RCU Forums - View Single Post - Everything Radial Engines
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 04:25 AM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

Thanks for all the enlightening information Steve.
I am wandering why commercial outfits do not seem to follow Wally's example of producing Lost Wax castings for major parts like Crankcases and Jugs. It is probably cheaper than machinning from bar stock and can cut substanially on manufacturing time and therefore reduce the final cost. I realize that the market is small but do believe that if 5, 7, and 9 radials could be offered at a range of $1500 - 2500 there may be enough market to sustain continous production.
The biggest missing point in my opinion with radials like Saito is two fold:
1. Wrong Bore/Stroke ratios. The hallmark of full scale radials in Long Stroke which produces high torque at low rpm.
2. Running on methanol - expensive, messy and prone to rust.
Personal observation: The cost difference of making a 5 cylinder radial as opposed to a 7 or 9 cylinder versions using common parts such as jugs, pistons, valves etc. is not so big as to justify the big difference in asking price as reflected by companies such as Moki or Technopower. Commonality should and could reduce manufacturing cost considerably bt my impression is that many innovative companies do not adhere to sound business approach all too well.
Just my 2c.