RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA District X Special Election
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 PM
rcplane-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA District X Special Election

Ok you asked for my opinion and I am happy to give it.

A west coast flying site seems to be 2-3 people’s biggest reason for their vote and that is fine. Here are the facts as I see them.

A west coast flying site could happen weather I or any District X Vice President wanted it or not. The first thing that would need to happen would be for it to be brought before the Executive Council at a board meeting. The Executive Council is the governing body for this organization not any 1 District Vice President.
Do I think they would vote for it....not if was proposed that headquarters was going to pay for it. why...because there is no money for it. Membership has been going down for years. You don't build a new building if your company’s income is down and you don't in this hobby either. The Executive Council it trying to figure out ways to NOT have events at Muncie COST the organization now.
I believe you all think there is a gold mine flying field out there. It is a huge expense that has to be maintained by 4 (if my memory is correct) full time PAID employees!
Now don't try and fool yourself you would get volunteer labor for it as we are talking a HUGE site with miles of grass to mow let alone water, power and every other kind of maintenance you can think of going on continually.

How would they vote yes. … possibly....if there was a logical way to fund it. Last time when it was tried over $40,000 was spent for 1 study. As many know a shrimp was found. The AMA would have had to pay $50,000 or more for a 2 year study to continue the project 2 YEARS LATER!!!
How many times can ANY organization afford to do that?

I read one of you say the new VOLT event was a success, that is great. Mike Stroup asked me to advertise it in the District newsletter I created and I did along with putting it on the District Web Site. What if it was held at a membership owned west coast flying site....who's club would have made the money now...NONE.... likely it would go into the budget. Now organizations can hold events at the Muncie site but they have to pay. Its not free. As far as I know it is only free when a member drives up and says I'd like to fly today. If you get enough pilots you could still make money but likely a regular event could make more at your home field.

One other thing. Somebody only saw me 2 times. Id say that's pretty good since I have been all over the country all year. You see unlike a person who has nothing else to do I have gone to Muncie 4 or 5 times this year, and many events that are not flying events trying to promote the hobby, as I am doing this weekend. To me it is important to do the job, not just drive around saying Hi I am Mike vote for me. The event this weekend has a projected 10.000 kids and adults coming. I am taking 250 balsa gliders to build with the kids and 130 foam plates to make FP-9 foam gliders promoting AMA's Aero Lab program to the schools.
But hay I could have gone to a flying event with 25 -40 pilots and say Hi I am Mike Brown will you vote for me..... Where do you think the District's Vice President belongs?

One last thing. I am glad you ALL are passionate about this. It IS a VERY Important position, one I am so proud to hold.
Just vote who is right for you and its all you can do. If the majority picks a guy then he is the guy to have the position.

Good Luck Lawrence

Michael E Brown
District X Vice President