RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servo Resolution
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Servo Resolution

Hi Michael,
Because the system is not designed in such a way as to allow this. The all flying tailplane pivot rod is clamped into a a tube within two bearings, supported by a metal cage. This cage also suppots the servo. Each side of the clamp tube is a horn fitted with ball links on 3mm steel rods. These lead to the servo output arm which is double sided and the centres are exactly the same as the clamp tube horns. The system is designed to minimise any possibilty of slop, which it does extremely well, but at the expense of any gearing from servo to control surface.
The next problem is that this model is so large that it needs exemption certification from the CAA (same as your FAA) and to alter a proven design is a default fail. I would have to redesign the system and PROVE that it would not fail. Huge can of worms that I have no intention of opening so I have to find another solution. If reprogramming the servo down to circa 50% travel results in the standard resolution being available over the remaining travel, I will be quite happy.
As it is now, with the travel reduced at the Tx, the tailplane movement is very jerky.