RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does anybody fly Accipiter Badius in here?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does anybody fly Accipiter Badius in here?

ORIGINAL: Galand

@madwebtvscientist
The new polyhedral wing arrived today.
Yes having fun is the main thing.Learning to fly is definitely fun even if difficult. I understand that Galland also had a tough time in the beginning.
I have one AB still in stock configuration but I fly it with a 3 cell lipo. It really moves, but we'll see how long the stock motor lasts.
The other AB I have gutted except for the servo's and installed a Raiden 400T outrunner with a 20A ESC, my own Rx that goes with the cheap Flysky T6A and a 7x4 folding prop.
Flies very nicely specially since I installed also a FY-20A stabilizer gyro. It is amazing and allows me to cheat and pretend that I can really fly.
I recently finished a 900mm Spitfire. It flew a glorious 3 minutes with my son on the sticks but came to a sad end. He forgot that a Spit is no glider, he stalled it on approach (it has like twice the stall speed of an AB) and broke it in two.
It's all on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeWO8iBdNnA
Galand, Wow! 3 cell LiPo - keep us posted. I may just have to try the same thing with my weak motor powered AB. What could possibly go wrong? Are you using the stock ESC on your hot 3 cell Lipo machine? I had to use two (2) of those little red plugs in parallel to deal with 2 cell current reliably on my ABs.

Your technology is very interesting. It's obvious you are a committed modeler. I hope you will continue to share your experiences. Unfortunately, my current web system won't allow me to see your video, sorry. I am working on up graded web systems.

Sorry to hear about your Spit. Carbon fiber tow material has saved a me lot of grief. It is such a great structure improver it's like getting something for nothing.

My PZ Spitfire was treated a lot like a motor powered glider. It can be left hand lunched dead stick and glide out 20 yards or so and can provide great controlled gliding practice. I actually did a lot of this kind of "flying" just to calm my stressed out nerves before actual terrifying powered fighter flight.

It took a long time for me to begin to actually enjoy flying fighters - way too much stomach churning WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF STRESS?! Even now after a few attention getting maneuvers I still tend to fly too high and, especially in windy weather, I tend to laze around in the sky and expose my "closet motor powered glider proclivities."

I still sense a certain whiff of danger every time I scramble my fighters for missions. So, in words used by the Military Channel . . . FLY HIGH, FIGHT, AND WIN!

madwebtvscientist (I hope RCU will get its animated smileys working again.) ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.