Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr Little Extra CG

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr Little Extra CG

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Little Extra CG

Just wondering how far back the CG can be moved on this plane and still fly well. I have mine ballanced on the recommended CG and it just seems a touch nose heavy. I am using an old OS .10FSR for power. Great flying little plane but our field is grass and hand launch is the only way to go with this. I am using the kit tank (about 2oz) and get 7 1/2 minutes flying at full throttle. Fly the livin daylights out of it for 6 minutes and then climb out and wait for the motor to stop and land dead stick. I do have throttle control, but the dead stick landing is more entertaining. Have not missed the field yet.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Herr Little Extra CG

The way I found the actual balance point for mine was to climb it at a 45 deg. nose high attitude at full throttle, roll inverted, release the sticks and see what it does:

Slowly heads for the ground in a gentle arc then the balance is probably correct.
Pitches quickly to the ground then its nose heavy.
Wants to keep climbing while inverted then its tail heavy.

The recommended CG setting from a manufacturer is just that, a recommendation that has been found to be a safe general starting point for that particular design. After you have done a few test flights they you start working on getting the exact CG set what seems best for that particular aircraft.

Hogflyer
Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Herr Little Extra CG

Thanks. I have not tried that approach yet.