RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help to absoulte newbie!
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 07:35 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help to absoulte newbie!

hummmmmmmm, How come has mentioned the revo 3.3? Ive got 2 Nitro cars/truggies & 3 brushless car/buggie/truck.
Yeah we all know how good brushless is, trust me im a fan, But it has its time & place

From what ive found.... Brushless motors have a stupid power bands, The high kv motors that hold the speed generally have to much torque down low, causing excessice wheel spin & wheelies, thay are uncontroalble when u go full throttle from take off... depending on the motor sometime u have to baby them off the line (this is when a nitro is faster thay have a smoothe power delivary) & can still have this problem at say 1/2 there top speed.
Yeah its cool to show mates how crazy thay are but whats the point of having a really fast r/c car is u have to baby it to PLUSS 45km/h.
Ive allso noticed electric cars seem to be weaker, Nitro cars in general are stronger.
& one of the other thing ive found is brushless motors do ware out the drivetrain faster, no doubt about it.

Here is a video of my Baja King, Its hard to tell but it now does 107km/h & I exploded a tyre showing a mate what tyre balloning is. In this clip it had the punch setting set to the lowest & was geared for a top speed of 87km/h & running a 11.1v lipo
In the vid there is a few times when i Floor it, but most of the vid is 1/2 throttle. When i floor it u can clearly see how uncontrollable it is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNlVuntoDg[/youtube]

Honestly the most impressive car I own is my Revo 3.3, ultimatly its not as fast as my Baja King, but it can eat it up around a track. but honestly its fast enuff for its size (check youtube for them) & i havent had to replace anything mechanical on it for over a year, It just keeps on going, one of the best part ive even run it at the track for around 2 hours No probs at all. no way would a electric car do that with out 10 batterys. with the nitro providing ur radio gear batterys aint flat u can keep racing/bashing & this has been well suited fo me if i go for a drive with friends to race a bit.. & I dont have to worry about my batterys going flat in 20min like my brushless ones

And if u are looking for something that will kill most other off road trucks around a track look at the revo... it has won awards for a reason.

But if u are bashing in carparks, roads or back yards then maby go brushless.

But if u wanna go that 1 step closer to nearly unbrakeable
Have a look at the HPI Baja 5t or 5B
There exact chinese clone is heaps cheaper and have the same reviews. & the copy ones are in ur price range, JUST
Might be more suited to u Because thay use Petrol & u just add oil to make it 2 stroke & its easy & it cheap to get petrol, and u can get it anywhere
oh and the 2stroke sound is good, & u cant beat there sheer size

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuFzN0JTVE[/youtube]

This will be my next r/c car