RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   It's a Boy! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11384768-its-boy.html)

Japanman 01-26-2013 06:02 AM

It's a Boy!

1 Attachment(s)
After a long absence of anything glow- I put this engine together from bits, though it needed a new piston and rod, and those bits and the muffler and exhaust collector (and new cylinder porting- Fora .020's are lemons, stock) are mine.
It hand started, which is always a good sign, and spun a 4.6 x2.6 at about 16k on its first run.

Stefan

vicman 01-26-2013 09:10 AM

RE: It's a Boy!

How can you tell?

fizzwater2 01-26-2013 10:04 AM

(can't resist....) It's got a rod. :)

combatpigg 01-26-2013 10:13 AM

That sounds like very usable power..!
5 ozs of thrust and almost 40 mph.
You could explore some pretty tiny design ideas with that.

MJD 01-26-2013 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

(can't resist....) It's got a rod. :)

And a bushed shaft, but no balls. Okay, time to stop.. :D

Cool little project. That's a 1/2A combat prop, spins it pretty well.

ffkiwi 01-26-2013 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Japanman

(and new cylinder porting- Fora .020's are lemons, stock)

......ain't that the truth-never met any owner who had a good word to say about them!........trouble is-the VA 020 is no better..........Bill Atwood/Leroy Cox got it right back in 57/61 with the PeeWee and TD. I wonder how much R&D they did.......obviously a lot more than Mr Fora and Mr VA.....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Japanman 01-26-2013 01:40 PM

...Didn't you see it has a little needle valve pokin' out there? :D

16k is a little bit on the weak side, to tell the truth, but it runs very sweetly, and has excellent fuel draw, so it may wake up a bit more on a smaller prop.

After running it open exhaust for the first run, I made a longer clone of a novel muffler and ran it with that. Finally, I put in some very thin walled fuel tube in the outlet, which restricted it to about 1.6mm. The rpms and needle stayed about the same, but it was very quiet.

S

Jaspur_x 01-26-2013 05:24 PM

I`m verry glad to see you are back n the prop swn of things ; do you have an y further plans for gttng mor power out of that engine? I wouold think it may b possible for a person of your skills to get more than that sort of power out of an engine if you endevor to do so,no disrespec by the wayt, I am just wondering

Japanman 01-28-2013 05:02 AM

Hey Jasper,
To tell you the truth, I am pretty pleased with about 16k with that prop. The thing is, that's a huge prop for a 20 .
My peewee 020 only does about 18k with the cox 020 prop, which looks tiny next to the combat prop.
Tonight I tried a few more props, and I think this is a keeper. I tried a pink 4.6x2.2 ( I think that's what it is...) which I has narrower blades and is a thinner, better prop than the first combat prop.
The engine seemed to pick up quite a few rpms, and seemed to get into what must be its power band.

S