Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tiny Tomboy build

Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiny Tomboy build

I am actually starting the .010 Tomboy I've muttered about for a while now. The plans have been drawn for months.. .

It is a half size version of the 44" wing 1/2A model, i.e. 22" span and the fuselage scaled accordingly. This gives pretty much bang on 4" wing chord. The stab is a little tiny in cross section.. we'll see how that goes and modify on the fly if needed.

I'll get the pics posted tomorrow after the batteries charge, but I have printed out rib and former templates from AutoCAD, and am busy cutting out 1/32" cutting templates. The fuselage plans are pinned down and covered with wax paper, and I just gotta pick up some Amex tomorrow to soak the lower longerons.

Should be a quick build, might get it done by August. If I tucked in I could have it framed this weekend and still earn some brownie points in the rest periods. Right, time for bed, I'm fantasizing. [sm=greedy.gif][sm=sleeping.gif]

MJD
Old 02-07-2009, 02:49 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Tiny Tomboy build

MJD, after reading the "Who's got the most Cox engines" thread, it made me wonder why there aren't more .010 projects presented here?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:08 AM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MJD, I have a new PeeWee in kit form from Select Hobbies includeing his exhaust throttled piston/cylinder , might finnaly build the JAPP that ive had original plans for quite some time 3ch of course.
Stewart
PS your 1/2 sized Tomboy should be great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27935.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1129288  
Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great project !

It is nice to take a break from setting world speed records [8D] and seek a bit of tranquility and sanity in an old timer.

I've got a Power Mouse plan that I've been intending for the .006 Valentine Diesel. A bit higher aspect wing, Your wider chord may be a better bet at these spans.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Great project MJ! (Is it OK to call you "MJ" or am I being too familiar?),

You are combining my favorite little engine with an equally lovable old design (I think of myself as a "lovable old design" too y' know).

I'll check back in July to see how its coming along (I assume you're a quick builder like me).
Old 02-07-2009, 12:08 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

Great project MJ! (Is it OK to call you "MJ" or am I being too familiar?),

You are combining my favorite little engine with an equally lovable old design (I think of myself as a "lovable old design" too y' know).

I'll check back in July to see how its coming along (I assume you're a quick builder like me).
Sure, no prob Raymo! My wife calls me "AH" all the time, I'm used to it.. [sm=tired.gif]

This should be a fun little thing to build and fly. Constant chord wings rock when it comes to cutting ribs.

MJD\

p.s. I decided I was too tired and it was time to go to bed after pooching not one, but two F3's.. a simple rectangle with stringer notches. Straight lines were a problem at 2am.

Name:	Wu61212.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	1129467  
Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

MJD, after reading the "Who's got the most Cox engines" thread, it made me wonder why there aren't more .010 projects presented here?
- Fear of running out of glow plugs
- Fear of other damage, loss
- Lacking project ideas, dunno what to do with the little guy [another popular one I am sure]
- Greedy hoarding (shame!.. oh yeah, I do that too..)

I'm of the opinion that not every .010 aircraft has to have a 2" square firewall and look totally wacked. With the light gear we have today there's little reaon not to be out making mosquito noises with a halfways decent aircraft.

MJD
Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 PM
combatpigg

Is this a sporty little design that doesn't look like it belongs in a LOONEYTOONS cartoon?
I'd rather be holding an engine with a burned out plug and lots of great memories. I wonder what some outfit like FOX would charge to rebuild a pile of old COX plugs? I'll bet they could do it, but it would take a batch to be worth it.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what some outfit like FOX would charge to rebuild a pile of old COX plugs? I'll bet they could do it, but it would take a batch to be worth it.

Mecoa is promising this in their plug section:

COMING SOON
K&B GLOW PLUGS for
COX .010 .020 .09 and .015
Why no .049? Not that it matters now I recently sprang for a few Valentine turbo plug heads and am very happy. Glow is easier for 10 year olds and revives lots of old knowledge in dads.

ps: fly little diesels and never worry about glow heads.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Shucks (head down, kick dirt), youse can call me "Arh" (as in my first initial, like the start of the sound pirates make), My wife calls me, . . . well never mind, this is a family forum.

I have one reason why I don't build more "new" .010 projects; been there, done that.

In other words how different does a Littlest Stick and a Micro Low Stick fly? I have both. The answers is, "not much". TresFace was fun to conceive and prove to fly OK but not as your Sunday patch burner. So the Tomboy (and any other OT convert) would be different but I don't see myself making a steady stream of them.

So my short answer (alas took a while to get there didn't it?) is; when I break one beyond repair I'll replace what I already have. In the meantime I'l fly the heck out of Little Face.

Addendum;

On the other hand, maybe I "need" an .010-powered PBF! I tried one I called Mojo that flew like crap. Maybe with a pair of Cox servos and a 100 mil battery on a slab of FFF . . .
Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

In other words how different does a Littlest Stick and a Micro Low Stick fly? I have both. The answers is, "not much". TresFace was fun to conceive and prove to fly OK but not as your Sunday patch burner. So the Tomboy (and any other OT convert) would be different but I don't see myself making a steady stream of them.
They probably both fly only half as well as an .010 RC ship really can though, too. There are few .010 OT aircraft out there I've seen, and it seems a natural and unstressful way to enjoy an .010 and enjoy a level of performance from it too - the climb rate should be decent. Little fear of crunching it.

After I check out this prototype, my ultimate evil intent is to fit OT floats to it you see. Imagine RC-assist FF'ing one from a calm evening or morning lake or pond? Sounds like a good time to me.

MJD
Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Dear MJ,

I agree that Littlest Sticks and their kin enjoy a modest flight envelope - but that (to me) is part of their charm. On the other end of the spectrum; I have drawings from a British source for a more pattern-ish design for .010 power. Same thing - only different.

Having said that, however, I have a vision of a 22-inch Tomboy of floats that is very, very appealing (to me). Same thing - only different.

I guess this is what makes ballgames (and why some people insist on rooting for the Yankees [ptui] .)
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM
build light

Not trying to put a fly in the ointment but I guess I am, how about a biplane?
Or the Buttercup could be easily resized!

Robert

Name:	Ay74161.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1129893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84064.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1129894  
Old 02-07-2009, 11:15 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: build light

Robert
Hmm.. I still think the Tomboy is cuter than either of those. I'm trying to stay away from the notion that small aircraft have to look quirky. A lot of older designs were so because of the piles of oversize heavy equipment they had to carry. Mind you, as if by magic they still flew just fine.

MJD
Old 02-08-2009, 01:50 PM
tri-pacer

Here's another one by Mr Smeed you might want to consider, a Madcap, except this one is the Mini-Madcap. I've posted a pdf using the txt file trick: You change the PDF to TXT and then you can post it. I saw this used before and it works pretty well.

chuck
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Yw66566.txt (100.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: tri-pacer

Here's another one by Mr Smeed you might want to consider, a Madcap, except this one is the Mini-Madcap. I've posted a pdf using the txt file trick: You change the PDF to TXT and then you can post it. I saw this used before and it works pretty well.

chuck
Looks like a great .020 or small diesel ship. MJD
Old 02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
bps

ORIGINAL: build light

Robert
I have a Buttercup and have flown the daylights out of it. Have not flown it in about 5 years though. Mine has a Cox .020 for power and a two channel Cannon brick. This plane will loop, and do a decent Lomechevock (sp?). I flew off of pavement so takeoffs and landings were all done from the pavement. Great build project although I did change some things. Bolt on wings, less dihedrel, wheel pants and covered in yellow and orange solarfilm. The solarfilm has been on this plane since I built it at least twenty years ago. Still stuck tight and no wrinkles!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

That Buttercup is a cutie!

The designer could have called a semi-scale Glastar though, and no one would have complained!

When I think Buttercup, I think of Steve Whitman, as in Tailwind.

Arlen
Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
LittleRock

Here is an .010 project I built a couple of years ago. Designed by Scott Christensen in the 80's. It has a 40" span, all balsa with dope and tissue finish. A 2 channel set up with a Berg receiver makes it a joy to fly.

Steve Staples

Bring your small planes to Little Rock, AR June 5,6&7 for SMALL 2009.

Name:	Nl29026.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1130578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31382.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1130579  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: LittleRock

Here is an .010 project I built a couple of years ago. Designed by Scott Christensen in the 80's. It has a 40" span, all balsa with dope and tissue finish. A 2 channel set up with a Berg receiver makes it a joy to fly.

Steve Staples

Bring your small planes to Little Rock, AR June 5,6&7 for SMALL 2009.

Nice workmanship Steve! I'm still thinking hard about a trip to SMALL this year. Have a couple of relatively local folks to contact and check out interest. If this Tomboy works out and I come it definitely will be there.

MJD
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
build light

Steve, that is a beauty! What is it called? More details?

Robert
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
LittleRock

The plane is called SHABOOM. Scott Christensen (Scott passed away about 5 weeks ago) used to attend SMALL in Little Rock. He had his SHABOOM with him and after a year of asking for a set of plans he admitted there were none, only basic outlines. He sent them to me and I built mine. This is the only one so far except for Scotts. Scott designed many planes and if you look at this one you can see some wing shapes used in some of SIG's planes. The plane is not real easy to build but was worth it. Flying weight came in at 7 ozs. Come to Little Rock this year and fly with us.

Steve Staples
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
MJD

BTW, isn't the Electra a Vic Smeed design? It must be one of the less common models, I've seen one, maybe two pictures over the years in the mags. A friend of my big bro built one in the late 60's, FF'ed it with a McCoy .19 (and a TF nylon 9-6 prop and Perfect rectangular 1/2oz tank and, I think, a Perfect timer. I remember that but I forgot why I went downstairs 5 minutes ago. I still have the .19.

MJD
Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
combatpigg

MJD, if you bring your .010 plane to SMALL, there's a chance you might get to meet MICRO-FLIGHT himself [...we-self, his-self] !! [8D]!!
We think this would be a most worthy endevour.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 PM
MJD

MJD, if you bring your .010 plane to SMALL, there's a chance you might get to meet MICRO-FLIGHT himself [...we-self, his-self] !! [8D]!!
We think this would be a most worthy endevour.
Hmm, a chance to meet him first-hand eh? Almost worth the trip itself.

It ought to only be what, a 45 hour drive for you? Leave now, you might make it.

MJD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.