Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Good RC engine for 1/2a?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Good RC engine for 1/2a?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:31 PM
carddfann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good RC engine for 1/2a?

Hi,

Thinking about trying RC 1/2a again. Just for sport flying planes like the Ace Simple CAP, scratch built Joy Stick, Ace Pacer, etc (no serious competition stuff), what's a good RC engine these days? Anyone know about the Thunder Tiger 07, AP Wasp, or the Mecoa/Fuji/Toki whatever 05? The 05 from Mecoa looks great, but how does it run? Anybody try one? Hope its worth the price. I'm open to suggestions from folks who actually tried such engines rather than someone who just heard about it. I'm kind of leaning toward the TT 07 because I have a TT 10 and its great in a Ranger 42. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Good RC engine for 1/2a?

The TT .07 is a dog
The AP .061 will wear out before you get to the bottom of a gallon jug
Can't speak for the Toki, but I haven't seen any stampedes headed that way.
The .10 .11 .12 engines are light enough to use in most 1/2A commercial kits.
Most commercial 1/2A kits are too heavy for outstanding "forty-to-sixty-like" performance from a 1/2A engine anyway.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

I'll stick up for the TT07. No, it's not a screamer like a good AME or TeeDee on 35% nitro, but for general sport flying all those great old 1/2 designs, it's probably the best choice out there now. I'd say it's equivalent to an average Black Widow with a weight penalty, but the radios are so much lighter now it's a wash with the old days. I have one in an Whizard it it flies it just fine.
Now, if I was setting up a 1/2a pylon racer, I would not use the TT. But for an old Ace Pacer, I'd give it a try.
Dave
Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 AM
SGC

Edd Carlson may still have some plain bearing MPJet .061 R/C engines in stock , and then theres the PAW diesels and the excelent Schlosser diesels too.
Stewart
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll stick up for the TT.07 too,,its no powerhouse, but it is a timex (well, right up until it hits a pine tree)...do you actually have a simple Cap?!!...that was one of the best flying planes I've had...got the mecoa/toki .05, big expensive dissapointment, no way it could catch a cox .049..the AP .061 is a hit or miss problem, I gave one away that was a screamer, that runs great, but I do hear of the dogs that barely run,,but hey, welcome back...Rog
Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I like the TT.07 too, it handles like a .40, but not a powerhouse. PAW diesels are great too, but like the TT not super powerful, but for me that's not a concern.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This questions pops up every now and then here, try search and you'll find plenty of information.

A nice engine to me is the Enya 09, but they now only come with a .15 size muffler and that then puts them near the OS and TT 10 in terms of weights.

If you are happy with the TT10 but really want to have something smaller, 1/2a style, then I would suggest the AP wasp.
With a bit of tinkering (airbleed hole, sealed muffler and full castor fuel) mine works just fine, and it will give you a throttled engine with little weight penalty compared to a cox engine.

The TT07 wears out faster then an AP wasp if one tries to get some power out of them, and handflipping the TT is tricky at best on a cold engine while on a warm engine it is futile...

Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM
carddfann

Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks guys. I still haven't decided on an engine yet, but leaning toward the TT 07. Others have told me the Norvels (if you can find one) are very good too. I don't have the simple CAP just yet. I have the original ACE foam wings, but still need to order the plans from the RCM website to finish. RCM sent me the construction article free to help me decide whether to order the plans. Looks like a very fast build and author said the plane was loads of fun. Can't wait to get it built as soon as I finish my 1/6 scale YMF Waco in the next few weeks.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I hate to recommend an engine that wont pass the "test of time". I guess if you pay $50 for some of this stuff and get 25 flights, $2 per flight is a pretty good deal?

How many guys who endorse the TT 07 or AP061 are getting 100 flights [or more] per year out of them?

Yes, a Big Mig .049-.061 is a good choice. Safety wire the muffler to the case. These will wear out pretty fast if you don't use castor fortified fuel.

Compared with the .10 sized engines, you'll need to lower your expectations somewhat to appreciate 1/2A engines.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoy flying the easy-to-run OS .10 and .15 engines on planes suitably sized for them but tend to shy away from all the new whiz-bang smaller mills. I've read and heard of too many folks having disappointing experiences with them to keep me interested in trying them for myself. For true 1/2A-sized flying, I stick with various Cox engines. Sometimes I praise them, sometimes I cuss them, but overall I really enjoy the experience. It seems to get easier the more I fool with them.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have several tt 07 stock and highly modded. i dont think i have 100 flights on them but one i know is on its 3rd season. the tt does have a rpm limit though. On the ground limit it to 21-22,000 on low pitched props. i would have to go back and look but think i got 21,500 or so with a 5x5 apc e prop. i also have two of the wasp 061. stock it turns a 6x4 at 17,400. not very strong but i think its around 16-18 ounce of thrust. plenty if plane is light