Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tiny Tomboy build

Old 02-08-2009, 11:31 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tiny Tomboy build

I drove straight from Albuqueque NM to Little Rock once.......in a Model A coupe with a souped up 283 [8D]
If they require mufflers there....they can't do that, can they?
I would drive that far for a weekend of nothing but 1/2A combat [and beer].
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 AM
combatpigg

It is a small world........
about 4 years ago I worked at a project where the fire alarm system was being tested. I noticed some real good foam rubber laying around from the shipping cartons that the FA equipment came with. I asked one of the fire alarm dudes if I could have the foam and he said that he normally saves it for a friend of his. We got to talking about the hobby some more and he started talking about this friend of his and it dawned on me that he was talking about MICROFLIGHT [X(]!! There's a few million people in this area and I had to waste that very rare sort of luck on something like that......[:@]
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Big Al-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

It is a small world........
<snip>
There's a few million people in this area and I had to waste that very rare sort of luck on something like that......[:@]
CP, talk about a waste, this one surely tops them all.
Back 15 (probably more) years ago, my wife and two teenage sons were returning from vacation. After landing in New Orleans the boys and I wasted our time watching the same bags go by over and over at the carousel. Meanwhile my wife went over and sat on a bench. A fellow sat down beside her. I noticed they were chatting up a storm. Finally after we got our bags and were leaving I asked her who the guy she was visiting with was. She says ‘Oh he was the nicest fellow,’ and proceeded to tell us that he was in NO to visit his son, blah, blah, blah.
But who was he?
She says ‘Well he said he was a musician. I asked him if he had his own band but he said No I’m with a group.’
Did you catch his name?
‘Yes he said it was Jimmy Page.’
To this day, the boys go vivid when this comes up. True story.
al

Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

I would drive that far for a weekend of nothing but 1/2A combat [and beer].
Well, if folks were concerned about the relative lack of glow versus electric at SMALL, maybe a contingent of beer swilling, cigar smoking pot bellied 1/2A combat freaks wearing a hole in the ground for two days would help even the numbers somewhat.

MJD
Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
combatpigg

Al, if I had the chance to be someone else who's in the music business for a day, it might be Jimmy Paige. The 1st time I ever heard LZ was in a junior high art class around 1967....they made the Beattles sound like church music. We only listened to 2 records all year in that class, the other one was Jefferson Airplane.

MJD, it would have to be a cordonned off to the side, non-AMA sanctioned mosh pit for the combateers.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Have you been here lately CP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cfTMdjkYM
Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 PM
combatpigg

Proptop, my wife put "a block" on that stuff [&o]
Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 AM
g-rock

Hi,
I did this scan some time ago and it's a miniature Tom Boy. For those of you that are interested in a drawing, right click, download and save to a folder, then rename from txt to pdf. The pdf file contains both text, full size, and tiled.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Fd91978.txt (728.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
MJD

Progess! Not a lot, but some. At least I have all the templates made out of ply, and most of the bits cut out now. I'm just picking away at this between other things.

MJD

p.s. it's not very big..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65784.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1137925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82258.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1137926  
Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 PM
RocketRob

between other things.
Hmm could it be the V1 Pulse Jet?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

between other things.
Hmm could it be the V1 Pulse Jet?
It's not even big enough for a fuel tank..

I want to finish this and a little lekkie than it's PJ time. Very soon.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
combatpigg

Hey now, that looks like a real airplane.....what the heck's going on?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
MJD

Hey now, that looks like a real airplane.....what the heck's going on?
It hurts, but I can do it now and then.

"I recall a time when..." I likely could have banged off the wing and tail in one evening.

I just gotta stop my fingers from shaking, because with airplanes this size there's enough force to snap things. The keen eyed and vaguely curious may have spotted where I split both formers at the bottom before gluing in the cross braces. Time to build another Pennyplane or something akin to that to get the hands in delicate mode, if they have one.

MJD
Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Rendegade

Looking good.

Here's a littl reminder of what you're building a scale model of!

here's mine with a PAW .080, a little gem that never wants to come down.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

Looking good.

Here's a littl reminder of what you're building a scale model of!

here's mine with a PAW .080, a little gem that never wants to come down.
Lovely! My earliest memories of model stuff are of my big brother's models, including Tomboys flying on homemade radio equipment and Babe Bees or Pee Wees. He was an .010 fan, and my mentor in many things modelling and otherwise, so this model is kind of a tribute to him, combining two favorites of his in one. If I added homemade pyrotechnics to it make that three.

MJD
Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 PM
MJD

After 5 years 1 month 4 days, this poor thread sucks in a shaky breath and lifts it's feeble head from a long deep slumber...

I have been excitedly playing with a new toy the last few days, and while there are a few things to sort out yet, I managed to cut a few bits today.

And look what I chose as the test subject for the first serious attempt to cut useable parts:

1/32" ribs for the Tiny Tomboy! There is hope..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1980560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1980561  
Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
ffkiwi

As they say in the Mainland Cheese ads on NZ TV "Good things take time".........!...... I haven't seen it mentioned earlier in this thread-but Aeromodeller published a miniature Tomboy in 1954 when the Allbon Bambi first hit the market. It was called the 'Tom Thumb'. IIRC (because I can't be bothered digging out the issue of AM to confirm it!) it was 22" span. I suspect you'll find the 010 will have to be run rich or on a big prop to tame it in something this size ...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by ffkiwi View Post
...............It was called the 'Tom Thumb'. IIRC (because I can't be bothered digging out the issue of AM to confirm it!) it was 22" span.................

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Chris --
If this is it, you've got a pretty good memory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TomThumb.pdf (929.3 KB, 84 views)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM
combatpigg

Nice ribs..!
Do you have to experiment to find the best tracking speeds for all the various materials that the laser is used on..?
Could the tracking speed be automated with some sort of feedback wiring...?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 PM
ffkiwi

That's the one...! As I've posted here (not necessarily on this thread) I ended up building the very similarly sized 'Pomilio'-also by Vic Smeed-and designed around the same period (but not published till several decades later) for my VA Bambi-and it flew superbly on that power. I must try a Tom Thumb for my original Bambi one day....but they're vastly inferior in handling to the VA ones....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by combatpigg View Post
Nice ribs..!
Do you have to experiment to find the best tracking speeds for all the various materials that the laser is used on..?
Could the tracking speed be automated with some sort of feedback wiring...?
That's exactly what you have to do. On the drawing file to be cut, you can set any or all lines to the speed and power you want - this is done by "layers", each assigned a unique color. So for example I can draw a former to be cut from 1/8" medium balsa, and from the table which I have yet to generate I would look up the settings that work well on that material, and assign "blue" to those settings and make all the outlines blue. Then, the "F1" that I want marked in the middle for ID would be made a different color, say red, and I would assign "red" a faster speed and lower power for engraving the characters.

Aligning the laser tube and optics is the major subject of the efforts so far (other than learning the %[email protected]#$% software and its quirks) but the process is converging on accuracy now. I used the laser to cut alignment targets that fit into each mirror pocket.. so in a way the machine is assisting in the process of refining itself. Misalignments result in lost power and poor cutting. As with most new toys, I have curb my excitement, take a deep breath and exercise patience.. but it was fun jumping in headfirst and cutting stuff anyways, needed the inspirational boost.

Those ribs are 1/32" BTW. Will I ever cut anything by hand again? I can see my hand tool skills atrophying like my handwriting has.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
small_rcer

MJD can you start a new thread with details and specs of the laser cutter/engraver that you have access to?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM
ffkiwi

While we're talking 010 models-of this sort of size-say 22-24" span (as opposed to an 010 power pod on a glider)-what are people's thoughts on appropriate servos-I have a load of unused servos ranging from 8g down to 1.9g-and not counting the sub 2g linear types. There's no point overdoing things-but at the same time a lot of the small stuff has been driven by the micro electric market, and may not cope with the additional vibration of IC power. Off the top of my head I'd be thinking of something around the 4-5g size-such as an HS-35........I've built the odd 010 F/F model over the years-but only the original pulse rudder version of the 'Littlest Stick'. Equally-some of these newer servo types from Hobby King that are designed to operate on a single Lipo cell look interesting.......
Lets hear your thoughts and opinions................

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 03-24-2014, 04:21 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by small_rcer View Post
MJD can you start a new thread with details and specs of the laser cutter/engraver that you have access to?
I wasn't planning to, I'll just put it here. It's for personal use, a new toy for the man-cave. For interest's sake it is a GWeike LG500 60W unit, 300mm x 500mm work area (12" x 20"). Small, but good enough for the moment. I'd prefer 24x48 but that isn't in the $cards right now.

http://www.gweike.com/jp/html/396.html
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by ffkiwi View Post
While we're talking 010 models-of this sort of size-say 22-24" span (as opposed to an 010 power pod on a glider)-what are people's thoughts on appropriate servos-I have a load of unused servos ranging from 8g down to 1.9g-and not counting the sub 2g linear types. There's no point overdoing things-but at the same time a lot of the small stuff has been driven by the micro electric market, and may not cope with the additional vibration of IC power. Off the top of my head I'd be thinking of something around the 4-5g size-such as an HS-35........I've built the odd 010 F/F model over the years-but only the original pulse rudder version of the 'Littlest Stick'. Equally-some of these newer servo types from Hobby King that are designed to operate on a single Lipo cell look interesting.......
Lets hear your thoughts and opinions................

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
I understand your hesitation. I recently bought two HS-35's after looking at specs on a number of different nano servos. They have the resin filled/metal gear train like the 65's and others - much lighter of course. They seem reasonably tight mechanically - far, far better than any linear servo I have fooled with, those all seem to have some slop. At 11 oz-in I think they will be more than a match for any .010 or .020 model so long as one takes care to do a nice job on the control surfaces and linkages. I want to try them out as wing servos (top linkages though..) on a small 1/2A model sometime, but not something with barn door ailerons - it would be no different than a 22 oz-in servo in the center which I would feel good with. But as for .010 - .020 1-4 channel stuff I am confident they will work out - this season will see I guess.

Oh BTW I am not a fan of HS-55's anymore except for light electric parkies. Putty for gears.

Last edited by MJD; 03-24-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.