and it will go halfway to everywhere towards paying for the CL kit when you find one.
The CL one does not come up on ebay that often. Maybe four a year. And people are looking for them. So be prepared! But you WILL find one, it's not so super rare that you will be searching in vain.
Maybe if you have another sterling kit someone else is looking for, you can do a trade.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:51 AM
rikidee

Yesterday I found a good start at an aluminum cowl for the Corsair. An aluminum 1Qt paint cup from professional paint sprayers has very close to the right shape and dimensions to make a cowl. Price here at ten dollars, not too bad. Gonna give it a try.
Rick
Old 04-03-2005, 02:10 PM
mike50

Here is a picture of the Sterling FS-36 Corsair I built back in about 1980. It has a Cox TD .09 with which it flies very well. I completely sheeted the wing with 1/32 balsa, covered with silkspan and painted with HobbyPoxy.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45720.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	253455  
Old 04-03-2005, 04:52 PM
rikidee

Very nice work, Mike. The Corsair is so distinctive. I once worked for a man in the Sault who flew them in the Pacific in WW2. He had some interesting stories about carrier flying. Hope mine can look as fine as yours. Thanks for showing it.
Rick
Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Dan Vincent

Mike,

Nice looking Corsair. I need one of those kits.

Do you know how much it weighs?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:35 AM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Mike you do real nice work,I wish my F6F looked that good. This was my first build,
The Hell cat.some pics of it.I painted the air frame thinking I may use clear covering in some areas to show the internal stucture.I only show the underside of one wing ,But I want to do the covering over,I didnt have the nack down on my first try.Its powered by a
.15 La. Over powered too...lol I made an all aluminum cowl side covers for it.out of a dish washer pannel,If you find an old dish washer save the front pannel its great stuff to work with,I made a body kit for my truck from it too.Your plane is awsome,mabey soon I will have your expertise.The ww1 Niuport is my 3rd build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61215.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	253914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79628.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	253915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97488.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	253916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44227.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	253917  
Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 PM
asher1
My Feedback: (1)

Red face Sterling p-40 profile .19

Help I am looking for a set of plans for sterling, or midwest of the p-40 warhawk profile model for a .19 this is a controline model
Old 05-14-2019, 05:25 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have something you might be interested in. PM me or contact [email protected]
Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that Brodak still kits the p-40