RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   cox .010 apreciation thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/10374828-cox-010-apreciation-thread.html)

nitroairplane 03-02-2011 01:29 PM

cox .010 apreciation thread

I would like to devote this thread to the best mass produced glow engine ever just so we can all see where they are ending up , so if you have pictures of cox .010 powered rc planes,control line planes or free flight planes or just good pictures of the engine its self please post them here so we can all enjoy them i will post some engine pictures later {when i take them}

happy flying

Tee Bee 03-02-2011 02:46 PM

RE: cox .010 apreciation thread

1 Attachment(s)
The yellow LaStick was my first TD .010 plane. It flew great in that configuration but I eventually upgraded it with a TD .020 last year for more zip. The black one is my El Pongito which is roughly a half scale Pong Two(designed by the late L.F. Randolph). The balsa sheeted one is a Page Boy designed by Ken Willard in the early 60s. They have all been flown extensively.

The little Eindecker was built by skaliwag.

The TD .010 is a very fascinating little engine to me.

Tee Bee 03-02-2011 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some random .010 pics. The cruddy looking old red/gold one was the 1st one I bought and resurrected for use on my LaStick. It has been the best performing .010 I've had so far including a couple of them that were new-in-package. Note the size of the piston and cylinder next to the push pin for reference.

skaliwag 03-02-2011 09:33 PM

Can someone post a pic of Mr Chin's .010 Chipmonk. The one that did an inverted fly-by at SMALL a few years back?

Raymond LeFlyr 03-03-2011 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
May I introduce you to my Tres Face. She has only flown a few times - once with the good ole Carolina 1/2A Crew at Rog's. When I get the starting sequence right and the center .010 is the last running she makes me proud. Alas, once when I got it wrong, she became a 'spinner'.

I haven't stripped her yet so I expect she'll fly again even though she's getting a little long in the tooth.

Raymond LeFlyr 03-03-2011 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The reason for the Look Out! on this Littlest Stick is that her older sister got landed on by a .60-powered heartless giant as she lay in her virginal glory after a gracious deadstick (what else?) landing in the center of the runway.

So I thought if the new sibling had a clear warning posted, the new child might avoid such an embarassing demise.

DeviousDave 03-03-2011 09:16 AM

This is my Yellow Jacket, a John Fotiu kit-he doesn't get out much hence the nondescript name. It's basically a MicroShark fuse with the tail not rounded off, and an RG-14 airfoil I had cores for laying around. It's a really good airplane, if I were to do it over the tail would be a little smaller but the plane tracks and grooves really well. Pretty fast too.

I didn't fly it much last year because I almost trashed the engine by not checking out the ball socket. By the time I knew there was a problem it had almost completely popped out and I can't find my rod reset tool the RocketRob sent me. I have spare parts to repair it and engines I could swap out but I only got a season out of this engine and want to make sure I get another socket reset tool before I trash another piston/rod. This one may be salvageable yet....

Best flight so far was with a cut down and reshaped 4.5-2. It's a really thick prop (so is the .010's) but has more opportunity to scrape more pitch. RPM and speeds are noticeably higher, probably mid 40's to 50 mph. The extra RPM and unloading might have something to do with the short life of the ball socket-which is unfortunate because the motor is making more power than with the stock prop, i.e. it's timed to run on a faster prop than it is supplied with.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...36634large.jpg

MJD 03-03-2011 10:04 AM

Here's a video I posted to YouTube, of a 24" Mini Pearl FF on an .010. A grey dull morning so I didn't bother with the DT (famous last words, I know..).

I made a small auxiliary tank from a piece of Al tubing with fuel tubing stuck in the end, gives me enough time to start it and toss it and climb out to a decent sport flight altitude. It would have climbed a bit longer and faster had I leaned it out a bit more.

Here I start it, change hands and grab the camera before launch. Not too much cursing during the start sequence.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzdkVBz0dk].010 Mini Pearl[/link]

Very easy to trim, and transitions well. Now I need to finish the Starduster.

MJD

nitroairplane 03-03-2011 10:07 AM

great planes guys thank you for posting these pics they are all amazing its good to see so many people are still flying the .010s

BobHH 03-03-2011 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Baby Skylark with 2 Tee Dee .010s. Had a few flights on here before a bad servo cause her demise. Keep the wing and hope to build another fuselage!!

Bob Harris

nitroairplane 03-03-2011 12:32 PM

i love the baby skylark did it fly well, i can imagine it is hard to get the engines started in sink and even harder to get them to stop simultaneously

LittleRock 03-03-2011 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My ShaboomScratch built 2 channel40" spanjap tissue7 ozshand starts easily

ORIGINAL: nitroairplane

i love the baby skylark did it fly well, i can imagine it is hard to get the engines started in sink and even harder to get them to stop simultaneously

50+AirYears 03-04-2011 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's see if this comes out. It's an old Jetco Yelllowjacket (I think) with a newer red plastic .010. The Mustang is the Park Zone micro for size comparison. Hmmmm...! The original plans showed a 1950 era .020 to .045 for FF. Good glide, but even on 10% nitro, stock prop on forward or backward, even running slightly rich, under power the plane rolls like a drill bit on a high speed power drill. I don't have an RC plane with that kind of roll rate.

I had an original (Black Plastic) .010 back in 1964. Had a Top Flite (Rascal 27 or Schoolboy?) with single channel escapement that I was using it on. Got 2 flights to get the trim working, then on the third flight, after about 30 seconds, I realized I'd Boo-booed. I forgot to rewind the escapement rubber. Plane went OOS (for those never flew comp FF, that means out-of-sight!) over woods.

skaliwag 03-04-2011 11:48 PM

Can you imagine how many tiny airplanes the Gremlins in the woods have to play with when we are not watching?

nitroairplane 03-05-2011 05:33 AM

lol

MJD 03-05-2011 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

Let's see if this comes out. It's an old Jetco Yelllowjacket (I think) with a newer red plastic .010.
Jetco Dragonfly I do believe. I have a kit downstairs in "the pile".

Lomcevak Duck 03-05-2011 07:56 PM

I just bought one this weekend at a swap meet. It is the black and silver one that came in the black cardboard box. She's NIB dated Feb 28 1991, I gave $35 for it.

I have no intention of running it, I just picked it up because when I first got into the hobby I always thought they were neat.

DeviousDave 03-05-2011 09:54 PM

It's wasted if you don't run it.... These are actually pretty good running motors.

I could never figure out how Cox screwed up the TD .049 so bad when the .010 and .020 TD's are just so much better in handling despite being in a much higher state of tune. The .020 is IMO the best engine Cox ever made. The .010 would be the same but with so little thermal mass restarts are harder and the starting regimen is more involved than with the larger motors. Not hard to start once you have the drill down, you just can't usually restart with the same needle setting and a shot of prime.

Tee Bee 03-06-2011 03:46 AM

$35 was a real bargain for a NIB unit. Congrats, well done. I must say, though, that they are tons more fun if you actually run and fly them.

MJD 03-06-2011 06:06 AM

If the thoughts are at all towards collectible value, I'd discard those regards the black/silver versions. I jealously kept my nice red/gold NIB example through the bidding wars that went on after they were discontinued, watched people bidding $250 or thereabouts. Now they have devalued down to $100 or less and I still have a NIB red/gold .010 I don't want to open and run and that I can't bear to auction off. I also sealed up two NIB black/silver for future needs, but I think the time has come to open the polyethylene vault and let them loose.

I find them very easy to start, despite the false starts on the FF video I posted. Like you said DD, you just need to have the drill down. Once you get a feel for handling them, they're little trouble. I grew up watching my brother fly .010 FF creations and have had a soft spot for them since my modelling says began in the '60's as a youth.

Max_Power 03-06-2011 06:34 AM

You can do eet!!! RUN IT:D. I saved a lot of engines in the box for a while thinking about big money or rarity one day. But I have loosened my grip and now realize its about more than a model engine....To me NOW its about "You only live once", And the thought of my friends and family sorting through my junk some day thinking "Poor guy, He did'nt even live long enough to run this one" :D Even if they fly off and are never found at least right now I have the health and financial ability to give 'em a gentle needling and that toss to send them on their way. I even spent a few hour opening Hot Wheels and rolling them around on my desk a while back. I DID resist making the engine and tire squealing sounds when the wife was present![8D] Of course to each his own as long as you are enjoying the hobby! Todd

MJD 03-06-2011 08:07 AM

I have a couple of .010's as runners currently, but those others need to be let out of their cages. I sure like Bob's twin Skylark.. and the picture of that model in the old black and white ads is burned in my mind from endless hours of poring through model mags in my youth.

Funny, just recently I was thinking about Hot Wheels - I recall a particular Christmas somewhere in the early '70's, when I got the twin oval racetrack setup with superchargers. IIRC the Beatnik Bandit was the best of the cars I had.

And too, I have begun to think along the lines of "use it now or wish you did later" and the piles of stuff I have hoarded.. my 50th is 4 months away, what was I waiting for again?

Tee Bee 03-06-2011 02:04 PM

Like MJD says, the starting ritual isn't that bad. You may waste a couple of minutes of your life starting it, but then you get to hear and experience one of the greatest running tiny engines ever made by man. One of life's treats if you're a gearhead. And to build a plane and fly it only makes the experience even better.

A vid of my LaStick when it still had the TD .010 on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf_ZFkhmXTw

Lomcevak Duck 03-06-2011 03:41 PM

Eh- I wasn't thinking about investment when I picked it up. I don't currently plan on running it, but rather sitting on display because I think it is really a neat engine. But you never know- at some point I might build a little free flight or two channel for it.

MJD 03-06-2011 04:34 PM

A nice wooden display stand but built for the odd ceremonial bench run (i.e. nice stained wood with a good epoxy finish you can wipe down) is one way to display it. That way it's at least a runner but nicely kept.