RCU Forums - View Single Post - hand launching gliders
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hand launching gliders

hello. i'm becoming more interested in soaring and gliders and have read several threads here regarding them. unfortunately, i think all the ones i've read, involve the use and operation of a high start. is it really possible to get a glider in the air well enough to cruise a bit to catch a bit of a thermal or a little lift somehow to get it up a good ways? i fly in a valley, but unfortunately (again) the sides of the hills here in my area of WA state are pretty well covered with those big green things that atract planes. but there is a lot of farm land, so space isn't too terrible of a concern. i would just like to know if i'm setting myself up for a little disappointment and unable to get the plane in the air without a high start. buying the plane is more than likely going to get me in a bit of hot water with the "book-keeper", but i figure i could get away with the forgiveness easier than the permission, for the glider. also, i guess i should annotate that i'm looking at the great planes 2M spirit kit. i've read that the gentle lady is probably the best way to go for beginner gliders, but i like the looks of the spirit better with the actual canopy. maybe black with transparent red, and a little white for trim?