Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Starting over

Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting over

I told BobHH at the pylon race sunday...I ordered a Tower trainer,cause I missed it, I am tired of seeing my OS .40LA sitting around, and I have flown like 6 times in the last 2 years and twice I crashed!!...So I am starting over..This tower trainer came in a different box than the last one, hope they fixed the tank problems, the last one split and ruined my fuse....but I'll get some 1/2a stuff back together and ease back into it....Rog
Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM
DeviousDave

Default RE: Starting over

We all have periods over the years where we are more out of the hobby than into it. It's nothing to stress about-hobbies are supposed to be for enjoying at your leisure and at the amount of exposure you allow yourself. Nothing wrong with going back and training, we all need it from time to time. Really when you look at it, we are all still learning!

The secret to not crashing your glow trainer 33% of the time is to get a durable foam electric to fly at home. I flew electric and competed in pylon for years before my dad gave it a try. He went kicking and screaming too, until I gave him a power system too expensive to shelve one year. After playing with it on the bench a little he went Full Retard on electrics and now has close to 20. He still flies glow and enjoys it, but the difference in his flying ability is very noticeable. He doesn't see it because he flies all the time, but I sure do when I go visit. Much better pilot than he used to be. We used to only fly on Sundays when I would go over; we'd pack up and head to the local school and get them wet and sloppy. Time came for me to work nights and a lot of that flying time was lost. Now he just grabs a freshly charged plane any day of the week and flies his little brains out at the parking lot down the street.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear Rog. Heck, I still fly trainers just for fun.
Build tip. Use gorilla glue to put the wing togeather, pm me if you want some insight.

Sorry I missed you at the race, I was down handling cut light chores at turn 1.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
flyinrog

Dave, I'm just not having any luck with the leckys,,had two packs swell up on me..charger doesnt show that its working or not, crashed the 450 heli, waited weeks on parts only to find the main shaft bent, dogs ate my goldberg chipmonk, I am dumping all electric on the bay asap....Vic, I didnt think you were there sunday or I woulda gone down to turn one, never had a wing problem with 5 minute epoxy from lowes,..yeah I missed the trainer for just floatin around but with 4 channels...and a muffler...Rog
Old 05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
vicman

I was there till 5 pm.

Try G-glue, you won't think of anything else again.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Dave, I'm just not having any luck with the leckys,,had two packs swell up on me..charger doesnt show that its working or not, crashed the 450 heli, waited weeks on parts only to find the main shaft bent, dogs ate my goldberg chipmonk, I am dumping all electric on the bay asap....Vic, I didnt think you were there sunday or I woulda gone down to turn one, never had a wing problem with 5 minute epoxy from lowes,..yeah I missed the trainer for just floatin around but with 4 channels...and a muffler...Rog

I feel your pain regarding the battery situation. A couple of things can contribute to it:

Just bad batteries from a bad company (especially if not a major name brand)
being allowed to over discharge
not being nice to them on the first charge
not balancing them
charging too hard

and

using them at their max rated current draw-these packs really aren't as good as their ratings, no matter who sells them.

Some chargers are better than others. I haven't used all of them, but I know people who design them and they tell me which ones to buy.

Buying a heli with local parts availability has always been the name of the game-it was a lot worse in the 80's and 90's when it was mail order only and parts availability was extremely poor.

Wish you were closer, we'd get you tuned up on the electrics and work on your flying...
Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
ajcoholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I guess the Corsair will not get flown this summer

AJC
Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
flyinrog

Probably not AJ, I'll send it back if you want? Or on to another?...Vic, I asked Bob, maybe it was a vague question, I understood that you flew saturday,,but didnt know you were there sunday. you know I woulda said hey...I have GG, just never used it...Had a good interview monday at a machine shop that is growing, waiting to hear,,,cross your fingers guys...Rog
Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Turn it into a fun model. Toss on a set of operating flaps and stick a camera into the belly of da beast.

Good sized flaps can offer up a whole new gamut of fun on an otherwise plain jane model. You may not want to use them right away if this is for some remedial training but later on you'll be glad you added them and it'll add a whole new element to the model.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
flyinrog

Well Bruce, thanks for the ideas, but lost my job back at xmas, so no extras for now,,dont really have the bucks to buy the plane...family has finally decided to pick a date to decide what to do...I am the only one in town and have done the bulk of the clean up work at dads..he was born in 1918,,,and never threw anything away...had some good stuff, and a whole lotta junk...trainer would make a good camera plane, but I just need to float around for a while, for now....Rog
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 AM
ajcoholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Probably not AJ, I'll send it back if you want? ...Rog
God no! Just take your time, and get comfortable with the sticks again. I feel for you - I think your best bet is something like a Lazy bee. Scratch build it for a few bucks of balsa - the radio gear is fairly inexpensive and if you need an engine I can send you a used OS LA 15 for it. Just let me know. The Bee is a great plane, can be flown like a trainer - or rates up and throttle full, its a lot of fun.

Just an idea! I have 40" standard Lazy Bee plans if you need them as well... at least I did, have to dig them out.

AJC
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
vicman

No worries Rog.
The machine trades have always served me well. Give me a call if I can help you with anything.