RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ever hear of a Sig Cessna 170 ?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 11:35 PM
linclogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever hear of a Sig Cessna 170 ?

Hey William -- do you think SIG might still honor that 15 cent credit slip???

You may recall I had asked you (and others) quite a few months ago about having this plan copied. Problem is, this plan is about 38" wide (shortest dimension) and I could not find anyone that could make a copy over 36" wide.

Today I went to an old (at least 25 years - maybe older) bluprint/copy service company in Sacramento to show them the plan and ask about getting copies made. They basically said the same thing - 36" wide is the maximum size that can be COPIED on a single sheet. So I asked how did Berkeley get the plans for their kits? Copyright date on the plan is 1954 so there must have been some way to do it back then. The answer I got was that the plan could NOT be a copy but actually an original print. In other words, the printing press (or whatever kind of printing machine) that printed the plan put them out one-at-a-time. It wasn't copied from a master.

They also told me there is a photo process that can be used, but they quoted me "$75 - $80" for one (1) copy. Just seems a little bit much for me.

What they said they could do is make a "spliced copy". By folding the plan in half, they make two smaller copies (of each half) then overlap and splice them together. But this is spliced professionally - not just taped together. Total cost for doing it this way is $13.00 - more my speed. Anyway, I'm having them do that and will report my observations when I get it back. If successful, I've also got an original plan of DeBolt's Sonic Cruiser that I want to get done and it has the same problem - it's a 38" wide plan.

Another thing I've been considering is cutting up the plan and by moving some of the components around, pasting it to fit a 36" wide sheet. But I didn't want to do that to the original. So I'm having 2 spliced copies made - one to build on and one to play with.

Jon