RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   TurboCAD help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/3762525-turbocad-help.html)

Tim Wiltse-RCU 01-11-2006 07:12 PM

TurboCAD help

Stupid question all, I have some stuff that some of you might like. How do I convert the files from TurboCAD to something I can post here that still looks good?

LAter,
Tim

tpstorey 01-11-2006 08:07 PM

RE: TurboCAD help

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Stupid question all, I have some stuff that some of you might like. How do I convert the files from TurboCAD to something I can post here that still looks good?

LAter,
Tim
Not sure what you mean, Tim. You want to post here as a picture or as a file that can be used in other cad programs?

flybug 01-11-2006 08:15 PM

Just change the extension to txt (as for text file) and then we can save as a dxf file to be opened with CAD. That's one way of doing it

DICKEYBIRD 01-11-2006 08:15 PM

Good question Tim. I think later versions will save as a .jpg. My older version doesn't. I just hit "Print Screen" then paste it into a paint program to crop out all the menus & such and then save as a .jpg.

I think Bipe's Tileprint program may help also. I bet he'll be along shortly to straighten us out!:)

Ragwing 01-11-2006 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While it isn't ideal, If you just want an image to post the following works for me, it produces better images than printscreens from Turbocad which tend to be jagged as the line thicknesses are minimal.

Get PDF 995 and create a pdf of your drawing. Unfortunatley, RCUniverse doesn't allow PDF attachments, so open the PDF in Adobe Photoshop and convert it to a JPG. If you don't have photoshop, just do a print screen from Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Derek

PS the attached image was created using this method, and the model is my contest entry for this year.

DICKEYBIRD 01-11-2006 08:59 PM

Looks great Derek! I have PDF995 and Photoshop but never thought about your method. Thanks for the info!

We must be on a psychic network or something. Last year it was the .020 motor gliders and this year one of the planes at the top of my list was a Bonanza. Is that a Pee Wee up front? I can't wait to see it farther along....it looks great!

BMatthews 01-11-2006 09:08 PM

Just save it as a DWG or DXF file. TurboCAD actually save natively by default in a compressed format so doing a file extension trick by renaming it won't work.

Or if you have a later version of TC then save as a JPG, open the file in a image editor and resize to 150 ppi and about 8 x whatever. RCU will reduce the image size anyway so it's not really useable in any event. Just post teaser images here and the real DXF or DWG files at 1/2A All The Way for us to download.

ptulmer 01-11-2006 10:30 PM

Tim, I can host the files easily enough. Leave them in TurboCAD format, zip'em and email'em. I'm building a page right now with my detail drawings like engines, servos, etc.

BMatthews 01-11-2006 10:34 PM

That's fine for me and the TurboCAD clan but may not work for some others.

Tim, if you've got the early version and can't save them in any of the DWG or DXF formats or as an image then email them to me and I'll convert using my stuff.

Besides, I'm curious to see what's got you all in a huff... :D

I'll PM you my email addy.

ptulmer 01-11-2006 10:37 PM

Bruce, like you mentioned, the TurboCAD format is compressed and would simply make a smaller file to email. I've been putting all three formats in the detail files. Can you think of any others?

BMatthews 01-11-2006 10:42 PM

Not really, if you have DXF and DWG covered that's the big two. The TurboCAD format is just icing on the cake for me and the rest of the TurboClan...

KidEpoxy 01-11-2006 11:21 PM

I grabbed Virtual PDF Printer software, it installs a capture printer to windows, any app that prints can print to this Virtual Printer, and it saves the printjob as a PDF. Free with ad tagline, or pay for no ad. Name of the software is GO2PDF

But I just hit the printscreen button & tweak in Paint to post a jpg for what I'm doing.

---edit: ok, just tryed it and rcu don't like pdf files, oops, nevermind

Bipe Flyer 01-12-2006 02:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can open a Turbocad file in Tile Print and save it as a JPEG.

Tim Wiltse-RCU 01-12-2006 08:21 AM

Thanks guys for the help. I am sure now that I can get one of the ideas to work. All I have is some cool Cox stuff

LAter,
Tim

Aussie Damo 01-13-2006 05:58 AM

Ragwig, where do you get PDF 995 from.
anybody else. is there a free version of these programs Turbo Cad or Auto Cad etc or how much do they cost or does anbody have a CD that they can send me and ill pay for postage.
note, i only have dial up internet connection

SGC 01-13-2006 06:29 AM

Damo ,
I tried google and found " http://www.pdf995.com/ "
Stewart

DICKEYBIRD 01-13-2006 07:46 AM

TurboCAD LE (Learning Edition, free download) and the manuals (free .pdf download) are available here: http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php LE is just an older version (v4.0) - a perfectly good 2D program.

Enjoy!:)

flyswatter 01-13-2006 08:34 AM

DB:
Thanks for the tip. Of course, now I will have to learn something new again! Been doing that ever since I graduated with a slide rule in my hand and first came face to face with a PDP 8 and the HP calculator. All these years I have been hand sketching and drawing what I wanted made. I have fiddled with CAD from time to time, but I have resisted imbracing it. Been busy learning a number of other engineering programs that have long since come and gone. But I must admit, the words; "Free Download", does ring a bell with me (as an old refugee of shareware). Well, thanks again for posting the TurboCAD LE site.

Tim Wiltse-RCU 01-13-2006 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I found a way to get something halfway good... thanks guys. I'll post the CAD files over on 1/2a all the way site.

LAter,
Tim