Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

60" Schweizer TG-2 Build is Officially Started!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

60" Schweizer TG-2 Build is Officially Started!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Big Al-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 60" Schweizer TG-2 Build is Officially Started!

ORIGINAL: Half-A-Hec

Thanks for all the input guys! I will go with the larger stab then. A lot of good reasons were presented on why I should go with the larger stab. I have always liked the look of the larger stab on the plane. For no other reason, it just looked better to me than the smaller one. After all this is a glider and stick movement should be kept to a minimum, so the larger stab should definaltely help in that respect. I know that this glider is in no way an exact scale representation of the full size and installing the larger stab doesn't bother me one bit. I guess one can call it "Fun Scale".

Thanks again,

Hec
Hi Hec
I have been following your thread and think you are spot on. It is the overall impression that overrides the absolute scale dimensions to the casual observer.

For example; I drew more complements on a non-scale .010 Mustang several years ago at SMALL than any other plane that I have ever built. I have no idea what ‘scale’ it was. The fuse width was determined by the .010 tank mount. The wing was whatever looked right for 60 sq in. etc, etc. But invasion stripes and fake exhausts made it appear to be more scale than it actually was. Or, as you said, ‘fun scale’.

Nice work!
Al
Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember that cutie, Al. There was no mistaking that it was a Mustang and it looked great - that's what counts.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Half-A-Hec

Howdy all,

I had dinner yesterday with Robert AKA Build Light. I brought my Schweizer for some show and tell. Ya should of seen the looks on peoples faces who were dinning at Pizza Hut with this glider laid out on one of the tables. Robert also brought along some little Control line models from the 50's. Pretty neat stuff. I discussed with him my concern of the open area above the wing. On the full size this area is all canopy for the flight instructor. My original plan was to cover this area with clear doculam like I did with the little 30" WS gliders. I am afraid that the doculam will not take on the rounded shape of this canopy area as there is too much open structure. At best I think it would look like flat rectangular panes instead of rounded. So I think I will lop of the spine between fuse formers 3 and 5 and lop off the top portion of former 4 above the top stringers. I can then build a balsa block plug to vacuum form a canopy for above the wing. The canopy would be glued to the top two stringers and formers 3 and 5. I don't think this would weaken the structure as I am only replacing a portion of spine with a vacuum formed canopy which should be stronger than the bass wood spine. What do you guys think?

Hec
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60874.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1182577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20830.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1182578  
Old 04-18-2009, 02:48 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is of course, Vac that canopy!

Just to let everyone know, as awsome as the pictures show this model, there is nothing like seeing it in person.
While built up from stcks and formers, this thing is far from frail. Probably the best feature of it is the parts fit. As I am sure you know even extra glue on a poor fitting joint is inadequate. The Schweizer has no such problems.

I hope more of you will be able to see it in the future.

Hec, its getting close to being time to cover this thing!

Robert
Old 04-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Bipe Flyer

The canopy would be stronger thant he spine stringer, but it might have some flex.
You could make a mock up of f3 to f5, make your plug to fit that and vaccum form your canopy. That way it would fit nicely over the f4 and the spine, but you wouldn't have to cut away any structure.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing and although Hec didn't say so, The picture in his last post shows no dorsal spar in that area where the instructor sits. As Yoda would say: Lose strength here you would but additional strength where uneeded is a weight savings, hmm?

Seriously he can lose that bit and still no natural cause could cause enough strain that it would suffer damage, save for a high speed nose in. Even then I believe only exterior damage could occur. When you handle the fuse it is as if you were handling something much more solid. It just doesn't 'give' anywhere!

I think he just wants it to appear more scale in appearance. If so, I concur.

Robert
Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Bipe Flyer

Yeah, you're right. It'd look more scale and there is no structural need for it in flight. The top of f3 could even be taken off.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Half-A-Hec

Bipe, Robert,

The more I look at this, the more I am thinking of only cuting the spine out between formers 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 with a razor saw. I would leave the tops of formers 3 and 4 as is. They would resemble the hoops in the canopy. I could make a mock up as Bipe stated and vac form a conopy that would fit right over formers 3,4 and 5 minus the spine. Funny thing is that in the original Earl Stahl plans for the 30" model he says to leave this area uncovered[X(].

Maybe something like this altered pic?

Hec
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52166.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1182936  
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just use the flat segments. Look at the picture of the original again. It's all done just with flat segments from what I can see. I'm pretty sure that other pictures of the real ones will support this for the most part. If there are any that used formed dome like rear cockpit canpies I'll bet they were some one off custom deals to accomadate extra tall owners.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 60

Hec,

It's been over a month since your last posting. How's the build going?

Hogflyer
Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Half-A-Hec

Default RE: 60

Hogflyer,

Sad to say, but I haven't touched the model in over a month. I have been really busy with work and getting ready for baby number 2. My wife is due in 4-1/2 weeks.The less mobile she becomes the more mobile Ibecome.I have been trying to schedule all my business trips in May so that I can be home for the big arrival next month. Iguess you can say that life happens.

Hec