RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   Fokker DR-1 yucateco (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/5711628-fokker-dr-1-yucateco.html)

Bolio 04-13-2007 06:38 PM

Fokker DR-1 yucateco

1 Attachment(s)
Look what our Bro Leom has finished:
Is incredible well done and very detailed.
Started life as a Guillows kit and finished as a full house four channel Norvel .061 powered job.
I don't think it can be hovered but has plenty of power!!!
Has to be seen in person to really appreciate the craftsmanship.
Saludos.

Sneasle 04-13-2007 07:53 PM

RE: Fokker DR-1 yucateco

That is cool.

Is that a norvel I see under the cowl?

digital_trucker 04-13-2007 09:36 PM

dang, that's purty

rainedave 04-13-2007 11:43 PM

That's a great project. I bet that Norvel .061 does give it plenty of power. A beautiful plane, guys.

skaliwag 04-13-2007 11:57 PM

Bonita Pajaro Senor Leom ....

Bolio 04-13-2007 11:59 PM

The Fokker is powered with a Norvel .061 and is covered with coverlite. Looks like doped tissue:)
We changed the battery for a smaller one and the weight ended in 12.5 oz.
I told him that the rudder and ailerons are too small and so he returned to the bench for some mods.
The maiden shoiuld be this Sunday, just hope the wind can take a vacation......
Saludos.

tweedy 04-26-2007 10:45 PM

wow? I think i would put the prop on backwards for the first flight on this one look I looks like it might be a real handfull but a real beuty.

Richard

rainedave 04-26-2007 10:53 PM

It does look really cool. This is just me, but I would put a bit of reflex in the aileron "ears" to act as washout. This thing is going to slow really fast when the throttle is chopped and you don't want a wing to drop. Understand, I have to build safety features into my planes if I want to fly them more than once.:D

David

Bolio 04-27-2007 01:49 AM

Glad to watch the thread up!
We tried to fly the sorry plane this last Sunday.....
One word to describe the flying....... bad!!!!
Was really tail heavy and don't responded at the ailerons at all, the rudder was over reacting and the nose was up all the time trying to loop.
Boy, our hands were full!!!!!
At one point during the flight, the pilot decided to eject from the plane
We laughed like crazy off watching the little bust in free fall......
I was at the sticks and the general consensus is that the pilot don't liked my flying style. I said that the pilot was dumb because after jumping the plane his parachute didn't opened, so who was the smarter here????
After the crash, we decided to make the nose longer and put the top wing a little more negative.
One thing is for sure, we are going to make it fly
Bro Leom is working on the repairs and mods and soon we will try again.
Saludos.

W.A.S.P.S-Flyer 04-27-2007 06:30 AM

I hope there wasn't too much damage. Did the pilot survive or is he MIA?

ZoomZoom-RCU 04-30-2007 08:12 AM

;)Sorry to hear about the squirrelly maiden in such a nice lookin little machine. Im sure you guys will get the bugs worked out. I built one in a similar scale for an .049 motor, and had considerable trouble with it till I got it trimmed properly. then it flew like a treat! As I'm sure tou are aware, with planes this size a little adjustment in balance makes a HUGE difference, and even more so with a triplane which is inherently a quick turner, and very aerobatic. You may get away with just putting in some nose weight! Anyway...good luck.

ZZ.

PS, My fokker DR1 flies solely on rudder alone, it has no ailerons. With the Dr1's, rudder is always more effective than the ailerons.;)

paulsen 04-30-2007 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one I slaped an .020 and 2 channels on few years back. I have only test glided it and never flew it, kind of a mistery even to me why I never did fly it (fear of killing it I guess). Mine came in at 8oz I could probably get it down to 7oz if I went through and changed Rx, batt to single with a power step up gadget, and swaped out the 2-56 wire push rods. Maybe some day i'll fly it. :)

Bolio 04-30-2007 09:34 PM

Paulsen, thats a beautifull plane, I uderstand completely your reluctance to put it in danger.
At the same time, looks so straight and well built that I think should fly like an angel.

When my cousin brought the plane to my home I told him to hang it up on the ceiling and not to risk it. But he's answer was: This was built to fly and fly it will.
So the commitment was that no matter how many tries and rebuilds it takes, were going to make it fly.
Thanks for sharing such great little plane.
Saludos.

Phlip 04-30-2007 10:05 PM

Two great planes there! Sah-weet! I agree, putting nose weight on Leom's plane would probably be the first and easiest fix.

Phil

paulsen 05-01-2007 12:49 AM

Your cousins DR1 came out so damn fine with that finish scheme that I feel like building another one and trying to find another finish shceme, like the black falcon I saw in Fly Boys the movie, only problem is he was the kind of pilot even his own squadron hated :) . I would use a bigger engine this time like your cousin did though. Not sure how big maybe R/C .030 G Mark or .061 Norvel, that thought should keep me busy for awhile. :)

Well i'm off to google me some DR1 finish shcemes.

ZoomZoom-RCU 05-01-2007 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are of my 1st generation DR1 for .049. It was a great flyer till I had a battery cable disconnect in flight. Ah well, you learn things this way, spend a few cents for a good tight connector and save an entire plane! duh!!!! Anyway, the second generation is flying strong. This one was in Ulrich Neckels' scheme(I believe). My current DR1 is in August Rabins scheme. At this scale its a lot easier to spot in the air!!!! Oh and by the way, the way, i had to add the Albatros too cause they are now a matched pair. Hehe. Good Luck with your DR1. dont give up!

ZZ.

paulsen 05-02-2007 01:04 AM

Beautifull planes!

The thought of scaling up my guillows DR1 plans for a .30 saito has crossed my mind many many times, I have a proctor kit of a Sopwith Camel in line of that project though. Are your planes scratch built ZZ?

ZoomZoom-RCU 05-02-2007 07:51 AM

:DThanks Paulsen, and yes they are scratch built. The fokker is mostly made from foam meat tray material (fuse) and the wing is hot wire cut from blue foam. The albatros wings are the same as the fokkers, cut blue foam, but the fuse is paper composite formed in a mold. They both run on Sure-starts. By the way, your DR1 is beautifull.....you've GOT to fly that thing. Just find a field near where you live with really deep grass so if it crashes its soft, and give it a go!! Orrrrrrrrrr........mail it to me and I'll get her up!!!! hehehe.;)

ZZ.

paulsen 05-02-2007 10:59 PM

I should swap out some of the elecronics and control links to try to loose as much weight as possible and toss it in the sky. Thanks for the offer to get her airborn for me, I may have to think about that.....OK thought about it, I desided to go ahead and offer the R/C God's the Guillows sacrifice myself. :)

Hey Bolio, do you guy's have a video camera laying around that you might record the next flight with? I have turned into quite the R/C video junkie. :D

combatpigg 05-02-2007 11:20 PM

I think this thread just set a record for the highest number of beautiful planes! I would guess that the tri-plane will use the .061s' power nicely and mounting it further forward should do the trick. Has the pilot been court martialed yet for bailing out?

Bolio 05-03-2007 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think this thread just set a record for the highest number of beautiful planes! I would guess that the tri-plane will use the .061s' power nicely and mounting it further forward should do the trick. Has the pilot been court martialed yet for bailing out?
LOL Nope, the pilot was declared unable to do further testing due to extreme fear to acrobatics, so has been relegated to office duty;)
Bro Leom has been busy and the rebuild is coming slow, I promise to update as soon as possible.
I love 1/2A planes¡¡¡
Saludos.

Bolio 05-11-2007 10:58 AM

News flash¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
The Fokker is ready for his next mission¡¡¡
We plan to try as soon as the wind dies a little.
Looks like nothing ever happened to it, Bro Leom has made a very good job on the repairs. The nose was lenghtened 1 inch and the pilot glued permanently to avoid scary jumps¡¡[>:]
We will keep you guys posted¡
Saludos.

paulsen 05-12-2007 02:53 AM

Good luck!

combatpigg 05-12-2007 02:56 AM

You guys better get it right this time or I'm going to have to come down there and confiscate your plane!!