RCU Forums - View Single Post - Optima 7 receiver ???
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Optima 7 receiver ???

ORIGINAL: ahicks Working with a small gasser- looking for some guidance. I'm wondering why they call the Optima 7 a 7 channel receiver? It would apear there are only 6 channels available when using conventional receiver power? I don't get why the one position is marked for battery as well as channel 7? Am I missing something? Can I run a Y-harness (or dual port extention) there to power the receiver/servos as well as provide for channel 7 (aux. elev or aileron is what I'm thinking here)? I've read a couple of times now it's possible to plug in power from a second battery directly to one of the channel ports on the reciever to increase amperage available to the servos (thinking is 2 batteries supplying power through 2 switches, both leading to receiver = extra amperage and increased redundancy)? Is this true with this radio (Aurora)? If I'm reading/understanding the intructions correctly, if I use the SPC port to add the second battery, I'm not going to get any extra power to the servos? If I decided to do this anyway, I would be providing assurance against "brown out" receiver power conditions? If I have channels 1-6 occupied, do I have other options for adding the second battery? A y-harness used on the rudder channel maybe? The data port? Or do I have to go with a 9 channel receiver? If this has been discussed recently, I'm fine if you'd just provide a link. I looked through the manual as well as the sheet provided with the receiver and saw nothing that might help me. Thanks much!
To reduce size, few receivers of any brand/kind now provide a separate battery port. This because the battery can be run through any vacant port or "Y" with one or more servos.
The SPCport powers the receiver side only and provides no power to the servos.

Optima Transceiver (RX) - Multiple Batteries may be installed Dual batteries for redundancy or even one for each servo.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #1 caution re NiMH.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #2 caution re NiMH.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC - SPC connection & Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps - NB: View warning Video re use of balance taps.
and much more at:
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links