RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   1/2A Mini-mag? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/9910572-1-2a-mini-mag.html)

combatpigg 09-19-2010 07:18 AM

RE: 1/2A Mini-mag?

Just think......it's about 50% bigger than a Blink.....[:-] !!

hllywdb 09-19-2010 10:19 AM

Looks great CP, kind of like a miglet on steroids! Any idea of the weight yet?

I couldn't get away with black on something that small and fast. These eyes would need neon colors and low rider lighting. Maybe even a radio with the computer from Kit on Knightrider. "Excuse me Michael, but you are presently inverted. Kindly push the stick on the right towards the top of the radio and then roll to your right.":D

combatpigg 09-19-2010 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's just under 13 ozs. The layout is handy, everything fits without being crammed into place. The flights went well today. I balanced it at 15% and that is where it wants to fly at. The high CG makes wind gusts want to roll the plane..there isn't much lateral stability offered from 24 inches of span. I will try shortening the fin.
The video turned out OK, so I'll try to send it up tonight.

ProBroJoe 09-20-2010 06:05 AM

My first thought when I saw the latest photos was "What's wrong with this picture?" Then I realized that all of the radio gear was in the wing and the fuselage (or power pod) was the lone item that screwed onto the airframe. Neat.

Good to hear that you were able to salvage the MiniMag Mk 1 wing and make something decent out of it. However, I'm with hllywdb on the color choice though. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

hllywdb 09-20-2010 07:48 AM

OK CP, somebody has to say it. What's with the big sheetrock screws? Did you loan out the staple gun?:D

combatpigg 09-20-2010 09:46 AM

The small size, drab color and dark, streaky sky make it more fun to fly.......[
Makes it seem faster, too.
It looked like 140 yesterday, it actually was doing 133 mph with some wind pushing it.
I need to try cutting down the fin to get it to fly better through side gusts.
I've been using coarse thread sheetrock screws for hold downs for years now. The ply plates are usually 3/16" or 1/4".
I believe in using the same thickness firewalls with these engines, too. There is still a Cyclon laying out there in the swamp grass somewhere....[:o]
Here's the video after 2 attempts to upload crapped out. A combined total of 8 hours to upload 1 minute of video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGZu4UEuR4k[/youtube]

hllywdb 09-20-2010 09:58 AM

CP that is insane against the dark sky! You're right, it looks much faster.
I steadfastly hold to my earlier post on me needing colors, lights, and Kit.:D

ProBroJoe 09-20-2010 11:02 AM

Final words: "This isn't a real relaxing flight..."

There, we finally got him to admit it! (Or about as close as we're ever gonna get!)

That think was smokin' dude! [sm=thumbup.gif]

combatpigg 09-20-2010 12:01 PM

Funny thing is the plane right before this one [Vic wont let me call it a Magnum] is so easy to fly..it is kind of relaxing [boring] and it seems slower. It's basically just about as fast and it's a better plane all around. That thing launches like a trainer.

PBJ...This one's about the same size as your rocket plane? The rocket plane would probably leave a fuzzy line to look at on WavOscope.

Andrew 09-20-2010 04:58 PM

Whew!!! What a launch. How can you tell what's up and what's down with all black against dark gray?

Well, I gotta' rest a bit after watching the vid.

andrew

combatpigg 09-20-2010 05:31 PM

Andrew, it's one of those deals where the video makes it look worse than it really is. :D

Launching that thing reminds me of the way those old AA/Fuel Altereds always did their holeshots. I haven't tried checking You Tube, but I'll bet they got some footage of those AA/FAs kicking around? One of the drivers I remember was Wild Willie Borsh in the Winged Express

ProBroJoe 09-20-2010 09:06 PM

Yea, the Ladyhawk is also 24" span, but the scary part of the flight is over in about 5 seconds. (You hardly have time to stress over it.)

BTW, youtube has a bunch of Altered videos - including The Winged Express. [8D]

So, what's next up dude? Are ya hacking away at the Husky yet?

combatpigg 09-20-2010 09:48 PM

I need to straighten out the shop and get a bunch of little messes cleaned up first. I'm restoring a 1982 F150 truck and the weather hasn't been much help, so it's a gigantic loose end. I've been painting it section by section and it's almost done.
The Husky project looks like fun...just to get it whittled down to what looks like a normal engine case. I figure the Screamin' Demon blown up to a decent size would make a nice plane. A rolling dolly that the plane lifts away from should take care of the launch and I suppose a keel fin will help prevent broken props when it lands. With all the mole hills, etc., I would want the plane to be big enough to slow down and keep the prop breakage to a minimum.

fit90 09-21-2010 08:55 AM

WOW!

I don't know how you do it.  I would've had a 100 foot debris trail after that launch.  That thing is incredible.  The engine really screams and runs great too.  Great job.

I have to rest my eyes for a while now.

Bob

fit90 09-21-2010 08:56 AM

Will the F 150 go this fast?

combatpigg 09-21-2010 10:27 AM

Maybe.....if I drive it off El Capitan......[:-]

Your hopped up TDs will also give many great hours of relaxation like this.