RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   "1/2A" H.O.B. P 47 D (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/3588729-%221-2a%22-h-o-b-p-47-d.html)

jettstarblue 11-26-2005 08:21 AM

"1/2A" H.O.B. P 47 D

I picked one of these up off of e-Bay for 7 dollars. (N.I.B.)

It came with an unopened 1 oz. bottle of CA (medium) and a new exacto-knife.

Great deal as far as I'm concerned- now the questions.

1.) Why does everything I read (EXCEPT FOR THE KIT BOX/INSTRUCTIONS) give the wrong engine suggestions? Here ( Rc Universe product reviews) the product review states it can use up to a .19! No way, no how.

I've seen some list it as ".049-.15, and .049-.10.

About the biggest engine you could shoehorn in it would be a .09 Medallion or Tee Dee. (You could mount anything of course, but I'm talking realistic engine choices here.)

I have an AME .049 with throttle, a Tee Dee .049 and a Medallion .09.

Which one would you use?
2 or 4 channel?

I'm leaning towards the .09 Medallion and two channels. (light, easy, fast)
Don't know how old this kit is, it's one of the die cut ones and the parts are perfect- pop right out with nearly no sanding....oh the good old days!

flyswatter 11-26-2005 11:08 AM

RE: "1/2A" H.O.B. P 47 D

Great buy jett. What is the P47's published flying weight, span, and area?

jettstarblue 11-26-2005 12:40 PM

The span is about 36 1/2".
Area- About 266 square inches.
Don't know the flying weight, but the plans show full sized Rx and servos....I'm using a small JR Rx and a couple HS 55's.

Wing is done- took all of an hour and I was screwing around.

This is the first "kit" I've built in awhile. It's good to be back.

jettstarblue 11-26-2005 12:47 PM

Wild guess on the weight- pretty danged light!

I think I'm going to kit bash it into "something else" since there is a lot of carving/sanding. Might make one of those "planes that never were" and build a golden age racer or something. (I have tons of paint and covering, just nothing "military".)

Only time will tell I guess.

combatpigg 11-26-2005 12:48 PM

When 704 combat was the only game in town, those HOB 1/12th scale planes were gobbled up by the dozens and turned into great flying WWII fighters with cheap .15s for power. Just move the firewall back until the spinner looks right on the sideview. It is cramped, but very doable. At the time of 704 combat, this is about the only way you ever saw one of their warbird kits being flown around here. I tried it with .049 power and the take offs were all belly scrapers and very dicey until the plane got up to speed. Then all you could do was try to keep the plane from falling out of the sky by avoiding agressive manuevers. If this is the 1/12th model that we're talking about, you will be duplicating the original 2000 HP performance and have a very spirited model if you stick in a .10 or a .15 .

EASYTIGER 11-26-2005 04:21 PM

They stink with a 10, too much weight, it was NOT designed for that.
Keep it simple and light, it will fly fine on the Tee Dee 09, be quite fast on the Medallion 09. Throttle is not really needed, you will be going full bore all the time with an 049, so skip the AME with the throttle.

Many people have had a great time with these on two channels and the tee dee. That is the setup it was designed for. Keep it light. Keep it light. Keep it light.
If it is heavy, it will be a lot less fun.

jettstarblue 11-26-2005 06:13 PM

I weighed my TD, AME, Medallion and my Magnum .15 XL.... The Magnum weighs FOUR TIMES as much as the .09 Medallion.

I'm going to use my Medallion .09 instead of the Tee Dee .049. (thinking big block cox power)

I plan on using two HS 55's and a small Rx.

Also tissue over the solid wood, silkspan over the open areas.

The only "uneeded" weight will be the L.G.

dennis 11-26-2005 07:16 PM

These were designed by Fred Reese in the 70's and we flew just about every one of the planes in the series. To say that they don't fly well with a TD049/51 is absolutely NOT TRUE.
If you made them light and did the basic hop up to the TD series which included a KK nva and pressurized backplate the bored venturi and 25% nitro fuel they were really lively flyers. Bear in mind that we only had Ace Bantam servos and nothing even approching the receiver and battery size available today.
With todays equipment you could do a complete 4 channel setup with a Norvel 061 or a Norvel 074 and certainly do better then the TD. The norvels have the advantage of being light, although they use a smaller prop then the TD but an extra base gasket and head gasket will do a lot to let ypu swing different lumber. Certainly they will do much better then a TD 09, and a 15 is not even a consideration, as even as a 704 combat job they really left a lot to desire, as in the flying brick,snap if it got too slow flyer.
Spend the money for the Norvel, avoid any current new stock Cox stuff ,they're substandard, and go enjoy a plane designed by one of the best designers ever to draw a model plane.

EASYTIGER 11-26-2005 07:59 PM

Excellent stuff from Dennis.

I have flown these with the Tee Dee 09, which is super light. They SCREAM, like 90mph fast, with the Tee Dee 09. Hot!
If you HAVE a norvel 074, it's just a perfect setup. Heavier than the TD049, but more powerful, and not nearly as heavy as a 10.

I have flown these with a 10, and with a 15, and either one will ruin the airplane. It was NOT made for those engines.

And with a good teedee 049, performance was SPARKLING. Fun.

Landing gear, well, these do better as belly-floppers, but if you make the gear removeable, you have the best of both worlds, if you want to fly off of pavement.

Good call on the tissue, but think about something else on the wings, just because you will get punctures on the open bays if you belly-land it if you use just silkspan. Monokote would be better for only that reason.

I don't blame you for wanting to modify this one...out of the whole range, the P-47 was the least scale one, because the fuse was so skinny. The 190 may be the most scale one. But yeah, air racer or somethign would be great. They all share the same basic wing, and they all fly great, the guy knew what he was doing. HOB rules!

gary-meyers 11-26-2005 08:14 PM

I've built several stick models (designed for rubber power) and made them RC using tiny 4 gm servos and custom made battery packs 1/3 AAA nimh packs of 120 mah capacity and mostly td.010, .020 and .049's for power. The covering I use most is MICAFILM but LIGHTSPAN and a couple of .6oz coverings recently available works just as well. MICAFILM is extremely light but has the cross woven threads in it like rip-stop has making it extremely strong. When I will be belly landing a lot I make sure to have the MICAFILM on the underside of the plane to take the abuse.

combatpigg 11-26-2005 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a HOB MUSTANG that I pulled out of moth balls, built straight "out of the box". With a TD, 2 HS 81s, 1 HS 55, a mini 4 CH RX, and 300 mah nimh, it weighs 22 ozs. Even with an .074 [which would up the ante to 23 ozs], the vertical would be very limited. With a TD .051, we're talkin' up hill glide. I have no experience with the TD .09, but I would not use an engine that required a ball socket tool and glow plugs that are collectors' items. This plane, with an OS .15 FP was a blast to fly and has many fond memories of bringing home the crepe paper after a 5 minute round. I routinely belly landed it on asphalt [aluminum skids underneath] and it just greased in every time. The .15 engine weighs 6.5 ozs, so the RTF weight was around 27-28 ozs .

flyinrog 11-27-2005 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Here's a HOB MUSTANG that I pulled out of moth balls, built straight "out of the box". With a TD, 2 HS 81s, 1 HS 55, a mini 4 CH RX, and 300 mah nimh, it weighs 22 ozs. Even with an .074 [which would up the ante to 23 ozs], the vertical would be very limited. With a TD .051, we're talkin' up hill glide. I have no experience with the TD .09, but I would not use an engine that required a ball socket tool and glow plugs that are collectors' items. This plane, with an OS .15 FP was a blast to fly and has many fond memories of bringing home the crepe paper after a 5 minute round. I routinely belly landed it on asphalt [aluminum skids underneath] and it just greased in every time. The .15 engine weighs 6.5 ozs, so the RTF weight was around 27-28 ozs .
I had one of those but I traded it to Dukester for some servos I think,,anyway when I opened the box 10+ years ago and saw the blocks of balsa I knew this wasnt a kit I wanted to put together....that sand to fit crap didnt interest me at all.....CP tell me again ,,why did you belly in on asphalt? adding aluminum skids just doenst sound like you...adding anything doesnt sound like you....Rog

jettstarblue 11-27-2005 09:16 AM

I haven't looked into the glow heads for the .09, you say they are hard to find? I Have a Norvel .049 throttled version. A TD .049 And a Medallion .09.....
On the Medallion, I could (as I have in the past) retrofit a short glow plug.

I'm not looking for a scale model or a hot rod so to speak....just something quick and easy to build and fun to fly. = two channels and the TD or Medallion.

I have only grass here so I may forgo the L.G. and I'll cover the bottom with some plastic covering I have here.

jettstarblue 11-27-2005 09:25 AM

Update- Cox .09 glow heads are available all day long- for 9.99 each! Think I'll retrofit it for a short plug anyhow, whether I use it on this one or not.....probably sell the .09 or TD .049, which ever I don't use for this project. I've got too many engines!

I have an old Andersen Spitzy, a .020 Cox, a couple of Cox .049's of various types, the norvel .049, the .09, a Magnum .15, O.S. .25, and .40, A ST .40 (70's vintage) and a FS .52. May have missed a couple in there somewhere.....

mclintock 11-27-2005 09:36 AM

Another thing to consider when looking to use the .09 medallion is if you don't have a muffler for it, you may need one if you want to fly at a club, because some clubs set the un-muffled limit at .061 displacement. Although if you don't mention it most would see the cox and assume its an .049.. just because it's a cox..

combatpigg 11-27-2005 10:42 AM

ROG, We had a choice of the asphalt or landing in a muddy swamp. The aluminum plates are very thin, and need to be changed every dozen landings or so.

JSB, Let us know how the swap with a standard head works, it would be good to know what the rpm difference is. If the tap for a NELSON plug cab be found, that would be the best option for modifying the head. Are the rod reset tools in stock too? At $30 a pop, these engines are tempting, but so far the hidden costs of running them have kept me away.

jettstarblue 11-27-2005 03:27 PM

Couldn't find the reset tool right off, but I'll keep looking around.

I've done the drill/tap short glow plug with a couple of .049's and they started and ran (flew) fine....didn't tach one though.

combatpigg 11-27-2005 04:21 PM

I think most of us here would agree that the glow plug conversions work, but there is enough of an RPM loss to make it not worthwhile. I guess it depends on what your expectations are, whether it works or not. The only conversion that really works well [maintaining original performance] is the NELSON plug. I don't know, but LEE MFG., or DOUG GALBREATH might be willing to modify your existing head for the NELSON plug. Without having a reset tool in hand, it is impossible to get longevity and consistency from these ball socket engines. You could possibly make your own out of steel round stock with a ball end bit, and a milled slot to clear the rod, then temper it.

jettstarblue 11-28-2005 08:04 AM

Final configuration; After a bit of research (not excessively familiar with the Cox engine line) I found that I have a T.D. .051. It has a tank/engine mount (red- don't know what the run time will be-experts?).

I'm going to use that. The engine/tank weigh in at 65 grams, the .09 without a tank or any kind of mount weighs in at 87 grams.

Since I am losing that weight, I'm goin to use a third HS 55 and have E/A/Rudder, no L.G., two layers of plastic iron on film on the bottom of the fuse, silkspan on the wings and tissue over the solid surfaces.

Not gonna try and make it look like a P-47, maybe more like an AR-5

jettstarblue 11-28-2005 08:14 AM

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...D%26safe%3Doff

EASYTIGER 11-28-2005 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think most of us here would agree that the glow plug conversions work, but there is enough of an RPM loss to make it not worthwhile. I guess it depends on what your expectations are, whether it works or not. The only conversion that really works well [maintaining original performance] is the NELSON plug. I don't know, but LEE MFG., or DOUG GALBREATH might be willing to modify your existing head for the NELSON plug. Without having a reset tool in hand, it is impossible to get longevity and consistency from these ball socket engines. You could possibly make your own out of steel round stock with a ball end bit, and a milled slot to clear the rod, then temper it.
Do you actually OWN a Tee Dee 09? Have you run one?

EASYTIGER 11-28-2005 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

Final configuration; After a bit of research (not excessively familiar with the Cox engine line) I found that I have a T.D. .051. It has a tank/engine mount (red- don't know what the run time will be-experts?).

I'm going to use that. The engine/tank weigh in at 65 grams, the .09 without a tank or any kind of mount weighs in at 87 grams.

Since I am losing that weight, I'm goin to use a third HS 55 and have E/A/Rudder, no L.G., two layers of plastic iron on film on the bottom of the fuse, silkspan on the wings and tissue over the solid surfaces.

Not gonna try and make it look like a P-47, maybe more like an AR-5
The tank mount will not fit properly, nor will you have long enough run time. You need a seperate tank. Also, skip the rudder function if you only have the 051. And you don't really need a double layer of film on the fuse, what you need is a single layer on the bottom of the wing.

jettstarblue 11-28-2005 03:32 PM

I ran the engine with the current tank/mount, and it will be a short(er) run, but it wasn't bad- way better than a Cox black widow type tank.

I moved the firewall a bit and the tank/mount(ed) engine fit nicely.

Yep, gonna use film on the bottom of the wing and the fuse, though it should belly land without to much trauma to the wing.

Dukester 11-29-2005 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: flyinrog
I had one of those but I traded it to Dukester for some servos I think,,anyway when I opened the box 10+ years ago and saw the blocks of balsa I knew this wasnt a kit I wanted to put together....that sand to fit crap didnt interest me at all.....
Rog,

Seeing this reminded me. I got out that mustang kit and did a little work. Disassembled the fuse, stripped all the wing sheeting, and removed the LE and TE from each wing. With all that being done and the building board cleared once again I think I may be ready to take a swing at this thing.

Duke

flyinrog 11-29-2005 07:36 AM

Duke, seeing this reminded me of what a crappy builder I am ,,I think that was my first build after the trainer (eagle 2)..so I think I threw the easy stuff together until it got to be too much then I just put it back in the box...Rog