Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AME translation

Old 09-04-2009, 09:17 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AME translation

Had my girlfriend translate the writing on my AME .049. It is like "A3PO" she says it simply means Aero.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:43 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AME translation

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Had my girlfriend translate the writing on my AME .049. It is like ''A3PO'' she says it simply means Aero. [img][/img]
Reminds me of folks that called MDS engines "MAC" because of the Cyrillic lettering on the engine.

MJD
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: AME translation

The Russian Cyrillic letters appeared on the earlier 1 piece crankcases. These translated roughly to AMD and stood for Aviation Model Engine (авиации модельный двигатель). The letters were later replaced with the English displacements for .049 and .061. Both the AME and BigMig looked outwardly the same, so checking the ports was the only means of determining which one you have.

NORVEL (Northern Velocity) originally got into the import business to supply high performance controlline engines and the English equivalent AME was applied. When they later got into production of the BigMig, the designation AME was retained to differentiate between the high performance engine and the kinder, gentler BigMig.

The Cyrillic Д - pronounced like the "d" in "dog" (equivalent to the English letter "d") is often mistaken for a triangle or the letter A on the early engines.

andrew