RCU Forums - View Single Post - First rc car purchase. Need advice please
Old 10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First rc car purchase. Need advice please

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

even though redcat is still a fairly new company being just a few years old, their cars are affordable but not really top of the class.
if you know what you are doing they can be just as good as any other.
a high priced RC doesn't mean it's the best.
to me AE(team associated) monster trucks could be better for what you pay.
as far as redcat goes the grade of plastics used in their manufacturing is not the best but ok for what you pay.
in my opinion the best bang for your buck would rest with an ofna buggy of sorts.
if it's an ofna RTR(ready to run) model usually the first thing you should plan on doing is replace the steering and throttle/brake servos with high torque metal gear servos( around 60$ for both ) as the rtr one aren't that spectacular.
other than that any nitro RC that you buy should get a fail safe( around 20$ ) to prevent run aways.

there are alot of sites to choose from but i usually go to towerhobbies
and get a membership and they send a ton of coupons that come in handy.

www.towerhobbies.com

a good buy and car is the TQ7 black
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUS1&P=0
Actually I only replaced the steering servo. I found the servo on the throttle worked well enough

Anyways. xDIRTYSOUTHx

But on redcat to ofna. In the 1/8ths the redcats are only around $40-70 cheaper than the Jammin X1 CR(yes very overpriced kit, and some sites they wanted more for the backdraft than jammin...). Honestly I prefer being able to walk into hobby shops, and being able to buy my parts, or ordering from the big shops on the net than having to pray to whatever deity you believe in that whoever on ebay carries redcat parts has the parts in stock.(I've read some VERY bad things about redcats parts being out of stock alot)

Jammin X1 CR owned since febuary. Parts broken 0
Jammin X1 CRT parts broken 1 A-arm But to be fair I got this used, and it was royally abused by its last owner. Only good part was I paid only like $100 for the roller. (I wanted a roller to make BL)
So I can say I'm a very happy jammin owner

BTW Himoto, and Exceed sell the same EXACT RC's as redcat (they are all relabeled HSP vehicles) if you want one bad look at those 2 also. I also know parts #'s are identical for all 3 companies with just the suffix changed(I found that out looking for dogbones for a project) only difference I read is redcat uses SH engines which (from what I read) are a bit better than the ones exceed or himotos uses.