RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Got my Midwest Skyhawk (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/2884225-got-my-midwest-skyhawk.html)

subarubrat 04-17-2005 05:43 AM

Got my Midwest Skyhawk

It has not been a bad month for 1/2a RC for me. It was always the only gas part of the hobby I enjoyed. After flying just electric for the last 7 years or so with the exception of my LMH110 I decided to get to a 1/2a project (the Cox Skylane) that I have been meaning to do for about 25 years. About that same time I finally ordered the Kamdax Mig with the Norvel ducted fan and got that flying. Then just last night I got my hands on a Midwest Skyhawk for the RK049 fan. I decided to most probably go with the Kamdax norvel DF unit on this plane. I don't think I will get fancy, just build light and 3 channel control. But not a bad return for being out of the 1/2a world. I hope to have the Midwest skyhawk done sometime in the next month but it is car show time and I have to fine tune my 82 BRAT and finish my shifter kart, inside 1 month. Then there is the Cox Skylane too, a busy month.

subarubrat 05-07-2005 11:28 AM

RE: Got my Midwest Skyhawk

Getting started on it, the body is coming along and the new lighter balsa parts are cut out. I am shooting for 2.5 oz in r/c gear. I am using the Kamdax fan unit and with the increase in thrust and the decrease in weight it should come out to be a great flyer. I am using the kamdax landing gear.

[img]www.subarubrat.com/misc/a43.jpg[/img]

[img]www.subarubrat.com/misc/a42.jpg[/img]

[img]www.subarubrat.com/misc/a41.jpg[/img]

Japanman 05-08-2005 03:24 AM

I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. After finnishing my MiG I know how careful you have to be about weight.. almost insane about it[X(]!!

J.M

jetpack 05-08-2005 07:46 AM

Hey, do the instructions give any mention on that Kamdax unit where to get a replacement impeller? I have an old Berkeley Skyray project that needs a fan blade, the stock one is no where near safe for today's power, and since the Kamdax is for a .061, a slight trim and balance should make it work for my engine. Nothing is out there that I know of for a 049/051 blade.

subarubrat 05-08-2005 02:09 PM

If you go to www.stuffwelike.net and look in the kamdax parts section you will see the fan unit with engine, without engine, and impeller only. I would suggest using the whole fan unit because it solves allot of problems all at once. Are you converting this Berkely to r/c? I have been thinking about it myself but I have never seen one in person to decide if it would be practical.

jetpack 05-08-2005 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the steer on the rotor.
Yes, the Skyray I will try and convert to a mico-system. Being a delta wing with only elevon control, it can basically fly on only one servo. But with servo's being only 3 grams now, a rudder and throttle could be added, and leaving one channel open still on a four channel system.
I would have been delighted if the whole unit was set up as a pusher design, as this is what the kit is designed around, but its not. So that only leaves two engines capable of powering it if you wanted to stay with nitro. Both of them Cox engines. A good strong reed type, or a TD with a left-hand crank. Both are still available as units, but the TD it will take some hunting to find the original left-hand crank that was offered by them at one time.
The kit that I have is still untouched in the box, and plan on using it as a template kit, as not all of the parts are outlined on the drawing, unfortunately.
The high school here has a CAD program as well as a CNC laser cutter, and was told I might be able to get the whole thing copied right there, eliminating all the tasks of making my own kit from a kit, and probably all for free except for the balsa.

Andrew 05-08-2005 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpack

<snip> Being a delta wing with only elevon control, it can basically fly on only one servo. <snip>
How do you accomplish this?

jetpack 05-08-2005 06:42 PM

corrected i flubbed[sm=surprised.gif]

It takes two servos.

subarubrat 05-08-2005 08:29 PM

Are you thinking rear pusher for starting reasons? The Kamdax has a 90 deg starter that allows a very small hatch to be used, take a look at their website www.kamdax.com and see how this works.

subarubrat 05-09-2005 12:13 AM

And by the way, anyone have any experience with the kamdax unit and a Norvel .074 in place of a .061 ?

EASYTIGER 05-09-2005 12:54 AM

Have fun!
I have not tried the 07 in the kamdax, I suspect it is not ported and such to do anything like the revs needed. But, hey, you can TRY. Try just the rotor, instead of hacking up the fan unit to fit the 074 first.
Jetpack...save yourself a LOT of headache. Get a Kamdax mig, a complete fan unit with it. It's about $120. Then scale up the Skyray to fit the whole fan unit.

The Skyhawk is great...just move the fan forward as far as you can...I think you got my hints and stuff on the other thread, you should have a lighter, better one than mine. Loved that Cox Cessna, too.

subarubrat 05-12-2005 11:03 AM

The build was on hold for a few days while parts were coming in. I ordered another Kamdax mig, the fan and landing gear as parts cost about as much as buying the whole plane, so I just bought the whole kit. Now I have a full set of spare parts for the Mig and a fan unit/engine, landing gear, hardware and such for the Skyhawk. My battery pack is arriving today and hopefully the contest balsa will be in for the wing skins and the CF rod for the spar will arrive this week as well.

EASYTIGER 05-14-2005 06:00 AM

Think about thinning the airfoil on the wing to speed the plane up a bit.

Ken LaPointe 01-30-2019 09:29 AM

Looking for manual

Looking for manual
I know its a really old thread, but I'm looking for a copy of the instruction manual that came with the kit

I'd be happy with pictures of the pages,

thanks

Ken