RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Plane for Cox .020 TD. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11561979-plane-cox-020-td.html)

Sport_Pilot 07-05-2013 09:53 AM

Plane for Cox .020 TD.

Recently acquired a used Cox .020 TD. What is a good plane for it? I have seen the kits on BMJR and Select Hobbies. But seems most are either old timer free flights that would have to be modified for R/C or electric models that may or may not be easy to convert. Thinking of a sport model with aileron and elevator and maybe rudder as well. Though an old free flight conversion might be interesting if it will thermal well after climb. Also I do not have any radio gear that small so servo and battery recommendations would also be helpful.

I have experience with rubber band models, and 1/2A CL, and 40 up RC, but no small RC experience, other that a small electric model that fried its battery after a while.

JPMacG 07-05-2013 10:11 AM

RE: Plane for Cox .020 TD.

I'm interested in the responses you get. I have been thinking it woud be fun to try a Cox .020. Is your engine throttled?

Sport_Pilot 07-05-2013 12:11 PM

No, at least I did not think so, I got it off and auction site and have not yet received it.

flyinrog 07-05-2013 12:22 PM

If it is throttled, it would have a throttle ring which is more of an on off switch really at about a mm it will idle, at 2-3 mm it is wide open... the BMJR Dakota is a cool little bipe...Rog

Andrew 07-05-2013 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Little Roughneck - Select Hobbies

Some attached plans:

Andrew 07-05-2013 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And some more:

skaliwag 07-05-2013 01:33 PM

A 'Corky' would be an interesting project

DeviousDave 07-06-2013 02:02 PM

JM Glaskraft PeeWee Penetrator or Estrellita

DeviousDave 07-06-2013 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

If it is throttled, it would have a throttle ring which is more of an on off switch really at about a mm it will idle, at 2-3 mm it is wide open... the BMJR Dakota is a cool little bipe...Rog

And that is why the modern computer radio was invented....

Sport_Pilot 07-08-2013 08:56 AM

Where would I buy plans, kits, arfs for these? Just throwing out a name is not that helpfull. Also what servos do you recommend for these?

Sport_Pilot 07-08-2013 09:00 AM

The Corky and really all that I have seen, that is that have plans or I have seen elsewhere seem to be for beginners. The only thing I have seen other than the BMJR .020 sized old time replicas is the .020 size Ugly Stick of which Ihave seen a couple of versions. So I guess I am interested in two ends of the spectrem, but both high performance in there own way. Either high performance endurance, or high performance aerobatics.

hkbii 07-10-2013 12:59 AM

Howdy gents I pulled up the build thread on tic- tock to give you some Ideas. hkbii

Sport_Pilot 07-10-2013 05:30 AM

Where is this tic-tock?

ffkiwi 07-10-2013 12:12 PM

Seeing nothing so far offered seems to meet Sport Pilots requirements-I suggest you go trawling in the MB or MAN archives for the 80's-Bill Cannon-the 'Cannon R/C' guy had two designs published for the G-Mark 03 and 061 engines he distributed in the USA-and of course he sold the micro R/C gear to go with them. My memory is a bit vague on detail-but they may even have been the same design at two different sizes.
As I recall it was a low wing full house 4-channel aerobatic design-which should satisfy sport pilots need for performance. The G-Mark 03 Humming Bird engine was slightly larger in size and displacement that the TD 020-but of similar power (the TD would probably have a slight edge!)
Built light-and with modern gear, this should perform well.............

I'm only about a week away from departing for the FF World champs, so have no intention of trawling through dozens of back issues of MB or MAN to find the specific article and plan. My gut instinct is that it was in Model Builder not MAN-but I could be wrong. Someone here will recall the name of the design, and the appropriate issue. then its over to Sport Pilot if he likes what he sees. I don't know what the current status of the MB plans service is-Bill Northrop died a couple of years back. I'd just be inclined to scan the plan from the mag and have it enlarged by a copy shop to the correct size.

Another option would be any of the Ace R/C 1/2A pattern ships scaled down to about 30", or the 'Eyelash' ditto (which was a MAN plan)

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

ffkiwi 07-10-2013 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

I'm only about a week away from departing for the FF World champs, so have no intention of trawling through dozens of back issues of MB or MAN to find the specific article and plan. My gut instinct is that it was in Model Builder not MAN-but I could be wrong. Someone here will recall the name of the design, and the appropriate issue. then its over to Sport Pilot if he likes what he sees. I don't know what the current status of the MB plans service is-Bill Northrop died a couple of years back. I'd just be inclined to scan the plan from the mag and have it enlarged by a copy shop to the correct size.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Fortunately-a google search under 'Bill Cannon' means I don't have to-the design mentioned above whose name I could not recall is the Griffin III and Griffin VI-it was published in Dec 1982 Model Builder, in two versions-one for .03 and one for 06-28" and 36" respectively............and better still, you can find the plan in downloadable form at www.outerzone.co.uk and I happen to have that issue of MB and can scan the article if needs be

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Andrew 07-10-2013 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

I'm only about a week away from departing for the FF World champs, so have no intention of trawling through dozens of back issues of MB or MAN to find the specific article and plan.

Another option would be any of the Ace R/C 1/2A pattern ships scaled down to about 30'', or the 'Eyelash' ditto (which was a MAN plan)

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Chris

If you're competing, best of luck to you.

Sport Pilot

Scaling down will give you a lot more choices for quick or more aerobatic planes. Here are a few more plan sets. On the GLH, don't bother with wheels - just leave the bottom of the fuselage flat.

ffkiwi 07-10-2013 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Chris

If you're competing, best of luck to you.

Yes I'm on the NZ F1A team-and good luck is always welcome! [hopefully I had my full ration of bad luck last time- a serious hamstring injury in practice the day before F1A. Its very hard towing a glider when all you can do is hobble!] The prevailing feeling this time is that the venue-Moncontour is in western France-south of Brittany-will be hot and windy-not the conditions I'm entirely comfortable with....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

DeviousDave 07-10-2013 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Where would I buy plans, kits, arfs for these? Just throwing out a name is not that helpfull. Also what servos do you recommend for these?
The planes I recommended are available in kit to ARF form, and reasonably priced. Call John @ 586 773 7069 and tell him what you are looking for-his kits all fly really well and are definitely proven.. Most are older than me! JMG specializes in scale-ish looking pattern and pylon planes that have glass fuses and foam core wings. Some wings are built up, and he does sheet them if you want him to.

hkbii 07-10-2013 11:06 PM

Howdy gents. Sport flyer I only have the build drawings . tic-tock is a good flying plane. so if you stay in this size the 0.020 will work real good. keith.

Sport_Pilot 07-11-2013 04:31 AM

OK, plans are great, but really I hate to cut out parts, though not bad for a small plane. I had expected someone to suggest an electric to glow conversion. The fact that most electric kits cost way more than they should (even when they don't include the motor)is probably the reason. But I have found one that seems to fit the bill, there is a electic kit without motor from Hobby King that looks to be a long nose version of the LA stick. One could easily shorten the nose and attach a Cox .020 to it. And there is even a wood only kit to build another for after the crash!

Anyone try this?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...80mm_ARF_.html

Sorry forgot the link before.

exocet-RCU 07-11-2013 11:22 AM

That looks fun. 23 inch wingspan. A TD should fly it well. You might have to use slightly bigger servos than the ones suggested because of the IC vibration. But for $27, its pretty cool.