RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Scratching the 1/2A itch........ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/11704438-scratching-1-2a-itch.html)

Joel308cal 01-09-2023 03:41 AM

Scratching the 1/2A itch........

I've been flying R/C since the late 80's and always wanted to tinker with 1/2A stuff. Well, now that I have the time I'd like to scratch build a few planes to start. I currently have a Golden Bee, but plan on getting a TD 049 or 051 for other projects. My question is this, will the HS 82mg servos be sufficient for 1/2A planes like the 1/2A Pacer or the Sig Hummer? I'm planning on using 1 per wing panel at this time. TIA

mgnostic 01-09-2023 08:40 AM

They should be fine. Hitec describes them as suitable for sportplanes and parkfliers under 50 ounces.

combatpigg 01-09-2023 10:32 AM

It has been awhile since I looked at what is available.
HS 82 MG are new to me.
I think they are more than what you'll ever need for a 1/2A project.
Last time I went shopping for 1/2A servos I hate to say it but the Hobby King micro servos did the job just fine and this was back when I did quite a lot of flying.
I think "HK Corona" was what I ended up buying in 4 packs, They were so cheap that I didn't feel guilty about simply leaving them permanently installed in each plane that was built..[instead of .transfering high priced servos from one plane to the next]

GREG DOE 01-09-2023 04:00 PM

I'm with the Pig. The HS 82's are over kill, but I would rather have them in my model instead of some of the $5.00 servos. I've got three EF1's with HS82's. I've got some of the Corona servos that appear to be the same as the HS81's. Not sure of the number?

combatpigg 01-09-2023 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by GREG DOE (Post 12758166)
I'm with the Pig. The HS 82's are over kill, but I would rather have them in my model instead of some of the $5.00 servos. I've got three EF1's with HS82's. I've got some of the Corona servos that appear to be the same as the HS81's. Not sure of the number?

It was the HS 55s as I recall that helped me crash more models than any other.
Here's my progression / regression with 1/2A RC
Futaba Standard servos...1.5 ozs..never failed
Futaba S133...half the weight of standard servos, pretty expensive and pretty prone to failure
Hitek HS 81s ..a much needed replacement for the S133 and very reliable
Hitek HS 55s...a big breakthrough in downsizing but lots of models got destroyed with these servos at the helm
Hitek HS 65s and all other carbonite geared micro servos....the dawn of the golden age of 1/2A reliability but still pretty expensive
Hobby King [copy cat] servos.....ridiculously cheap and so far so good.

Andrew 01-11-2023 03:21 PM

Like CP, my progression is almost identical: Futaba standard (S148 and earlier), S133 (still in my Honker), HS-81, HS-65 with Karbonite gears. I had a couple of the HS-55's and knockoffs, but found the micro servos with tiny nylon gear trains would spit teeth like a drunk in a bar fight at the slightest bump.

I've been flying 12 gram metal geared servos and for slightly larger planes, have settled on Surpass Hobby (Aliexpress) S0017M all metal geared servos at 17 grams. The S0017M is one of the only true ALL metal geared servos I've found -- most still have a nylon pinion gear. At $4.60 shipped, the price is hard to beat.

I've decided to never buy another servo with nylon gears, only metal or Karbonite, at least in the smaller sizes -- the weight penalty of metal gears is minimal.

CP: Nice to see you pop up in the 1/2 A forum again. It's gotten pretty quite over here.

andrew

combatpigg 01-11-2023 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew (Post 12758410)
Like CP, my progression is almost identical: Futaba standard (S148 and earlier), S133 (still in my Honker), HS-81, HS-65 with Karbonite gears. I had a couple of the HS-55's and knockoffs, but found the micro servos with tiny nylon gear trains would spit teeth like a drunk in a bar fight at the slightest bump.

I've been flying 12 gram metal geared servos and for slightly larger planes, have settled on Surpass Hobby (Aliexpress) S0017M all metal geared servos at 17 grams. The S0017M is one of the only true ALL metal geared servos I've found -- most still have a nylon pinion gear. At $4.60 shipped, the price is hard to beat.

I've decided to never buy another servo with nylon gears, only metal or Karbonite, at least in the smaller sizes -- the weight penalty of metal gears is minimal.

CP: Nice to see you pop up in the 1/2 A forum again. It's gotten pretty quite over here.

andrew

Howdy Andrew..!
Well stop being so modest and start showing your planes off here..!!
I have noticed that the "universal" way to describe servos any more is by their weight.
I like that..because it indicates more or less that the quality between cheap Chinese servos is pretty uniform and or acceptable.
I am in the middle of building a rental property [well more like the last 10% of it] and am chomping at the bit to get back to building models.
Just got a "NIB PAW .049" from a EBAY CROOK NAMED "TRTE-19" for a decent price but he shipped this NIB engine without the neddle valve assembly.
He's most likely using a phoney return address in the hills of Missouri...so I just wanted to give any onlookers a "heads up" about this guy.
I'm not sure if he specializes in selling models engines or not...maybe he just sells anything he can steal.
At any rate it was pretty easy to find a PAW Dealer in England who sells PAW engines and parts for a decent price...but the shipping cost is pretty high.

Joel308cal 01-11-2023 07:59 PM

I was fortunate enough to buy 24 brand new HS82mg servos for $110 shipped. Since I have them I might as well use them lol. Thanks again for the insight gents.

combatpigg 01-11-2023 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Joel308cal (Post 12758436)
I was fortunate enough to buy 24 brand new HS82mg servos for $110 shipped. Since I have them I might as well use them lol. Thanks again for the insight gents.

Of course...!
Smoke 'em if you got em...!
I'll bet they never fail from normal use.
Don't be shy about posting your projects now.:)

cortacesped 01-12-2023 07:41 AM

Hi everybody !! When I started with 1/2A planes used to fly a Jr. Falcon powered with an RC Bee .049 equipped with Hitec HS81 servos, and I can say that they exceeded the requirements for such a light plane. At that time HS81 were the only available alternative to std servos here. I've never used HS55 since they become too expensive, instead me and some colleagues here used chinese 9gr, with good results but I have to recognize that these ones were prone to fail under certain circumstances, vibration, faster/ heavier planes (Mach Mini).
It's good to see some of the old folks here.
Best Regards
Claudio

Joel308cal 01-12-2023 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by cortacesped (Post 12758487)
Hi everybody !! When I started with 1/2A planes used to fly a Jr. Falcon powered with an RC Bee .049 equipped with Hitec HS81 servos, and I can say that they exceeded the requirements for such a light plane. At that time HS81 were the only available alternative to std servos here. I've never used HS55 since they become too expensive, instead me and some colleagues here used chinese 9gr, with good results but I have to recognize that these ones were prone to fail under certain circumstances, vibration, faster/ heavier planes (Mach Mini).
It's good to see some of the old folks here.
Best Regards
Claudio

Who you calling “old”? Lol