RCU Forums - View Single Post - Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..
Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Stevedots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Did some work on the base of the main gear. I probably over engineered it but when mounting on foam I think more is better. First I cut the lower skin of the wing. As it turns out adding an upper layer to the wing worked out because it gave me extra room to install the base. First I added a piece of wood and epoxied it to the inside of the bottom skin. I used a Kelly clamp with a screw into the wood to hold the wood up against the inner wing bottom. Then I epoxied some thin plywood over that that piece of wood and over foam I had added as a rib for the wing. After that I added four pieces of carbon fiber rod to spread the load. I used a similar layout when adding retracts to my Parkzone T-28 and have had some 'firm' landing with that and it is still solid. Lastly I screwed in the base of the landing gear on top of the carbon fiber using some servo screws I had on hand. Later I'll fill in the carbon fiber slots with light weight spackel before painting. I moved the gear forward of the stock position to help with rotation at lift off. It had the added benifit of my carbon fiber overlapping one of the wing spars. I don't think this gear will be going anyplace....even with some of my landings!

I hope to get more work done this week to make up for the Holiday keeping me out of the workshop. Or maybe I should say "Vehicle Assembly Building"?

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fd91378.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1528223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13428.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1528224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32506.jpg
Views:	34