RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foam Warship, a new addition to Combat Class!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM
nwcafesurfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Warship, a new addition to Combat Class!

Class synopsis:
A “combat class” warship made of wood & Styrofoam and armed with airsoft turrets. The ships don’t sink but the damage is real; aluminum foil panels are fitted to the superstructure and above the waterline. Hits are tallied at the end of the match and a winner is declared.
Sounds like fun but not convinced?
The benefits of this class over traditional “combat class” warships are many. Consider this; airsoft pellets are somewhat safer than ball bearings, and some are biodegradable. The materials used in construction are less expensive & easy to work with and repair (see plans below). Yes, part of the fun of “combat class” is watching your adversary plunge beneath the waves. But a foam battleship (aka foamie) is an excellent entry-level alternative.

Construction:
Two “proof of concept” prototypes are currently under construction. I have selected the 1:144 scale and have chosen the Japanese Mikasa and Russian Suvorov (both early Dreadnoughts that fought against each other in the battle of Tsushima). So far it’s going well; I have the frames built, and the decks are varnished. For the foam, I’m currently using one from Michaels; it’s more ridged than insulation foam but is a bit delicate & needs a protective coating.

That's all I got for now, hope to post more pictures soon!