RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   1/2A Fantrainer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/361182-1-2a-fantrainer.html)

SeanT 11-12-2002 02:55 AM

1/2A Fantrainer

Well I think I found my winter project, MAN's 1/2A Fantrainer with a glassed fuselage and foam sheeted wings. Plans are on the way, but I thought I would post for a few suggestions. This will be my first fiberglassing project, and I am looking for a few recommendations.

1. Should I glass the entire fuselage or just the front and the canopy? Plans show a built up fuselage.

2. What about the wing? I believe it is built up on the plans, would it be a weight savings to cut a foam core and sheet with balsa or fiberglass? Is it worth the trouble?

3. Power source for the original was a Tee Dee .049. I have one NIB from many moons ago, or should I use a Norvel .061.

4. Flyquiet.com has a nice tuned pipe for the Norvels, is it worth the trouble to try to pipe a pusher airplane? Where do you route the exhaust?

Any of your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. This project should present a number of new challenges for me, glassing, foam cores and a pusher configuration. If you all would like I can post my progress as I go?

Many thanks,
Sean

skylane42 11-12-2002 06:59 AM

1/2A Fantrainer

Being a 1/2A I would build it according to plans and the construction article.. weight is a big no no.

flyinrog 11-12-2002 01:30 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

fiberglass and 1/2a? sounds like a lump on the ground waiting to happen....sounds too heavy for a 049, just my 2 cents..Rog

SeanT 11-12-2002 02:14 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

Guys, thanks for the replies.

I assumed that glass would be lighter than a built up version. All of those sailplane guys are always using glass and foam, and they seem to have the lightest airframes out there?

If that is not the case, I can always build stock, or at least close to it!

2fast4u 11-12-2002 02:54 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

This plane was designed by Paul Willinborg (sp?) who lives here in Little Rock. I have seen several of these fly over the years and they really fly well when built per plans. There are some challenges just going by the plans!! As for the glass fuse and foam wing, I don't like the idea, but if your good at it, it could work. Remember they fly really well when built as shown.

I would stay away from the Cox just for the starting issue. It is hard to get to the engine to start it, and the Cox has been the headache of every single one I have seen (no offence DICKEYBIRD). I think you would be better off to go with a Norvel .061 and use the spring starter set-up. You will also need to use a Cox type glow driver clip, or make up a custom remote unit. Or you could mount the engine at an angle to access the plug.

I would really like to see some pictures as you go forward. Good luck, it's a great flying plane.

SeanT 11-12-2002 03:56 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

1 Attachment(s)
2fast4U,

Thank you for your comments, guys please keep them coming.

What about the pipe idea? Any thoughts?

I got the idea to glass the plane from a blurb on EZone. This guy had a glassed electric Fantrainer with a fuse and canopy weighing 56 grams. I have never done any work with fiberglass, so I doubt I could make it very light.

Here is a picture of Winfried de Vries' Speed 480 Fantrainer...

2fast4u 11-12-2002 05:05 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

Do you have any info on this pipe? I would like to see one. Is there a web site with pics? My .061's when proped right will turn 28K on the ground!! How much could a pipe help? Sounds like added weight for nothing to me. ?

flyinrog 11-13-2002 12:47 AM

here ya go 2fast

<http://www.flyquiet.com/products.html#norvelquiet>

I looked it up, pretty cool lookin and maybe keep the gruel off the plane, not very expensive either, check it out man :)

2fast4u 11-13-2002 03:46 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

I still can't see a reason to run a pipe on the .049 or .061. For the Fan Trainer project, look at it, the engine is at the back and the exhaust will only be getting on a small portion of the vertical fin. Seems like a lot to do about nothing to me. MHO.

hoverfly 11-19-2002 03:08 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

Not to long ago there was a discussion on E-Zone... :eek: But you might want to look at it. The person who designed the Fan Trainer modified the original to Electric with minimal fuss and still used the Cox three bladed prop. Just like it's gas version the electric version flies just as good. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=fan+trainer

Now my question(s) is are you going to glass over a plug or over an actual built up fuselage? My option is if you use a plug to form the fuse would you actually make it lighter if done right?

sharp333 11-20-2002 10:59 AM

Fantrainer - starting engine

One question: how to start engine on the Fantrainer? The tail seems to be on the way, looks cumbersome to start it by hand. Using a starter seems impossible.

hoverfly 11-20-2002 03:04 PM

Re: Fantrainer - starting engine

Originally posted by sharp333
One question: how to start engine on the Fantrainer? The tail seems to be on the way, looks cumbersome to start it by hand. Using a starter seems impossible.
If I remember correctly, one way it was done was a modified 05 electric motor, a switch, and a long ball hex drive attached to it. Instead of using a slotted screw to hold the prop in place, a hex screw was used.

sharp333 11-20-2002 03:33 PM

Fantrainer

Got the original MAN article and it suggests as Hoverfly said. But this was for a .049 engine.
Anyone has a better idea on how to do it on larger engines, let's say a .25 size?
I remember one manufacturer (HobbyDinamics???) had a .40 size model.
How did they do for starting the engine?

SeanT 11-20-2002 04:14 PM

Got the plans from MAN yesterday

Thank you all for the posts!

Hoverfly,

Thank you for the link, I am suprised I didn't find it on my own. I have been searching for anything related to the fantrainer.

I am going to glass over a foam plug for the fuselage. I am trying to determine what I should do with the tail section. The plans are built up but I could glass over foam instead. What do you think? Wings will probably be built up, they are so small it doesn't seem worth it to try foam.

As for starting, I am planning on mounting the Norvel on a 45 deg so I can access the plug (Thanks 2FAST4U) and using a probe on the end of my 1/2 starter. I would like to explore using a recoil type starter like the car guys. First I have to start the plugs!

Sean

hoverfly 11-20-2002 07:57 PM

Re: Fantrainer

Originally posted by sharp333
Got the original MAN article and it suggests as Hoverfly said. But this was for a .049 engine.
Anyone has a better idea on how to do it on larger engines, let's say a .25 size?
I remember one manufacturer (HobbyDinamics???) had a .40 size model.
How did they do for starting the engine?

You might want to see what people with duct fans jets use. Most likely you can use their set up. The shroud on a .25 Fantraner might let you get in at a much shallower angle than the .049 with a probe. Insted of a hex driver just add the insert for a spiner cone to the end of the probe.

prole 11-21-2002 02:56 AM

Fan Trainer on ebay

Hey you guys seen this yet,

Looks real cool!

-the prole

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1790131009

Jaffray 04-25-2003 02:31 AM

1/2A Fantrainer

1 Attachment(s)
Notice the Prop Nut is made from a 6mm nut driver bit tapped in a lathe for the shaft, in this case, 1/4-28. Engine is an O.S. FX .25, aircraft is a Green Hangar Fantrainer .25.

skypupmut 04-25-2003 03:27 AM

1/2A Fantrainer

This is a great idea
a friend of mine has a 40 size and uses a pullie and a sting
on his 50 webra he says it was the recomended thing on the plan
good flyer good hot engine would sure perk it up

2fast4u 04-25-2003 11:39 AM

1/2A Fantrainer

FYI.....The original designer, Paul, Built another Fantrainer with an electric motor set up this time. It went from lots of fun in the lower 20oz range, to unreal vertical and flat line speed at around 34oz!!! This thing screams now. Just thought you should know.

bdphil 04-25-2003 12:52 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished the 1/2A Fantrainer from the Paul Willenborg plans. I'm using the Norvel .049RC engine and 4 hitec HS 81 servos. I built it according to the plans except I made a foam plug for the canopy and glassed it (weighs less than 1oz.). The big problem now is that it weighs 27oz. and I'm not very confident that it'll even fly!

Ben

Jaffray 04-25-2003 09:23 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

Oh, it'll fly!!! It will fly just fine. Just make sure it's balanced where he says it's supposed to be, and that everything is straight and true, (and securely attached) and fire it up and throw it! Better yet, get your buddy to throw it. You'll be surprised at how well it flies. Throw it smoothly, though, so you don't flood the engine with the surge of fuel. And if the canopy falls off, watch the airplane, not the canopy!! (voice of experience...)
Good luck!

bdphil 04-25-2003 10:36 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

Jaffray,

I read in another thread about your .25 size fantrainer, but couldn't find much info. I spent a little time thinking about scaling the 1/2a one up for a .25, but couldn't come up with a suitable design so I just built the little one. Do you have plans available for the .25 one? Also, what prop are you running on it? I couldn't find a suitable 3-blade pusher for the .25 (one of the major hurdles I thought). And of course, how does the larger one fly?

BTW, I'm pretty confident that nothing will fall off mine, and it's balanced right on the recommended location. Now if I could just get the weather to clear up.

Thanks,

Ben

2fast4u 04-27-2003 08:53 PM

1/2A Fantrainer

Hay bdphil, it look great!! Like I said the elec one is around 34oz and it screams!!! Just get a good launch and it will suprise you!!! You'll love it. :D :D :D

bdphil 04-28-2003 12:25 AM

1/2A Fantrainer

Well, I was very disappointed with my 1/2a fantrainer. I couldn't get the darn thing to fly at all. The engine seemed to make a fair amount of thrust, but after several hand-launch attempts it hit the ground pretty hard and broke. I don't know where I went wrong. Maybe I'll build another some day (it only took about a week start to finish). Anyone need a Norvel .049RC engine with about 10 seconds of flight time on it :D .

Ben

rupert14 04-29-2003 09:07 PM

fantrainer

Here is a link to EAM that has the short kit for the fantrainer. I was really considering building one but if any of you have a built one ( damaged or not ) and want to get rid of it, let me know.
Bob

http://www.eam.net/gallery.htm