RCU Forums - View Single Post - More online fraud please be careful
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: More online fraud please be careful

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

I've had my CC info compromised 2 times since August...PITA. This time they have all my info and it is a major deal. Dont have a clue how it is happening. I try to take all the normal precautions.
Here is what's happening often lately. A lot of scammers are installing coverlets over the swipe card readers at gas stations, ATM's at actual banks, fast food readers, you name it. The worst ones are at the banks. You'd think those would be safe but some aren't. So the coverlets read the cards and they either have trackers phish your ATM number or they install small cameras to view the keypad and they back tack the cards magnetic info and time stamp the key pad entries.

I've never previously had an issue with cards, etc - I travel for a living so I use them all over the place and I'm pretty darn vigilant but I got snagged at a Starbuck's in Terminal 3 at LAX recently. Either the card swiper was rigged with a skimmer or the barista was in on it (I always keep my card in sight to avoid the portable skimmers that are out there with dirty checkers) but either way it got my CC. Fortunately the bank was on top of it and saw I had charges in Europe when I should have been in LA and later Reno with other charges.

When at all possible avoid putting your PIN into a swiper at an outdoor location - use a CC or choose "credit" on an ATM card if you don't have a CC. Indoor readers at reputable locations should be fine for ATM's. I've over cautious and I've still been snagged.