RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Ace Allstar Bipe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/509115-ace-allstar-bipe.html)

Betired 01-25-2003 07:51 PM

Ace Allstar Bipe

does any one out there remember the Ace Allstar biplane from way back when. it had foam wings and i think 3 channel with a 10
size motor
sure would like to find one again :cool:

AR196 01-25-2003 08:01 PM

Ace Allstar Bipe

RC Modeler Mag has the original plan by Romey Bukolt.

Built one many years ago. The plan shows tapered Ace Mini-Foam Wings. Could not get those at the time so used the constant chord, which added a bit more area. Still flew fine.

Took about a weekend to build even from plans. So there's really no excuse if you must have one.

skylane42 01-26-2003 08:53 AM

Ace Allstar Bipe

Mine used a Med 09 and ail and elevator.. flew it until the wings became U shaped and then sold it and that person flew it for a few more years.. Want One? Besides here, eBay is your best bet. Expect to pay around $50 for one.

AR196 01-26-2003 02:50 PM

Ace Allstar Bipe

Betired, I can send you a scan of the actual Ace kit plan, reduced size, if that would help you.

There's enough info there that you could make the plane from it.

skypupmut 01-26-2003 04:39 PM

Ace Allstar Bipe

Just checked out the Mag article RCM July 1972
have a pair of wings on a Midwest Fok D VII
have to build one
RCM carries the plan # 499 still
but will build as usual from mag article
I just need an other airplane will be # 29 in axtual hangar (basement) from 16 " to 13 Feet
but love the small ones also
will go well with my Balsa USA EAA Bipe 1/4 scale
thanks for reminding me of this beaut.

dasflugmodele 01-26-2003 07:06 PM

Ace Allstar Bipe

Betired,,
Had one of these all star bibes. OS 10 Then a 15. I thought it was a dog. Tossed it and got an ATTACKER .
Good luck

dasflugmodele
cold is for beer; not flying

jgiles-RCU 01-27-2003 07:31 PM

Ace Allstar Bipe

This was the second plane for one of my students and I would not recommend it unless you are an advanced pilot. I ended up doing most of the flying on the plane for him and it was a real handful! It had a vicious tendency to snap during landing and had to be landed HOT.

The main problem was due to excessive weight as he had a K&B .20 sportster, and full size radio gear crammed into the plane. I did check the CG, control throws, wing incidence, etc. and everything seemed ok. Add to that a very tempermental K&B .20 resulting in multiple dead sticks, and it was not a good experience. After several crashes and repairs, the plane basically became unflyable.

If you kept it light, it would probably fly acceptably. Also, the upper wing attachment method with the music wire seemed very heavy for the plane.

phuffstatler 01-28-2003 05:02 PM

Light AllStar

Kept light, this plane does fly very well. You are right, it gets squirrelly when overweight....

I built an old kit, and I scratch built one from the RCM plans years later. The second one weighed quite a bit less with an Enya .09 on it and HS-81 servos, versus the first one with a Fox .15 and standard servos. Worked pretty well... The only problem I had was the fuel foaming in the tank, making the engine go lean....

phil in austin

skypupmut 01-28-2003 07:00 PM

Ace Allstar Bipe

Your flight description is somewhat like my midwest D VII
with an old enya .19 got it back in 1969
has 27 flights according to my log book
will try to keep it light and see

Grampaw 01-31-2003 05:29 AM

Ace Allstar Bipe

We had two All Stars, both built from RCM plans with the store bought Ace tapered wings. One had an OS .10 and mine had a
Fox .15. First flight on the .10 resulted in a lot of tail wagging followed by a crash that wiped out the cabane struts. It was rebuilt and later flown OK. Mine flew well thanks to trails and tribulations on the .10. At first they were hand launched, then I tried a ROG with the same results on take off problems, and crashed it trying to catch up with it. Finally I pointed it into the wind and let it run till it took off by itself wth no problems...go figure! After that every flight was pure pleasure. Landings were a learning experience also, but as mentioned earlier, it had to be brought down like a Mustang, hot. I literally wore it and the engine out. Then I enlarged the plans and built a .40 size All Star and with a borrowed Enya .40 had a plane that was something else. I used standard equipment in both. Build it as specified, but go with the constant chord wings, I think you'll like it better.
If you haven't seen the plans yet, you're gonna like the cabane
structure...eash and solid. Gotta go. I'm going to dig out the old plans and start on another .40 size as due to a mishap I now have a spare .40 looking for a home. Enjoy...

G Watson 02-07-2003 05:16 AM

ACE Allstar Bipe

I have an ACE Allstar Bipe for sale.

It is competely built, but has not been flown. It is covered with white film and has the ACE logos on it. The fuel tank is in place.

Just needs and engine and radio.

Price: $95.00 shipped in the lower 48

Capt. Bill 02-13-2006 09:24 PM

RE: Ace Allstar Bipe

1 Attachment(s)
This is an old post to reply to but I have an Allstar Bipe I built back in 1973 and flew it once for about 30 seconds before I had radio trouble. Haven't bothered with it since but think I will get it going again. Needs the fuselage recovered though. The one I got was the improved with the constant cord wings The old OS 15 is still sitting on the front and wonder if it will run. I covered the foam wings with Solarfilm since it used low heat. Pictures below

build light 02-13-2006 11:07 PM

Its OK an old thread and an old plane but one which in my opinion never goes out of style.

Let us know how she does!

Robert

50+AirYears 02-13-2006 11:57 PM

Picked up one partly built at an estate sale once. Finished it with 3 S133 servos and a standard size reciever and 500mAh battery pack. Drilled the motor mount for both a Fox BB 15 and an HB 15. After reading the original article, and hearing some comments about the plane, I went with the HB (8-4 prop at about 12500 for the HB, 14500 for the Fox) Great choice even for taking off from grass. Very aerobatic as well. Definitely not a beginer's plane.

Got a few comments from people who had them and thought they were junk. Everyone who had bad service from them had used 19s or ST 23s. Very prone to snap rolling on take-off. They had trouble believing I had selected the HB over the Fox because HB had less power. I had the plane stolen from my car before I could try the Fox.
Almost wish I could find another one, but I still have about a lifetime of kits in my attic to build yet, and another couple of lifetimes worth of plans.

Bipe Flyer 02-14-2006 12:20 AM

It looks nice Wblakeney. I had the ACE Simple Ultimate. One of the most enjoyable planes I ever had.

flyinrog 02-14-2006 08:24 AM

Hey Bipe I was just gonna ask about one of those, a friend and I are contemplating whether to build your bipe from plans or just get a couple of the Ace ultimate kits,, will the Norvel .074 fly it or do we need to go .10 (magnum) or .15 ( I already have both.074 and .15 norvel), he only has a .074) neither of us has a lot of building time and I have done a couple of the simple series, he has only done ARF but he flies mostly .40 stuff, I'm leaning toward the Ace kit myself but I told him I'd cut him a kit if he wanted.... Rog
Oh btw also just won a brand new OS .25 on ebay and it looks perfect:D the guy even refunded $2 cause the postage was less than he charged me,never had that happen before...he said it had maybe 20 flights on it and there is not a scratch/dirt on this engine!

Bipe Flyer 02-14-2006 02:33 PM

An .074 wont be enough. I flew mine with a .25. The ACE Simple Ultimate is all plywood and weighs about 2.5lbs IIRC. The Mini Bipe Stik weighs about 20oz.

propbuster 02-14-2006 06:19 PM

Well, Lookey here, http://cgi.ebay.com/Ace-AllStar-Bipe...QQcmdZViewItem Some coincidence :D

flyinrog 02-14-2006 06:35 PM

Cool he just bought a .25 Enya too..thanks..Rog

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

An .074 wont be enough. I flew mine with a .25. The ACE Simple Ultimate is all plywood and weighs about 2.5lbs IIRC. The Mini Bipe Stik weighs about 20oz.

Remby 02-14-2006 09:33 PM

I had one in the late 70's , had a cox Medallion 15, rudder & elevator. Kit came with the constant cord wings. It flew like it should of with that motor, pretty quick and loads of power. A overall good time, dead stick landings taught the important lesson on finding the ground the right way.

That engine size was the largest I have built a plane , all the others have been 1/2a 049s.

I did post the B&W photo a time ago, if I run across it I will repost .

flyinrog 02-16-2006 04:31 AM

So who has an Ace Ultimate bipe and what wheels are you using? we fly from a decent field and with a .25 it should take off from a picnic table but my 1/2a experience with landing quite often leads to "pranging" upon landing and if this thing lands fast then that would lead to "fast pranging", which doesnt sound like much fun...so what is a good size wheel?..Rog
I may not go with a .25 maybe a .15

fritzke 02-16-2006 09:41 AM

A .15-.20 is "right" for an All Star, the lighter the motor the better. I think the Norvell .15 would be ideal,
or an old "stroker" .15 if you want a bigger prop. I flew both of mine with an old steel fin OS .15,
which was just right IMHO. I think in general the older motors are happier with bigger props than new
ones. I never knew Ace made an All Star with straight wings.
Sheldons lists the Ultimite:
http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/listing/ace02.html
Dave

Remby 02-16-2006 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is that old 70's photo, it was under construction. Dubro wheels, and those constant chord wings. Really did fly quite well.

mnrcaerobat 02-16-2006 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

So who has an Ace Ultimate bipe and what wheels are you using? we fly from a decent field and with a .25 it should take off from a picnic table but my 1/2a experience with landing quite often leads to "pranging" upon landing and if this thing lands fast then that would lead to "fast pranging", which doesnt sound like much fun...so what is a good size wheel?..Rog
I may not go with a .25 maybe a .15
The kit comes with tires (the kit is actually quite complete). I flew one from a grassfield. It was ok. My plane was decently powered with a used k&b 20. It sure was a nice running motor. My plane never flew very well for me. I think it may have been too heavy as I glassed the wings. I used a light cloth and finishing resin and painted them.

deckerv 02-16-2006 11:50 AM

I still have mine.... my dad built it as his 1st airplane when we were getting into RC, only to find out that it wasn't the best choice for a 1st airplane... so we never flew it until many years later. We tried to fly it once, and it snapped after getting airborn. Only broke the wooden cabanes... so it's fixed and hanging in my mom's basement right now :) It's the tapered cord version.