RCU Forums - View Single Post - Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

She FLEW!!!

SUMMARY:

The Space Shuttle took off at 0737 hours Eastern time in Orlando, Florida at the East Orlando RC Association (Club).

The modifications were to add a wire brace (from a large Glow RC Airplane’s push rod) to keep the main landing gear situated forward and nearest to the Center-of-Gravity as possible. I used 1/32 Birch Plywood (Mid-West Product) cut into a small rectangle and placed the last reminding thicker plywood mount on top. Using again a good size servo arm and one screw on each side gave a very solid feel to the main landing gear and I secured them together using wheel locks!

Another modification was to add a 3mm depron foam floor at the bottom of the FUSE such that I can hide some of the small servo extension wires so they would not be sucked in the EDF and additionally I used Industrial Strength VELCO for attaching the ESC, external BEC, Receiver and the Batteries to the best location within the FUSE cavity.

The take-off was pretty predicable but, the flight was quickly observed as somewhat tail heavy and I just do not like that fact that this model does not have a Rudder!! You need Rudder when coming for a landing otherwise, you need Airspeed to keep those Ailerons effective! Since I was tail heavy it was really hard to keep the model aligned to the targeted Runway run and it veered off a bit into the grass and the nose wheel bracket at the servo junction ripped off without “ANY DAMAGE” to the model nor the nose wheel servo!

I am just completely satisfied and this has been the best Project I have ever had and I have learned a great deal and have additional skills as a Modeler!

MAIDEN VIDEO!!!!
[link]http://www.vimeo.com/15480251[/link]