Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What can I say except it IS half-A!!!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What can I say except it IS half-A!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What can I say except it IS half-A!!!

This one is for the nature lovers here who want to get more out of what they consume.
Called Son-of-a-Turkey, I have never seen the likes of a control line planesuch as this one. One of these days I must build one!

Check it out:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZyY...e%22#PPA175,M1

Robert

Old 05-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What can I say except it IS half-A!!!

Very cool.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While modern niceties like 4 gram reliable recievers are nice, I sure wish I lived at a time when Popular Science's lawyers hadn't gotten ahold of management. Can you guys imagine reading that rag today and seeing articles encouring the use of *POWER TOOLS* and ads selling things like guns, surplus military 1100lb bomb hoists, and everything else in modern society that will label you and Angry White Male? Hell, they had a well known celebrity hawking pipe tobacco[:'(] in a can in that issue!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Bizarre. I like the shop tips right underneath. Can't find that $.04 finishing washer you need? I know, I'll cut the end off one tab of a $0.47 spring-loaded paper clip, ruining it in the process, and use that. Brilliant! Reminds me of half the tech tips that people send in to win model mag subscriptions. About every 7 years someone gets a year's subscription for suggesting gluing old toilet paper rolls to a scrap of wood to hold things..

My favorite showed how to make "high-tech" tubes for recessed wing mounting screws by wrapping carbon tow around a form. Why use a simple paper or 1/32" balsa tube when you can do the same job and waste your time and expensive materials by using them in the wrong orientation and for a job where they are completely wasted?

MJD
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As a kid back then I always pestered my Dad to buy one of those surplus WWII Jeeps for $50....I would have settled for one of those mail order Squirrel Monkeys that you would see in those back page ads.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

As a kid back then I always pestered my Dad to buy one of those surplus WWII Jeeps for $50....I would have settled for one of those mail order Squirrel Monkeys that you would see in those back page ads.
I thought you did order one once.. Did they subdue them with dry ice I wonder?

I liked the submarine for $6.95 or whatever it was supposed to cost. The ad gave no indication it wasn't fully functional and wouldn't actually allow you to submerge and terrorize the local water.

MJD
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69352.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1201725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40166.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1201726  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The ultimate 1960s Ed Sullivan Show act would be trained squirrel monkeys flying 1/2A C/L combat against each other while puffing away on Chesterfield King cigarettes.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 AM
build light

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

While modern niceties like 4 gram reliable recievers are nice, I sure wish I lived at a time when Popular Science's lawyers hadn't gotten ahold of management. Can you guys imagine reading that rag today and seeing articles encouring the use of *POWER TOOLS* and ads selling things like guns, surplus military 1100lb bomb hoists, and everything else in modern society that will label you and Angry White Male? Hell, they had a well known celebrity hawking pipe tobacco[:'(] in a can in that issue!

Those were the days weren't they? Back then you could cast lead toys out of... lead! Does anyone have any clue how many of us suffered from lead poisening from soldering casting our own fishing weights and lures? And the chemistry sets had real chemicals in them. Young boys were encouraged to work with their hands using sharp tools! Can you imagine? What were they thinking?

CP, We lived about about a hundred yards from a creek which was usually no more than shin deep but I still wanted that sub! Mom told me it was only cardboard and could never get wet. Now I wonder how she knew! As for the monkey who didn't want one of those? Mom wouldn't even dicuss that one... Just a plain but firm no. I did get the ant farm. I think that was from grandma!

As for the Son-of-a-Turkey, I'm thinking that you would most likely need to replace the feathers from damage before they got soaked heavily from oil.
Using them for R/C would not be so great because trimming the plane might be difficult. Still...

Robert
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved the old "Mags", the stuff of dreams. Thanks very much for the fun you gave me.

Iused to plan my workshop from the pictures Isaw of owners workshops in Mags like Mechanix Illustrated.

I'm nearly too old to use it now but I have a workshop with most of what I ever dreamed of.

Still a sucker for those old Mags.

WACO Brotherhood No, 14.

old git aka - - - - John L.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
build light

Heh! More on the Submarine, Hypno-coins, no cost monkeys, and such here:
http://www.cracked.com/article_16310_p2.html

The title is appropriate "12 Comic Book Ads That Taught Us To Be Cynical"

CP said: "The ultimate 1960s Ed Sullivan Show act would be trained squirrel monkeys flying 1/2A C/L combat against each other while puffing away on Chesterfield King cigarettes."
You have a great way with words my friend!

Robert