RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   best battery for glow plug? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/10125373-best-battery-glow-plug.html)

k_n_browning 11-09-2010 07:28 PM

best battery for glow plug?

Ok the last time I had a cox motor I had a 1.5 volt battery that came from cox..But I dont have a clue on what to use.Would the D size work?And how many?thanks Kevin

ProBroJoe 11-09-2010 07:50 PM

RE: best battery for glow plug?

Hey Kevin - the best battery I've used for starting Coxes is two Alkaline "D" cells wired in parallel - that's "+ to +" and "- to -" - then I attach the glow plug clip to that. Try to avoid battery holders, in this application they're a source of frustration with their flaky connections. I solder directly to the cells with a 100 watt soldering gun. A higher wattage gun (or iron) gets the area hot enough to solder quickly without unnecessary heat soaking of the area. Use electrical (or duct) tape to bundle the cells together and strain-relief the wires. I've used a battery like this for a whole season and have often used it to start larger engines when the ole ni-starter was exhausted.

Hope this helps!

-Joe

noveldoc 11-09-2010 07:51 PM

Voltage, as in 1.25, is the critical thing. Many glow starters use a C or sub C rechargeable. A D would work fine.

Tom

Raymond LeFlyr 11-09-2010 08:13 PM

Our local hobby shop is primarily cars and trucks oriented. I bought a li-po glow lighter there a couple of months ago and its the cat's pajamas. I myself have only used it on my little TDs but several others of my clubmates have used it too.

True 1.5 volts. Plenty of amps. doesn't go flat or die like nickel-based batteries. About $30 and comes with a charger. I forget who makes it but I'll check if anybody is interested.

fizzwater2 11-09-2010 08:54 PM

Im interested!

hllywdb 11-09-2010 08:57 PM

I'm old school and still use the big hobby batteries that look like a lantern battery, but 1 1/2 volts and have no issues at all with them.

EX Model Engines 11-09-2010 09:13 PM

I'm currently testing out a design that would be similar to the last 'battery box' Cox/Estes used, and would require 2 D-Cell batteries. Hope to have it ready soon.

Regards, Matt.

R/C Phile 11-09-2010 09:58 PM

I use a 2500 MAH Sanyo "sub C" in a $2.00 Radio Shack with soldered connections to a Du-bro Kwick clip for the standard glow plugs and a NOS Sullivan clip ( I found on ebay).

I custom bent the Sullivan clip to work with the Cox glow heads and the Galbreath / Nelson plug combos and it's far better then my old Cox clip

The Sub C is cheap and though as nails. In a pinch you can "shock" charge it at 2 or 3 C and have ready power in minutes.. When it's fully charged you're good for several day's worth of flying. I used the 2 D thing for a while but got tired of buying new ones.

Raymond LeFlyr 11-09-2010 10:12 PM

Here's a pointer to the li-po glow lighter.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN1926

fizzwater2 11-09-2010 10:12 PM

Even though I'm interested in the Lipo deal, I have to admit I still use a globee "Fireplug" with the 2V lead acid battery in it. You can still get those Cyclon 2V 5 amp hour batteries at Batteries Plus, and I recently scored two more fireplugs along with 4 packages of spare parts - the little fuse along with the red & black caps for the top. I'm good to go for a long time..

Andrew 11-09-2010 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ProBroJoe

Hey Kevin - the best battery I've used for starting Coxes is two Alkaline ''D'' cells wired in parallel - that's ''+ to +'' and ''- to -'' - then I attach the glow plug clip to that. ....<snip>......
-Joe
I use the same - works like a champ.

andrew

DeviousDave 11-10-2010 03:27 AM

My glow ignitor battery is a home made 6 cell monster pack made of 1900mah "C" cells. It hasn't seemed very healthy lately (found it dead after a period of non-use this year and it false peaked on my Astro charger) so I gave it a full charge and decided to take an old nasty plug and do a run time test. I gave up at 2-1/2 hours because I had to go to bed. [8D]

One of the nicer things about a big pack, aside from the monster capacity is that if I decide to go flying on a whim and find it's dead I can put it on the charger and absolutely hammer it with current to get some energy into the pack. Since it's a parallel wired pack the 8 amps going in end up divided by 6 which is well within normal charge rates for a 1900mah cell. By the time I have all my crap packed into the car the battery has enough juice in it to fly for the day!

Lifer 11-10-2010 08:51 AM

MPI sells a 5 amp D cell with tabs. It will last for years and keeps a glow plug lit for HOURS.

LouisB 11-10-2010 12:41 PM

Personally, I use a 12V 7 A.h SLA battery with a powerpanel. Light the glow plug and turn an electric starter (for my larger engines). Nice thing is that I swop it every second week or so with my home alarm system's battery, so it is kept charged constantly.

Mr Cox 11-10-2010 03:32 PM

Power panel and electric starters etc are such an overkill for anything around .15 and below, as I see it. One of the advantages with the small planes is to minimize the whole equipment. Two planes and all the stuff needed can then easily be carried to the field in one go. We have about 500m from the parking to the field and some people have a whole trolley with stuff for just one plane.

I haven't seen the Lipo version around here, sounds like a good idea. The glowdrivers with a single cell NiMh are a such a pain, escpecially now in the cold. I usually resort to two D cells in paralell.

vertical grimmace 11-10-2010 04:13 PM

LiPo all the way.

Mr Cox 11-10-2010 04:46 PM

What about the fire hazard, does it come with a Lipo safety bag?

tony0707 11-10-2010 05:07 PM

HI
tower hobby sells a glo igniter for 6.99 ( A GRAY COLOR ) it takes replaceable C batteries i use 2300 rechargable battery from walmart in iti have two bats with me at all timesi have never had to go to the second or run out of batteryif i have used the battery for more than 1 hours time when trying to solve a starting problem-use to run out of battery all the time before thischeep and reliablethat is hard to beat flying for 20 years very much more than most-BEST REGARDS TONY

gene6029 11-10-2010 05:27 PM

I use a 12 v battery also with a power panel. Like it has been stated here in a previous post it IS OVERKILL. The last 1/2 a event i flew at everyone flying their 1/2a stuff was borrowing my set up to start their motors after their batterys just couldnt cut it. I can start glow plugs and run starters for the entire weekend with no problems, other than getting strange looks when the battery i use is larger than the planes! ( allmost)......:DGene

gene6029 11-10-2010 05:32 PM

Here is a pic of my set up....Gene

BMatthews 11-10-2010 07:39 PM

I've got an ancient Glo Bee but it's hard to find the single cells to fit that are not shelf dead. The last one I bought (the third or fourth cell over the course of about 30 years) was poor right from the start and I only got a season from it before it was useless.

For ease and practicality and since I fly electrics as well I like the idea of a switching regulator to reduce a 2S Lipo down to 1.5 volts. The sort I'd want to make up would use an inductor in the circuit so it acts more or less like a transformer in that it'll reduce the peak current from the pack and keep the flow through the plug a trifle more steady.

Although another way to do this would be to just use a glow driver panel with a 3S Lipo pack and the 11.5'ish volts would be "good enough" for the panel to operate.

brown2x2 11-10-2010 09:29 PM

Went with this and love it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791968

vertical grimmace 11-11-2010 04:06 AM

Look here for some options. http://www.darrolcady.com/Accessorie...ies_flight.htm The platinum driver I have converted to a LiPo, 2 S and it works great. In fact several of the local racers had done the same with no issues.

av8rsodt 11-11-2010 01:01 PM

I have used the same idea the ProBroJoe mentioned above with 2 D size batteries. I hot glue them together and use the copper braid to solder the batteries in parallel. This setup holds its charge for a long time (at least a year).

In the past, I have used the Gates 2 volt batteries out of the hallway emergency lights found in buildings. A friend in our club worked for a business maintaining these batteries and would pass on to us the older used ones. They came out right in between 1.5 and 2.0 volts (depending upon age) and worked great. We would just add alligator clips to an old RX / TX charger to charge them back up. They lasted a long time as well for what we used them for in the flying season during summer.

Brian

fritzke 11-11-2010 03:28 PM

A Sullivan M058 plus a dry "D" cell glow starter works for me.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZ89&P=7
Dave