RCU Forums - View Single Post - cub ground roll
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 AM
p51Dpony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cub ground roll

This thread has great and timely info that every level of experience benefits to review often.   While its true that most of our problems will be avoided if we let the plane get to flying speed before take-off, I think you've stumbled onto something way beyond taildragger this and taildragger that, something I like to refer to as "The MIsleading Innocent Appearance of the Spiraling Deathtrap Piper J3 Cub!!"[X(]

Cubs are unique and wonderful and a little bit unforgiving in a few scenarios, for this reason I try to keep one in our stable as every flight is a lesson in flight manners..-bad manners and you would crash.
 the first bit of etiquette already mentioned:  get to flight speed before takeoff and use low rates during takoff.   But if you think you're in the clear because you got your cub off the ground you are gravely mistaken![X(] because now the 'innocent' and 'misleading' traits come into play:  A cub flys so slow and majestically that you think on a slow low pass you can keep slowing it down, yeah, it will just crawl by, and my H9 cub and my 1/4 cub do just that, but when its time to throttle up at end of said slow pass that cub is gonna need time... too fast a throttle up and you will be spinning into the ground.  Once it starts that spiral into the ground you're just hanging on for the crash if you're low, if you're high no prob because cubs recover from the spin after just one spiral of nose-down... but we were doing a low and slow pass so basically we just crashed.  A GENTLE ACCELERATION and/or GENTLE CLIMB OUT is even more important when re-accelerating after a slow-low pass than at take-off.  Know this, it's what separates the Jedi's from the jawa's.