View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Downwind turn Myth

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

ORIGINAL: highhorse

There is absolutely no AERODYNAMIC reason to take off into the wind. We do that for shortened ground rolls.

Once an a/c is in the air and not in contact with the ground, steady-state wind direction is completely, totally, 100% irrelevant aerodynamically.
a
And by what form of education can you instruct us as to a final theory. you don't know what your talking about. if 'im going 100 mph with a tailwind speed of 20 mph and i turn into that tailwind which now becomes a 20 mph headwind and all the time maintaining the said 100mph . your saying my airspeed doesn't increase? I'm talkng about airspeed over the wing , not ground speed. last time i knew 100 and 25 made 125. it makes no difference weather you enter a loop from the tailwind position . once you enter a headwind your airspeed ''at least over the wing'' increases . it's a common sense issue. the guy probably got to the top of the loop and stalled it, then fought it to the ground . or maybe something inside the plane messed up because he was inverted like his battery came loose ....

let me see you take off downwind with a scale turbine jet with a 20mph tailwind. wait ,let me get my video camera out first. i don't want to miss this one
LMAO... ya, ok. U smart, me dumb. Yes, I'm saying ur airspeed DOES-NOT-INCREASE. I'm saying that because it's a fact. (also, dude, the Airbus I make my living in is quite capable of of taking off in winds more than twice that, given a long enough runway. Even then, the limitation becomes one of tire speed, and not aerodynamics)