RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Post pictures of your Bi-planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/4711469-post-pictures-your-bi-planes.html)

skaliwag 09-04-2006 10:47 PM

Post pictures of your Bi-planes

1 Attachment(s)
Seeing the thread requesting an airframe for a 26 Four Stroker and the number of Bi-planes that have popped up I thought I would start a thread for pictures of Bi-Planes that we have built.

supagloo 09-05-2006 01:47 AM

RE: Post pictures of your Bi-planes

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...49/Vl81603.gif

Guess what....It has one of your favorite engines fitted!;)

BobHH 09-05-2006 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Little biplane! The Flipper! Of course not to forget my School Girl! Whoops! Almost forgot the Little Roughneck Bipe!! Thanks Skaliwag!!

Bob Harris

RevGQ 09-06-2006 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ASM Pitts, bought two of thess puppies. One with ST 2300 and the Other sporting a Mvvs 1.60 gasser.

[img][/img][img][/img]

Bipe Flyer 09-06-2006 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now here's a thread I can get into! Just 1/2A, or anything?

These are from my own plans

Ultimate - Norvel .061
Cloud Buster - Norvel .0074
Bipe Stik - Norvel .074
A couple of unnamed bipes - Norvel .061
Pitts S2S - Saito .30
Bulldog Pitts S2S - OS .46SF
Beechcraft Staggerwing - OS .46FX

DICKEYBIRD 09-06-2006 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK Steve, you've seen this one at the S.M.A.L.L. events ad nauseum but here it is again anyway.:) "Stealth Camel" 3 channel, 250 sq. in, 8 oz., Tee Dee .020 w/throttle sleeve, Doculam covering....still needs a pilot! (Pic w/blue sky background courtesy of FM mag S.M.A.L.L. article author/photo-guru Alan Porter.)

gcb 09-07-2006 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this is not what you are looking for but I couldn't resist. :)

Walt Musciano's "Little Bipe". CL from the mid fifties.

George

hogflyer 09-07-2006 09:23 AM

GCB,

What is the engine on the yellow bipe? It looks like the Arden .099 I have from my dad (has only one run on it, and I still have the orginal box and instructions).

Hogflyer

Jim_McIntyre 09-07-2006 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer
Now here's a thread I can get into! Just 1/2A, or anything?
Ok, I haven't built anything small lately but I love bipes.... here's my 1/4 Tigermoth;

beenie 09-07-2006 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scaliwag,
That looks like a little Sig Hog Bipe. I have the plans for one waiting to be scaled down to .30fs or 1/2a.

These are some pics of bipes that I have or had. The red wing one was designed from the Tiny wing with a new fuse and a larger top wing. A good little flier with a .061. The Ag-Cat is adapted from blown-up plans for free flight. At 3 lbs a good flier with the .30fs. The ultimate was at one time an ARF, picked it up crashed and rebuilt it with a few improvements. Came out a bit heavy and was sold.
Ben

AlphaWhisky 09-08-2006 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here`s my little Herr Pitts. It`s one of the very few kits I`ve built in a very long time. It`s powered with an O.S 10 FSR. It was completed about 3 months ago and then put aside in favor of a couple of other projects.

It had it had its first two flights in rather gusty conditions today. It was set up with the specified control throws which I found to be about half that required for comfortable flight.

It seems it will be quite fun in calm conditions.

Alan W

jlkonn 09-08-2006 06:38 AM

Alan,
Can you comment on the kit?
Ease of construction...?
Instructions...?
Fit...?
Etc...?
I have always wanted a Pitts and thought the Herr kit might be the one.
Thanks!
JLK

AlphaWhisky 09-08-2006 03:13 PM

Hi JLK,

I too have a soft spot for the Pitts Special. This is my second one. The first was a serious 60" scratchbuild about 25 years ago which had nothing in common with this little effort.

To my (dinosaur?) way of thinking a Pitts Special has to be red and white, along similar thinking to Henry Ford`s black Model A`s. This finished model is a pretty little bi-plane but well away from true scale. I had heard that this Herr series are generally of good quality and I`d go along with that. The materials quality and was good. This was my first encounter with laser cutting and I thought it was excellent.

The general model certainly wasn`t difficult to build, parts fit was very good. The fuselage is basically tab-in-slot construction and you couldn`t build it crooked if you tried.

The instructions were sort-of OK - mostly good, but a couple of minor errors in there which lead me to believe that whoever wrote them hadn`t actually built the model. That was not a major problem.

As reported above, I`ve only had two flights with it so far and not in the best of conditions - too gusty for comfort. There seemed to be a minor problem with the initial setup. I had to apply almost full down elevator to arrive at level flight. That apart, it wasn`t anywhere near as twitchy as I expected in such a small model. Both ailerons and elevator were barely effective at all at the recommended settings and I virtually doubled the throw on both to arrive at what I reckon is 'normal' control.The model will loop and roll with ease - I haven`t tried anything else as yet.

Both landings were easy - the first one was a dead-stick event and the model was surprisingly good on the glide.

All in all a pleasant little build. The finished product is a pretty little model to look at, but I don`t think it will have a matching performance. It certainly isn`t a learner's flying model.

Alan W

AlphaWhisky 09-08-2006 03:18 PM

I forgot to mention above ...... those ugly great rubberbands irk me everytime I look at it. I think I might make some other arrangement there soon and just hang the model in the office for show. I think that`s it in a nutshell. It looks better than it flies.....

Alan W

west6008 09-09-2006 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my original design Nuthatch, Cox Black Widow

Bipe Flyer 09-09-2006 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My .010 powered Staggerspeck.

hogflyer 09-10-2006 12:14 AM

And now for the real thing - Jim Leroy performing at Oshkosh 2006!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1MBQ...elated&search=

Hogflyer

Bipe Flyer 09-10-2006 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great video!

Speaking of Jim LeRoy, this picture was taken while I was holding a pole for a knife edge ribbon cut in 2000.

The other picture is Jim with a model I built for him. Sorry, couldn't resist showing it off.