RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   This DNU has "GOT TO GO" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/4536217-dnu-has-%22got-go%22.html)

D Bronk 07-23-2006 07:34 PM

This DNU has "GOT TO GO"

1 Attachment(s)
Any last minute Advice??? Deputy says "GIV`er"

..Here`s the Deal :GOT a strong, new, BigMig 0.061".Prop is, a Tornado White 5"X3"..Going to use Sig 25% Nitro..All Batteries are charged ,and,they`re also good to go..Throws are 3/16", on all surfaces,useing Pull-Pull on the rear feathers..

For the Dnu owners....Should I use a different prop( see my chart, last page of Norvel FAQ)??All I want today, is this plane to Calmly ,fly around.I`m also considering flying the Maiden ,with-out the Ailerons functioning(good ,or, bad idea?)..How are you guys Launching ??Overhand,Underhand,or ,Flinging it, by the wing??Got about ,an hour and a half, of daylight left, and the Wind seems to be calming down.

Hopefully ,this plane looks the same ,at 9:30P.m. ,as it does Now ,at 7:30 P.M...Just in case ,some pics to remember it by...LOL Feeling a bit nervous..[&:]

hfenn 07-23-2006 07:41 PM

RE: This DNU has "GOT TO GO"

Launch overhand, keep the nose level. The BigMig .061 I have pulls that size model really well with an APC 5.7X3. Good luck on the first flights!

flyinrog 07-23-2006 07:42 PM

you dont want any function ,not functioning, now go outside fire that thing up and chuck it!!!

soarrich 07-23-2006 07:43 PM

Hand toss over hand at the horizon, have the ailerons hooked up, motor slightly rich.
Good luck.

D Bronk 07-23-2006 07:47 PM

Okay Guys` going to shut the computer off.Be back with some kind of report,hopefully a good one..Oh got to set program the KILL Switch ..I`ll check back here, 1 more time just prior to Chucken`it..Thanks for the replys..Dave

Tim Wiltse-RCU 07-23-2006 08:11 PM

Dave,

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE AILERONS WORKING!!!! IT'S A FLAT WING YOU NEED THE AILERONS!!!!

Good luck for a claimly flying plane of this size with a Norvel .061 running a 5x3:D It should run 20,000 without breaking a sweet!
LAter,
Tim

D Bronk 07-23-2006 10:29 PM

;Well, I could play Good News, Bad News, but I`ll just put the ,happenings of the evening, as they went.Fired up immediately,she burned the prime, and Quit,did that a bunch of times,with me pulling the wing, no less than 3 times,with a whole bunch of attempts of primeing,and starting the engine.I never did find out why, the muffler pressure was not pushing ,the fuel to the Carb.This engine would pull fuel when I was Breaking it in, with the Pressure line, disconnected .That`s how I finally got it to run,took the pressure line off, and, away she went.I let it run like that, for a minute,and then hooked the pressure line up again,and no more trouble ,till the sun went down..I`ll have to figure that problem out...Real weird, like an air lock..Anyways,at this point I was raceing the sun, I threw the plane out ,over the field (4` of grass),and she went down, about ,25 feet out from my launch,in a pretty shallow dive.This happened 4 times.No damage the grass is a good cushion.:D,,I made some trim adjustments, each time,and every time the launch(getting the hang of that now) was better.The last try I programed quit a bit of up elevator into the TX. Launched at full throttle.I got the plane about 30-35 feet up,and she did a slow roll,to the left ,and went in about 100 feet out,from where I chucked it.That was the furthest flight ,if you can call it that .:eek:

So to Sum it up,I had trouble to get it to run.The flight was short, but the Dnu survived the punishment..I think my ailerons are needing some adjustment to give them a better centering position(dual servos) on the wing(bring them both up, higher) and ,possibly the elevator needs some better triming too.The best thing of all is ,I think I`ll be able to fool with her tommorow,and have some one to opperate the Camera too..I was alone tonight, so ,No Video.. But it looks good ,for getting her to fly out an entire tank of fuel(need to investigate that too)..

combatpigg 07-23-2006 11:41 PM

Dave, a free flight guru taught me how to see if a plane will fly straight, or not. Hold the wing out at arms' length, with the rear of the wing facing you and sight down the trailing edge, looking for a twist, dip, or any indication that the set up is crooked. It doesn't take a trained eye or any talent, just a good hard look at it. The incidence meter is nice to have, but not needed. with the whole plane blocked up level on the table, you should be able to go around and compare measurements off the table as a reference. compare full deflection throws and accurate centering, [since you are using 2 aileron servos make sure the linkage geometry is identical]. If the plane is balanced and straight, it should practically fly itself and go where it's pointed. Also check the sturdyness of your control setup with the control surface at full deflection, you shouldn't be able to press against the flap [within reason] and move it much at all.

D Bronk 07-23-2006 11:54 PM

Thanks for the Tips.. I`m calling it a Day soon,But Tommorow`s a new one,and, I`ll give her some attention.I`m pretty certain That it`s my setup that needs to be re-setup...Most likely, be asking for ideas again tommorrow ,but at least I`ll be able to show Video, and won`t have to rely so much, on my descriptions.You Pros ,will probably be able to see the obvious,from a Vid., that`s smacking me in the Face,but I`m not seeing....This DNU,has "GOT TO GO".;)I can feel she wants to,Too[8D]... Dave

Raymond LeFlyr 07-24-2006 06:33 PM

I sure wish I could be there to help figure out the problem. For me its always something simple that requires a resounding forehead slap accompanied by, "duh." Like one of my favorites is crossing the pressure and pickup lines. Or making the pickup line too long so that sometimes it hangs up.

As for launch techniques, I totally agree with everybody who said just hold it up and give it a firm toss toward the horizon - but not too hard. I don't know how many times I've seen people run a few steps, stop dead, and heave the model into the ground. Oh wait, that was witnesses describing my hand-launch technique. Oh fellows, would any of youse-all like me to launch for you at Rog's next do?

combatpigg 07-24-2006 07:08 PM

My DNU wing has a perpetual twist that needs to be ironed out before I take it to the field. It probably is due to a stress that I created when ironing on the film, and it has a memory. your question about whether or not to fly it with the ailerons hook up, frankly makes me nervous. The control for a right turn is right aileron up, left aileron down. I don't mean to state the obvious here, but I don't know what your level of experience is.

efish 07-24-2006 08:07 PM

Hi Dave, I used to fly a DNU with an 0.061 Wasp engine.

Not sure if it'll help you, but I never really had to throw the plane to launch it. At full throttle with an APC 5.7 x 3 prop, the plane just needed to be "released" to pick up enough forward speed to fly. Well, ok, most times, I used a slight forward motion, but never felt that the plane needed it. To slow the plane down initially, I used a APC 6x3 prop that let me cruise around pretty leisurely.

The other thing I did before maidening it was to run up the engine and trim out the plane while holding it about the CG - was pretty surprised how well that worked out.

Not sure how old your BigMig is, but I had problems like yours once on a Wasp and all it needed was a new plug.

Hope that helps.

combatpigg 07-24-2006 08:21 PM

That's a great tip, holding the plane lightly, and feeling for the trim with the engine going. It worked for me, when testing for how much down thrust to put in a low thrust line twin.

D Bronk 07-24-2006 10:22 PM

Well, I got a flight in, sort of.Learned something today, again,I`m real rusty on the Sticks..So rusty it`s embarassing.I got a short vid loading right now.I figured out the throws,Good enough, to get her to fly,but I had a delema with trying to fly, and trim it out ,a bit more, at the same time..What I have to say, is this Dnu Rocks pretty good ,With the Norvel..I went with the Cox 5X3 Black prop ,Thimble Drome Today.Before I get to much deeper into this Flight.I`m hopeing you all, will take a look at the Vid.,cause I could use more pointers..I`ll stop for now and get back here once i have a link to post...Thanks everybody,I wish you were all here too...Dave

KidEpoxy 07-24-2006 10:41 PM

Seems I was too slow finding the pic of PropBusters Ballet Toss to inspire ya

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/th...99/Vs55704.jpg
[link=http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/71999/Vs55704.jpg]Prop's Ballet Toss[/link]

D Bronk 07-24-2006 11:08 PM

Here`s the link http://media.putfile.com/UhOhnoNoNO

like I said KID, I need some improveing. So I`ll watch that one, after, I take some pics ,and get them edited, to put in here too. I hang my Head, in Shame ,and in,,,,,,

D Bronk 07-24-2006 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"I hang my Head, in Shame ,and in,,,,,, "

Sorrow..Let us Bow ,our Heads..[:o]LoL..

The Kids will be upset that I broke the RED BARON..(that`s what they call it).But I told them that,This one is Mine..I`m thinking back to the LST Trainer ,and Now, I`m sure I got a batch of FAULTY Wood..Kid ,What do you think Epoxy??..Any Ways these pictures are of where the Video left off..I waited too late in the Day .It was all my fault I looked down at my radio,for a split second and,it was over[&:]DUHHUhuhhhuMEeee..I`ve never fixed this much damage before...Suggestions??? Patch, or, Scratch?? By the Way, the nephews are showing up on Wednesday,and that ,Should be an intresting few Days too..:)..I`m starting to Think, I need, to be Re-trained..A few more planes, and I`ll know for sure..LOL Dave .

combatpigg 07-25-2006 12:07 AM

Dave, I would just cobweb it back together as quickly as possible, just get it as straight as you can, without going overboard. Get the throws dialed down a little, and keep at it. You might bring some plumbers' solder to the field, and fly it slightly nose heavy, then as you get used to it, subtract the nose weight a little at a time. An 1/8" of travel on the ailerons should be pretty tame, but flyable.

The one thing about the plane that would confuse me is having a similar pattern, trim sceme on top and bottom. I like to just have the high lights and details on top, then just leave the underside plain.

D Bronk 07-25-2006 12:31 AM

Well I`m going to call it a day, and see ,what I can do ,with this mess tommorrow..CP ,this is happening outside my front door ,so everything is near by.I can slide the battery ahead too.The patch up is probably my best bet at the Moment..I don`t TRUST myself,and I`m loseing my nerve now.So ,why do this again to a new Fuse.I don`t like to think negative like that, but.Next attempt, I`m going to walk an 1/8 th mile out ,to the middle of the Field ,and get away from some of these distractions,(Bushes Buildings, Trees ,vehicles),and try this again...Man this Bites...Sigh.

efish 07-25-2006 12:40 AM

Hey Dave, take heart, I patched my DNU back together when it was in worst shape!

Tall grass, 2 trees and the side of a building all take their toll flying into a DNU! Not to mention the time my receiver failed and the plane did a straight dive into the ground from way way up! Still flew fabulously after all that until a ganrly old tree finally snatched it one gusty afternoon. Guess I could still patch it together, but after a several hundred sorties, I figured the plane deserves to rest in peace.

If you have some fibreglass cloth/tape, the stuff is great for reinforcing suspect critical joints. Just tack on with 3M 77 (not required for small pieces) and saturate with CA.

combatpigg 07-25-2006 12:42 AM

Too bad you don't have a 6x2 prop, that would lower the planes' speed and make it easier to fly. even a 6x3 would help, a 5x3 is a hotrod prop.

D Bronk 07-25-2006 01:11 AM

CP.I just order 12 props today, and, they should be here Thursday-Friday,A couple APC 6x2" is in that order, and a 6"X3" I have on Hand.:eek: I changed from the 5"x3" Tornado, to the Cox Thimble DROME 5X3 with the thinking, that the Wider blade Would pull it out of my Hand launch Quicker...AND It did...CP..Thanks for trying to steer me Right.I`m a bit Bull Headed,and still go to the School of Hard, knocks sometimes.I`m going to try your suggestions.I`ll just have to give another kick ,at this Cat..

E-fish..I don`t like to hear about, anyone wrecking their stuff,.I`m sorry to hear about your DNU.But,,You made me feel better, by telling me your story..Thanks. I know I`m making light of my wreck,But it`s the most damage I`ve done to an R/C plane..The Walk of Shame ,back to the house , was pretty painful..You know, you look at your hard work, and, the care taken, to build this thing, and It`s just so SAD to carry it home ,all busted up..Maybe there is an advantage , to an ARF after all.,you don`t get so attached to them..

soarrich 07-25-2006 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: D Bronk
I`m going to walk an 1/8 th mile out ,to the middle of the Field ,
I'll think of your hardship on my 40 minute drive to the flying field. :D

Tim Wiltse-RCU 07-25-2006 07:14 AM

Dave,

Slap that thing back together it doesn't look to awfull bad from here. Like you said no need to make another fuse and risk maybe bashing that one to. If you like the DNU's design but it's alittle fast for you you could always make another wing for it with a couple extra bays in the wing. I hope I am not speaking out of place and Patrick set me in my place if I am but I bet the DNU is alot like the LS150 in that adding a few inches to the wing changes alot in how it flies.

And don't forget to use the throttle next time:D

Later,
Tim

ptulmer 07-25-2006 07:33 AM

Tim, you're absolutely right. Adding a few bays would help slow it down, the 6x2 prop will help too. But, it's important to remember that it's not a trainer. Better to get that LST into the air first.