Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sneak preview of new throttle for Cox .049 engines

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sneak preview of new throttle for Cox .049 engines

Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sneak preview of new throttle for Cox .049 engines

Send me one, I'd love to test it as a diesel and post the results. I tested a few of these engines on diesel and amazingly, they held up spinning a Cox 8 x 4 prop. I should post that to YT some day.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been waiting for you to chime in here Andy, Good to see you back.
Xenalook: If you want your throttle fine tuned, Andy W is *the* guy- though you probably knew that.

Stefan
Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Cox International
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks Andy and Stefan,

During the development phase, we had the throttle tested by various modellers; which led to the prototype which is currently in production.

Also, a Fly RC writer has offered to run the throttle and write an article.

Andy, I would be happy to provide you with a throttle, when available, for you test on a Cox engine that has been converted to diesel. I can also provide the engine as well as the diesel conversion if you don't have one.

In case it slips my mind, would you please be so kind and remind me when the product is in stock? It will be announced here, so you should hear about it being in stock.
Thanks in advance

Bernie

Old 08-27-2010, 03:40 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Bernie,

That's great. I think, to keep the experiment more credible and pure, a complete package from you would work better. That would be posted to YT and you could link it with your advertising. The engines I have were provided by Den Saxcobourg of the UK with the intent of promoting control line flying using inexpensive, diesel engines. The concerns were, starting and robustness. Starting was amazingly easy with the spring starter and there were no problems swinging heavy lumber.

Stefan,

Many thanks for that, in huge bunches. Someone told me once that the way to get out of a funk is to force yourself to do the things that mean the most to you especially when you least feel like it. I've been doing that and it seems to be working. Fondling that exquisite, reed assembly you made really got the juices flowing, while contemplating various configurations for a true, long stroke using an .049 P/L along with a Queen Bee crank. [>:]
Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Japanman

Andy: I think the saying is, one foot in front of the other. Hang in there, and things will pick up.

I have some varients of what I sent you in my mind-stew that I think will work better, I think the reed on that one is getting a 3D wave happening that is affecting the sealing at high rpms (~30K)
Remember ages back when I told you about my success throttling cox engines with the V reed? today I ran one on an airboat with an airbleed carb I made. It was like a light switch- When my kids get fed up with the airboat, I`ll send it too you, so long as you promise to send it back.

S
Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 AM
hllywdb

Hi Andy, great to see you back in the mix!

I was playing around with a SS a couple weeks ago and dropped a post 95 TD cylinder with a throttle ring onto the stock piston setup (I figured the SPI would fight the throttle ring.) It went 21K + with a 5.5 X 2 and still idled well with the stock cox head. Interestingly it didn't care about compression, viirtually no change all the way up to a Galbreath/Nelson combo with 1 shim.

What I like about Bernie's design is the ability to use shortened and lightened pistons and not paying the penalty of the exhaust restriction. Disel may open up a whole new door, and the bigger props may give an even better idle.

Bill
Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 PM
ajcoholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: xenalook

Also, a Fly RC writer has offered to run the throttle and write an article.

And I look forward to letting quite a few people who read the magazine know where to get Cox stuff again. The thing is, we have to let people know where and how to buy this stuff. Ads are fine but I thinbk many people just browse quickly. Having an article will IMO help get the word out that Cox items are once again easy to obtain.

AJC
Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Mr Cox

I just had another look at the website and found the following text; "Requires use of glow head conversion" could you elaborate a bit on that?
Do you need a really hot plug in order for it to work (e.g. Rossy R1 or R2 ?), maybe a full kit would be advisable then.

Wouldn't a proper carb, rather than a choke, have worked using the stock head and eliminate the need for a special plug?

I know the .05RC can run on the stock head, and a QB can also run on a .09 head (although it did come with a special plug). I'm stoked to see new parts and would also like to see these news reach common journals to show that glow is now better than ever. But the key to success will be the ease of use, as a whole generation seems to have been lost to some strange electric motors or something.

If they work well I could try to write something for the swedish community as well.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Cox International

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Cox OEM glow head is too "cold". We will also be supplying the throttle in a version with the head conversion included. It's way less expensive than replacing OEMheads anyhow as plugs can be purchased for $5 as opposed to the $8 for OEMheads.

A carb would have worked as well but the cost of manufacture was almost 3x that what it costs us to make the throttle that is currently in production.

Bernie
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Mr Cox

I initially thought that there would be a hotter version of the insert or button style ones (?). But now it seems that one should use a conversion head to a regular glow plug?

I really don't care much for the conversions to regular glow plugs. Unless they are designed with a particular glow plug in mind, to get the correct thread length and compression, they don't match the power of the button head style ones.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Cox International

It is correct that the regular glow plug conversion usually reduces engine RPM by about 300-500. However, we also have such a plug that does not decrease RPM. The problem with that one is the low RPMrange.

We are also experimenting with various inserts as well as with various 1/4" versions to find the best one. Our glow plug / insert supplier has been making us all sorts of samples the past month.

Finding the right balance between low RPM and full throttle is not as easy as it sounds. However, we have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 choices and, once our tests are complete, will make a decision which one to include and / or recommend.

Don't forget that the Surestart was never designed to be throttled. We are broaching new territory and the result is a compromise. The other alternative is no throttle such as we are currently manufacturing

Bernie

Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Mr Cox

Thank you for the clarification and keep up the good work.