Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP Wasp and Hornet

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AP Wasp and Hornet

Does anyone know what the factory warranty is on these engines?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AP Wasp and Hornet

I don't know if this will help or not but, mabe navigate their site and they may have your answer. Here it is. http://www.globalhobby.com/public/mfr/ap01.asp
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 AM
rcuser004

Nothing is listed on the Global or Hobby People website regarding warranty period. That is why I asked on this forum.

Regards,
Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, never even occured to me that there could be return policy on these (don't think they could afford it), I see it more as a lottery...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM
rcuser004

I did find out today they have a 1-year warranty.

Regards,
Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
on pipe

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

Hmmm, never even occured to me that there could be return policy on these (don't think they could afford it), I see it more as a lottery...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
microsprint9

2 minutes, 2 oz's, 2 ****ing bad. LOL
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
kersplat

I have Two AP .09's with a gallon each on them. Use Omega with castor and they will be fine.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
rcuser004

I also have two .09 Hornets and I have two .061 Wasps, although I have only used one of the Wasp engines to date. We keep reading on these forums that some users have great success and others don't. Is it possible those who claim the engines are bad just don't like them and are not satisfied instead of the engines actually being poorly designed or built? I am very pleased with the running of both the Hornet and the Wasp, although I have run less than a quart of fuel through them so far.

I am very curious from those who have considerable running time on either engine if they have ever worn out one of these engines. I would like to know from those who have been flying these two engines how much actual flight time and/or fuel has been run through them
so we can get an idea of their long-term durability.

Any comments from long-time users of either engine?

Thanks,
Old 12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: Red Baron Mike

I also have two .09 Hornets and I have two .061 Wasps, although I have only used one of the Wasp engines to date. We keep reading on these forums that some users have great success and others don't. Is it possible those who claim the engines are bad just don't like them and are not satisfied instead of the engines actually being poorly designed or built? I am very pleased with the running of both the Hornet and the Wasp, although I have run less than a quart of fuel through them so far.

I am very curious from those who have considerable running time on either engine if they have ever worn out one of these engines. I would like to know from those who have been flying these two engines how much actual flight time and/or fuel has been run through them
so we can get an idea of their long-term durability.

Any comments from long-time users of either engine?

Thanks,
With the time I have on my AP .09's, I have found that the key is a gentle break in. These engine take more time to break in than most true ABC engines. You will find out that they will improve with running time. Some guys that have running and performance problems may have not taken the steps to break in gently. I am not talking about running real rich, I mean running @1000 RPM short of peak.
Another thing to note, One of my AP .09's have a bronze bushed rod and the other one has no bushing. This one will take more care in breaking in. I bought both at the same time , so I don't know which one is newer. I hope if I buy another one, that it has a bronze bushed rod.
Weight wise, these engines are "piggies" but they can perform to make up for it if you are patient.[8D]
Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 3 of the 0.061 and 1 of the 09's The 061's seem to take about 20 flights to break in. Mine have all run sort of rich and had a up and down run when new. You could hear the engine going rich then lean out a little. They would not hold a needle setting. Each flight the swing in settings would get smaller. Mine seem to run well on YS 20-20 fuel. They will not idle down until they are fully broken in. They run well for what you pay for them.

I would like to see a new 1/2A engine come out that had the power and ran like a big engine.

I just need to find the old flexible Cox props for these engines. They run well with that prop.

Dru.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
rcuser004

I had the same up and down "rpm" action until I put fuel tubing over the needle. This fixed it as there was an air leak. Now I have a very consistent top end.

Mike