RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   1/2 A flying wing? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11044631-1-2-flying-wing.html)

Dave Wave 04-16-2012 01:58 PM

1/2 A flying wing?

So I want to build a simple 1/2a flying wing w/ a pusher babebee or product engine.

I want a minimalist-type design similar to the yb-49.

The zagi kits seem a bit $$$.

Anybody have any leads or ideas for something that might fit the build?

I am not set up to cut foam, so I need some sort of kit or adaptation.

Thanks!

-Dave

combatpigg 04-16-2012 02:14 PM

RE: 1/2 A flying wing?

Hi Dave.
You could build a 36x9 wing with an airfoil that is thick enough to house all your radio gear.
Put a pair of winglets on it.
Make the elevons so that they have about 1 inch of chord.
Hang the engine out on a profile mount or box type fuselage far enough so the the engine and a 2 oz tank will fit in front of the wing.
Balance the CG at about 15% of the total wing's chord.
I've flown this set up for years as 1/2A combat planes and they are fun sport flyers, too.
Fly it with a crepe paper streamer, or 2 or 3 for added visuals...like you had just won a combat match.

proctor 04-16-2012 04:11 PM

Sounds great, more details please,rough sketch even, what engine etc.
Not a pusher then? John

aspeed 04-16-2012 05:07 PM

Search for Crazy Herb's 1/2 A delta.  I saw his website for sale, but you can look for a bit and find something.  He took the pink foam and sanded it to shape with a big coarse sanding block and experimented a lot.  A Stryker might work.  The foam parts are about $20 or so. I would try the pink stuff for a more thrilling approach.

Toysareforkids 04-16-2012 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres one I threw together 18 years ago, I just sold it this past summer, and now I'm going to build another. This one had a OS 10 on it, and flew like a bat out of hell, or slow and easy. did rolls as long as you held it! It would cut it's own streamer doing loops.

Like combat say's, just build a wing, put on some fins & elevons on it, mount the motor of your choice, and go have fun!

Pat

aspeed 04-16-2012 06:44 PM

Kind of like a Sig Wonder, maybe lighter.

soarrich 04-16-2012 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I built this, it's a S-5020 airfoil balanced at 18%. Mine had a speed400 in it, but a 1/2a will work. Very easy build and vice-less flier. Two 36" cf tubes, one for the leading edge the other at about 50%. I just added 3/4"x 1/8" stock as the elverons.

Andrew 04-16-2012 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unless you're absolutely stuck to a pusher design, here's an easy build plane designed by one of the posters on this forum, Pro Bro Joe. Parts count is low and it's a quick build. Should fly great on a product engine. Search for Kombat Kid and ProBroJoe on this forum.

hogflyer 04-16-2012 07:39 PM

Patrick Ulmer (ptulmer) had plans for little delta called Blink. I know PTU hasn't been on here is ages. I don't remember what his website was that carried the Bllink, DNU and others. Hopefully somebody will have a copy of the plan they can post here.

Hogflyer

Andrew 04-17-2012 03:44 AM

I have the plans for Patrick's DNU, Blink, Little Streak and Little Delta; also for Crazy Herb's Cheap Delta. All of Patrick Ulmer's planes are built up from balsa. The Cheap Delta can be built using a sharp knife and hot glue gun - I built one, but reduced the span from 36" to 30" and used 1/2" instead of 3/4" foam.

Dave Wave 04-17-2012 11:53 AM

Does anybody have a copy of any of the crazy herb plans?

Thanks

-Dave

combatpigg 04-17-2012 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: soarrich

I built this, it's a S-5020 airfoil balanced at 18%. Mine had a speed400 in it, but a 1/2a will work. Very easy build and vice-less flier. Two 36'' cf tubes, one for the leading edge the other at about 50%. I just added 3/4''x 1/8'' stock as the elverons.
That's a sharp looking plane Rich..! The tube spars would save a lot of labor vs cutting notches.
Having said that, I wonder if a square punch made out of K&S tubing would work on 1/16" ribs...?

Andrew 04-17-2012 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheap Delta

rcguy59 04-17-2012 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a flying wing I've been scratch building for years. The upper one has a .15CVA and the lower one has a Norvel .074. The Norvel-powered one weighs 15 oz. and is a blast to fly. The .15 powered one weighs 27 oz. and is also a hot rod. These things frame-up in an evening. Balsa with spruce spars. Nothing exotic.

Dave Wave 04-18-2012 03:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Cheap Delta

Thanks!

Off to Home Depot...

-Dave

flyinrog 04-18-2012 01:36 PM

The inherent problem with pushers is you pretty much need landing/takeoff gear or a helper to pitch it for you...Rog

alcarafa 04-18-2012 05:18 PM

Combat kid flying wing is a blast , if you have the chance build one.
I've build mine with foam and electric motor, incredible performance.. believe me!

Dave Wave 04-19-2012 07:13 AM

What is the easiest way to make the ailerons and hinges for the cheap delta?

Does packing tape work well for hinges? I was planning a product engine for power and I would guess that the oil will melt the glue on the tape?

Are the ailerons cut from the same foam?

Thanks

-Dave

Remby 04-19-2012 11:05 AM

Dave Wave;

Hi .

I checked the 1/2a catalog stuff, and one was in the mags, although it was NOT a pusher. Look for MODEL AVIATION June 1984, Willit: Rc flying Wing 1/2A...

You did say you were lookin for a flying wing, and that was a pull out plan. I think it used a Black Widow .049.

Another option to look into..

Andrew 04-19-2012 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Dave Wave

Does packing tape work well for hinges? I was planning a product engine for power and I would guess that the oil will melt the glue on the tape?

3/4" foam is too thick - I used 1/2" blue foam. I also cut the span back to either 28" or 30"; I don't remember which, but it's not critical.

I made hinges on my deltas with bi-directional filament tape although Scotch Storage tape works as well or better and is likely lighter. Scotch Storage is more flexible and less like film - plus it's not as prone to splitting down the hinge line. The bi-directional tape will hold a truck, however.

Make sure the surface is clean before adding the tape; by the time it starts to lift, the delta will be gone.:D

Ailerons are the same foam as the rest of the plane. I just cut a 45 degree angle on the back of the wing and front edge of the aileron, then taped the top. This is a $2 expendable foam plane - don't get too technical.

Dave Wave 04-19-2012 01:22 PM

3/4'' foam is too thick - I used 1/2'' blue foam. I also cut the span back to either 28'' or 30''; I don't remember which, but it's not critical.

I made hinges on my deltas with bi-directional filament tape although Scotch Storage tape works as well or better and is likely lighter. Scotch Storage is more flexible and less like film - plus it's not as prone to splitting down the hinge line. The bi-directional tape will hold a truck, however.

Make sure the surface is clean before adding the tape; by the time it starts to lift, the delta will be gone.:D

Ailerons are the same foam as the rest of the plane. I just cut a 45 degree angle on the back of the wing and front edge of the aileron, then taped the top. This is a $2 expendable foam plane - don't get too technical.

Well I went to HD and ended up with the 3/4....The 1/2 seemed pretty floppy. I am going to cut it back to 30 inches and see how it goes.

My foam is green? They used to have pink, but now green. Whatever....worth a try.

I'll post a few pic when I get it done.

OBTW- Will epoxy work OK on the foam? I also have wood glue if that works any better?

Thanks!

-Dave

Andrew 04-19-2012 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

OBTW- Will epoxy work OK on the foam? I also have wood glue if that works any better?
Epoxy will work; I use mostly polyurethane (Gorilla Glue or Elmer's Probond (preferred)). You cannot use a glue that is volatile, like wood glue - you need an adhesive that is catalytic. Because the foam is impervious to moisture, white or carpenter glues that are trapped in seams will not dry. Even where a glue fillet skins over, the center portion will remain "wet" for a long time. Since poly-u sets off with moisture, it works well. If you use it, don't wet the joints down too much - that will cause a lot of foaming and push the joints apart.

Get yourself a pack of bamboo skewers in the grill section at Wally World - they're great for re-enforcing joints. Where the fin attaches, I drilled about 3 skewers in from the bottom, pulled them out, dribbled some poly-u into the hole, wet the skewers and pushed them back in.

I taped the entire delta - once taped, the 1/2" foam is plenty stiff. Here's a source: http://www.tapebrothers.com/Colored-...apes-s/218.htm

The motor rails are made from paint stir sticks (free at Walmart) ripped to 3/8" wide. I took a dremel with a router base attachment and routed grooves about 8 or so inches long then glued the rails in flush. With foam, most any glue is stronger than the foam, so you need to increase your surface area. I used a piece of 3/8" square hardwood about 2" or so long sandwiched between the motor rail and a piece of plywood on the other side. I had maple stock from C/L mounts, but you can also get hardwood stock in the hobby section at Wally World.

Where the central components are rubberbanded to the plane, I just drilled a hole thru the foam, pushed a rubber band thru, then slipped part of a bamboo skewer thru the end of the rubber band. Used the part cut off from the rudder re-enforcements. :D

Dave Wave 04-19-2012 04:23 PM

Epoxy will work; I use mostly polyurethane (Gorilla Glue or Elmer's Probond (preferred)). You cannot use a glue that is volatile, like wood glue - you need an adhesive that is catalytic. Because the foam is impervious to moisture, white or carpenter glues that are trapped in seams will not dry. Even where a glue fillet skins over, the center portion will remain ''wet'' for a long time. Since poly-u sets off with moisture, it works well. If you use it, don't wet the joints down too much - that will cause a lot of foaming and push the joints apart.

Get yourself a pack of bamboo skewers in the grill section at Wally World - they're great for re-enforcing joints. Where the fin attaches, I drilled about 3 skewers in from the bottom, pulled them out, dribbled some poly-u into the hole, wet the skewers and pushed them back in.

I taped the entire delta - once taped, the 1/2'' foam is plenty stiff. Here's a source: http://www.tapebrothers.com/Colored-...apes-s/218.htm

The motor rails are made from paint stir sticks (free at Walmart) ripped to 3/8'' wide. I took a dremel with a router base attachment and routed grooves about 8 or so inches long then glued the rails in flush. With foam, most any glue is stronger than the foam, so you need to increase your surface area. I used a piece of 3/8'' square hardwood about 2'' or so long sandwiched between the motor rail and a piece of plywood on the other side. I had maple stock from C/L mounts, but you can also get hardwood stock in the hobby section at Wally World.

Where the central components are rubberbanded to the plane, I just drilled a hole thru the foam, pushed a rubber band thru, then slipped part of a bamboo skewer thru the end of the rubber band. Used the part cut off from the rudder re-enforcements. :D

Sweet....that can't stop me now!!!!

-Dave

av8rsodt 04-19-2012 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reading this thread which reminded me of Matchlessaero's "Spider Delta" which is a great looking model.

If you search this forum for Spider Delta you should find it (dated 5/9/2002).

He also lists the specs and has several good pics.

I believe I have the plans somewhere around here...

Brian

forsakenrider 04-20-2012 06:04 AM

hey av8rsodt, if you find those plans post'em! I'd love to build that!