RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   pylon racer plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/7395746-pylon-racer-plans.html)

windcosmic 04-20-2008 07:49 AM

pylon racer plans

Hi! Anyone has some plans of 1/2 a pylon planes to post?

combatpigg 04-20-2008 09:12 PM

RE: pylon racer plans

Hi WC....I don't have any drawings, but you could go to Toads RC site for some information. The pylon forum might have some help. The NMPRA might also have some links. I fly GLHs in a restricted class of .061 racers, they were kitted by ACE RC long ago. There might be 1/2A racer plans available at the RCM plans catalog. The Taperwing is a good design.
Don't look at the AMA competition guidelines for help or you will end up building something that looks like Noahs Ark.

Remby 04-21-2008 12:16 AM

Check through some of the older magazines from the 70's / 80's, you can find quite a few as many got the racing bug back then.

Also, one was called the "Pipsqueak", very small and fast, plans are on the web. The Ace kit for the Upstart could be made into a fast little 1/2a. Others I can remember are Quick Trick, Quicksilver, Hornet, Sonic Booms, Tee Dee Special, Miss Cosmic Wind, and this is just a start.

The old mags are what to look into, that would keep you going for quite some time.

Andrew 04-21-2008 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

<snip>.......There might be 1/2A racer plans available at the RCM plans catalog. The Taperwing is a good design.

There are a bunch from the 70's and 80's. You may not have the mags that Remby suggested, but the RCM Plans catalog is available online and you can search thru fairly quickly.

Just noted that the RCM plans have increased by $2.00 over the listed price.

www.rcmmagazine.com

hogflyer 04-21-2008 08:48 AM

Dave Fritzke still has the GLH plans on his web site:

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Hogflyer

mikegordon10 04-21-2008 04:11 PM

Check out RCM Plans for one call "The Undertaker",

av8rsodt 04-21-2008 07:30 PM

I have the plans for the Taperwing pylon racer by John Hunton that CP mentioned (from MA plans). Can't wait to see what it can do...

Brian

Zonker40 03-22-2011 03:47 PM

RCM plans still has the "Undertaker", which was published in the Mar 83 issue of RCM.  It takes awhile to build because the wing is double tapered, but it is fast and aerodynamic.  I still have the original one which was used for the photos in the magazine article.

Milt Sanders
AMA 4004

coriolan 03-22-2011 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hi WC....I don't have any drawings, but you could go to Toads RC site for some information. The pylon forum might have some help. The NMPRA might also have some links. I fly GLHs in a restricted class of .061 racers, they were kitted by ACE RC long ago. There might be 1/2A racer plans available at the RCM plans catalog. The Taperwing is a good design.
Don't look at the AMA competition guidelines for help or you will end up building something that looks like Noahs Ark.
The excellent "Toads RC" site seems to be off the air [:o]

dieFluggeister 03-23-2011 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a snapshot of the Taperwing, GLH, Sump'n Else, and Dick Ohm Special.

earlwb 03-23-2011 07:02 AM

Back in the 1970's. a number of us used to fly all out .049 plylon racers that looked a lot like the first plan the "Taperwing" above. But most of us opted for more of a thin contant chord wing with a flat bottom airfoil. You know we never really came up with any plans per se back then for these planes. I think they were too easy to build for anything to have thought about it much. I remember one day several of us got together at one guy's house, who had a band saw, and we made up a big pile of wing ribs, and parts and had at it with the superglue. We would lay out some 1/16" sheeting and super glue a few ribs down, then super glue the top sheeting in place. There would be a 1/8" square stick on the front. We would run one aileron. You could build one and have it sanded in less than a hour. we would use a bottom hatch and superglue the wing onto the fuselage. The wing span was 20 to 24 inches depending on your skills. Around 100 to 150 square inches of wing area. We would run crankcase pressure, use one of the super fine threaded racing needle valves on the Cox Tee Dee engine. the cool streamlined motor mount was a required item. we would custom cut and sand our propellers. The fuel tank had a fixed fuel pickup, to kill the engine, you fly inverted for a few seconds. Generally at the time, the RC systems were not all that small or lightweight. So when the engine quit, the glide ratio was more like a Space shuttle. You tended to come in hot and skid along the ground a ways. we would put a hardwood skid on the bottom to keep the wear down.

jetpack 03-23-2011 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pilot's Little Toni

xDennis 04-02-2018 05:53 PM

I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but I've been looking for some Balsa plans to learn how to build. I'm interested in the little toni that Jetpack posted. My question is, how do you print the plans to be the appropriate scale?

Zonker40 04-02-2018 08:05 PM

Dennis: many plans have a scale bar included in the plans. (This one doesn't seem to have that). If you know the actual length of one of the parts, you can print hte pdf out on your printer, then measure that part on the printout and compare it with the actual length, then you can put the .pdf on a flash drive, take it to a copy place like Kinko's, and tell them what the fraction is, and let them figure out how to print it full size. If the plan has the scale bar, then do the same thing with the scale bar to get the enlargement fraction. You can also find free plans for download on aerofred.com and outerzone.uk.com which give you additional information.

The Little Toni looks like a complicated build for learning how to build, and I would suggest something like a GLH which would be much easier, especially for a first build. A Quickie 200 would also be an easier build. I have built and flown both of these two, and they fly well.

g-rock 05-28-2018 12:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just noticed this thread. Here is the Scorcher by Ken Willard. I built and flown one for the summer of 1962. This design ended up being my favorite 1/2A model for it flew like it was on rails. Even placed second in a spot landing contest. The main problem that I had with it was the engine would cut out if I launched it too hard. Pressurised fuel will likely solve this problem.

It cannot compete against current pylon designs but it is plenty fast enough for me.

The PDF file is full size and tiled.

Gene

Pond Skipper 05-28-2018 04:55 PM

You could try a TD and 1oz hard tank should go pretty fast with the mod made to the fuselage.
APC 4.75x4 will get it doing 75 ish mph down wind. Would be a treat for you to fly one again
with modern gear and a throttle sleeve to manage power, should be some fun for you!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...3b223b054f.png

g-rock 05-29-2018 12:52 AM

I think that I did have a TD to haul it around. I was still in high school back then and was not aware of pressurizing. As for building another one, my flying days are over do to a physical problem.
Gene

cortacesped 05-30-2018 05:48 AM

Gene, sorry to read that, but is good to see you here at the forum, as one of the regulars. You and dfritzke were my source for 1/2A plans over the years. Thanks !

the Scorcher ... I love that lines, printed circa 2004, but still on my building list.

Pylon polisher by Frank Ehling is a nice model too.

Regards.
Claudio

g-rock 05-30-2018 11:20 AM

This might be interesting for some. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2749911
This link documents the building of a Scorcher by Sundancer over at RcGroups.
Thanks.

Gene

049flyer 08-14-2018 03:03 PM

A couple of years ago we were racing these:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...ure-start.html

r ward 08-15-2018 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by dieFluggeister (Post 10417380)
Here is a snapshot of the Taperwing, GLH, Sump'n Else, and Dick Ohm Special.

always liked the "rivits" design. took the "Sumpin Else" plans and blew them up to 56" wing span. made a few mods ,....thinned out fuselage a bit, sectioned the expanded height of the fuselage (the expansion ended up disproportionately tall) gave it a simple, 12" straight chord 12% flat bottomed airfoil and mounted the wing at shoulder height. made a neat looking "rivits" sport plane. mods were an attempt to make the plane more of a trainer for a sport flying plane with ailerons and no dihedral in the wing. shouldered wing allowed large bay under wing for rx and servos without additional hatch. started with a Magnum .46 and ended up with an OS .61,....needed the power to drag it off grass runways easier. made a reasonably accurate 1/4 scale "Rivits" representation for a "second plane".

g-rock 10-01-2018 03:01 AM

Mini Tarka

2 Attachment(s)
Cute sport model that looks fast. Double taper wing, 30" span, flat bottom airfoil. The Mini Tarka pdf file can also be found at Outerzone.

Pond Skipper 01-15-2019 11:09 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d3cf546ad7.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...9a9788deaf.jpg

Zonker40 01-16-2019 07:35 AM

Pond Skipper: what is the weight on your model? It looks nice and clean! That carbon fiber looks neat. Do you have others to race against?

Milt

Pond Skipper 01-16-2019 09:27 PM

No racing 1/2A activities over here on my end so I just enjoy flying fast 1/2A planes.
The all up weight of this 3ch. plane is 8.25oz.
You too can enjoy a carbon fiber looking plane by using Hanger 9 black carbon shrink film.