Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Need help (now DNU build)

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Need help (now DNU build)

Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 AM
sir crashallot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help (now DNU build)

wolfy888 pm me ur email address and il email you the plan matey,

quick update wing is now built aswell as tail has been built covered and fixed onto the fus, all thats left is build some airlerons sand the wing and airlerons down and hey prest cover it fit engine balance and fly, oh yeah still need to make a tank, il try get some pics up later of what iv done, hardly any of wing as i got that stuck into building the wing i forgot to take photos. also had to substitue and adapt the wing, i had no 1/8th strip so i used the softest but lightest 1/4 and it still seems very very lite and yet very very strong, put it this way theres no sher webs in the wing and i can hardly twist it maybee 10mm if that
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM
wolfy888

Sircrashalot:
Since we all seem to get along here, E-mail is [email protected]. Finally found the printable anyway, it's under kao-tic legal pdf file; I just wasn't patient. Pics look good so far, and if you can't twist the wing, then shear webbing is just dead weight. Once the covering goes on it should be really stiff. I haven't noticed yet, but can you tell if there's any washout in the tips? That's the usual trick to help with stall characteristics, but with something this small, I wonder if it would make any difference. Anybody?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Andrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wolfy888

I haven't noticed yet, but can you tell if there's any washout in the tips?
There's no washout - it's a straight wing.

andrew
Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 PM
sir crashallot

glad to here you sorted it out.

well guys iv been slacking the last few days no progress and no covering. still buisness before pleasure guys its the buisness thats funding my projects . on another note my buisness is photography and i use film camares, which also means endless supply of 1/2a tanks woohoo

iv nothing planned tomorow night and im aiming to get some work done and hopefully get her finished ready for engine when that arrives
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
wolfy888

Hi. guys:
I don't know if anyone else has tried to build the KAO-TIC as presented on the ULMER-RC.com site, but I found that the original wing rib templates are wrong. As shown, the ribs do not fit the wing planform, so I had to modify the airfoil. Interesting thing is, in doing so, the airfoil changes (as I've drawn it) from the original plain, forward-thicknessed airfoil at the root, to a laminar-flow airfoil at the tip. The transition is smoothly continuous from root to tip, and although I haven't completed the airframe yet, I suspect that this will have an immense effect on the flight characteristics of this design, particularly in the transition from slow-speed mush to fully stalled. If my guess is correct, the aircraft should present a very stable, controllable settling prior to full-stall nose-down and recovery. Since this is a quite radical change from the original Bridi design, although it uses the same moments, I've taken the liberty of copyrighting my new planform, and will release a new name for this aircraft shortly. After I recieve confirmation of the copyright, I will release the new plan,and you may use it as you will, provided I get credit for the design. I've made several minor changes to the fuselage structure as well, so the copyright is completely justified. Never thought I'd become Howard Hughes, but "necessity is the mother of invention", and the plan wouldn't work as shown on the download. Hopefully, several of us will build the new design, and I"d appreciate any and all feedback from you concerning its performance. Regards to all, Wolfy888
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
sir crashallot

il bare that in mind when i come to build it, well a quick update, the engine arrived yesterday but im tied up with me being in the process of setting up 2 fishtanks and building a rabbit hut to hold 2 baby rabbits. il aim to get back on the dnu around the weekend.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

sir crashallot;

Did you paint the fuse, or was that shrink you used? Great looking start!

Make sure you use the proper fuel for that engine so it will last for you.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 AM
wolfy888

I forgot to mention that my chosen powerplant is the AP Wasp.061, which appears to be a full-on R/C engine. I have had the opportunity to see and hold one at the local hobby shop, but they want $60 for it, and Tower sells it for $40, so I will have to wait for shipping etc. The fuselage modifications are minimal; I've rounded the profile of the sides, added a balsa former behind the ply firewall, and enclosed all of the end-grain top and bottom skins by using the entire side template instead of the original plan, which is more difficult to do, but makes for a stonger structure. Once it is sanded to shape, it should be a very stout fuselage. All of the other flying surfaces are as indicated on the original plan; the moments remain the same, and it should perform as I've indicated. I do hope that these notes will help all who intend to build the new version, and I'm looking forward to your input. As for the wing, if you build it flat on the plan, because the ribs change across the span, it introduces a slight washout, helping with tip stall prevention, but also, because the tip section is laminar-flow, the root will stall long before the tip, and should remain controllable through the rest of the nose-down and recovery sequence. At least that's the theory that I'm working with. In a 1/2A situation, it's not that critical, but if someone were to up-size this model, it might prove important. I thank you all for listening, and perhaps this could be of value down the road. Wolfy888
Old 11-16-2009, 02:39 AM
sir crashallot

iv used solar film to cover the fus and tail. things have gone slow at this end, main reason is im settin gup a small buisness and iv had to put allot of time into it. im hoping to get the wing sanded and coverd this week, i will upload some photos this week at some point.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Alabama Racer

Does anyone laser cut wing ribs for the DNU. I strongly dislike having to cut
out ribs (guess most everyone does).
brad
Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Andrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Alabama Racer

Does anyone laser cut wing ribs for the DNU.
Try Steve at [link=http://www.selecthobbies.com/kitdata.htm]Select Hobbies[/link]. He carries the kits and may have a short kit available.

I usually make up a template from counter laminate (formica) for each plane I build. It's tough, can be sanded to a smooth edge and makes cutting ribs much easier. With a little care, there will be very little sanding involved when the ribs are stacked.

andrew
Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Alabama Racer

Thanks Andrew, that looks like just what I need.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
wolfy888

Hi, guys;
Sorry to have been away for so long. KAOTIC-CAT (new name) is complete and ready for maiden as soon as it STOPS SNOWING IN SC, and have also revised the 150-ish from ULMER-RC. After tapering the outer section of the wing, and adding hoerner tips, the wing actually gained 6 square inches, plus I added flaps. Yes, I know, a 5-ch 1/2 A? Weight comes in at 17.8 oz. dry, so I think that a big, fat, slow trainer with flaps is finally feasible in this size. I'm getting ready to read the threads on the Wasp .061 to find out what troubles are out there. Been away awhile. SirCrashAlot, Thanx ever so much for the download anyway; nice to have friends. I'm almost finished with the redrawing of the new plans for the KAOTIC-CAT, and will post for all of you to use very soon. It is a much-changed airframe from the original, and should perform admirably as a WOT-style aerobatic ship. Plans for the 150-ish wing revision are almost complete as well. As you can see, I can't leave anything alone.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
sir crashallot

no probs glad to be of help
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
wolfy888

Glad to see that a vacation hasn't put me out of the scene.... how are things across the pond? Ihave a friend stationed at Mendenhall that sends me USAF pics from time to time; I'll fwd them if you like. Wolfy888
Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 PM
sir crashallot

pics of aircraft are always handy to have. sdly my dnu is still sat waiting for the engine fitting nd the wing covering and airlerons making. il get round to it just tied down with swaping model room from one to the other swell as finding more room for kits thats arriving every now and again. pluss i need to make a rack for storing them all on. be glad to get back to building as i still have nothing flight worthy yet
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM
wolfy888

I know the feeling, having just moved and am in transit. Currently down to building a Guillow's #504 Spitfire just to have something to build. The dreamer in me is thinking of all the new super micro radio gear and an electric motor (ICK), but the budget won't support it yet, so it really is a pipe-dream. Next month I should have a shop in place (I'm a cabinetmaker by trade), and can get back to the real McCoy. Talk to you soon. Wolfy888